Smugmug goes to NASCAR

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in Sports
Well I've been invited to go to Pocono Speedway in Long Pond PA for the NASCAR Race June 8th.
Friend at work is a local volunteer Fire Fighter and their department goes to one of the tracks within 2hrs drive every year.
He is allowed to take one guest....asked me this year....ofcourse I said YES!
All I hafta have is $75 to secure a seat on the bus and I'm supposed to get that back when I show up for the bus.
I'll have the ole Smuggy strap on the snap box and hope for plenty of pics.
Anyone been to any of these events that can give me some pointers?
I've never been to a NASCAR Race ever.....wish I had credentials to get in the Garage area! :cry
I'm hoping for pics and a few autographs if possible.

My arsenal has the perfect lenses for such photography and will give me a great chance at motor sport photography which I haven't done in 15yrs or more.

Any input is very much welcomed!
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Grow a mullet.
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Always wanted to go to an event, heard they're a lot of fun in person.
    I know I for one couldn't race like that - it's extreme
  • LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Well I've been invited to go to Pocono Speedway in Long Pond PA for the NASCAR Race June 8th.
    Friend at work is a local volunteer Fire Fighter and their department goes to one of the tracks within 2hrs drive every year.
    He is allowed to take one guest....asked me this year....ofcourse I said YES!
    All I hafta have is $75 to secure a seat on the bus and I'm supposed to get that back when I show up for the bus.
    I'll have the ole Smuggy strap on the snap box and hope for plenty of pics.
    Anyone been to any of these events that can give me some pointers?
    I've never been to a NASCAR Race ever.....wish I had credentials to get in the Garage area! :cry
    I'm hoping for pics and a few autographs if possible.

My arsenal has the perfect lenses for such photography and will give me a great chance at motor sport photography which I haven't done in 15yrs or more.

Any input is very much welcomed!
    Pocono is a super speedway, so there is not much action on the strightaways, I would go high in the stands to get the shots of them coming out of a turn or go to the base of the stands and shoot thru the fence in either direction,
    Good luck and bring Ear plugs
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Grow a mullet.

rolleyes1.gif Yeah riiiight my mullet days are over!

edited April 14, 2008
    LUCKYSHOT wrote:
    Pocono is a super speedway, so there is not much action on the strightaways, I would go high in the stands to get the shots of them coming out of a turn or go to the base of the stands and shoot thru the fence in either direction,
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com

HUH what did you say?ear.giflol3.gif

• zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Grow a mullet.

Best advice yet Jim... lol
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Your gonna need a fast camera a long lens and lol
    edited April 14, 2008
    Your gonna need a fast camera a long lens and lol

Got a long enough lens with my 80-400mm just hope it's fast enough.
    Walk around lens at 24-70mm F2.8 should have me covered there.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I've been going to Pocono for close to 20 years, and I enjoy it very much. It sounds like you are doing a 1 day trip to the track - I usually spend the entire weekend there, and I try to spend part of it down on pit road during practice. You can get on pit road Sunday morning (up until about an hour before race time) if you buy a pit pass (it will run you around $30) but be forewarned - pit road is a zoo race morning. If you don't get a pit pass, you can still shoot the cars from the grandstand pre-race after they are rolled out by the teams:
    182946692_Xb8X8-L.jpg

Otherwise, you are pretty well limited to your seat in the grandstand for photos. When they come down the front stretch, you probably won't get great shots - between the fence, and the cars running close to the wall, it doesn't give you much for shooting. And no, you cannot go up to the fence to shoot through it. Your long lens will be fine to shoot the cars on pit road (I'm using a Canon 100-400):

181797816_8B4ks-L.jpg

Here's one through the fence into the garage area (you need a pit pass to get to the garage area).
    233911366_T5gTr-L.jpg

Here's an ARCA car wrecking in Turn 3 during practice a couple of years ago (shot from pit road)
    85865928_cZQaX-L.jpg

I have a few galleries from Pocono here (I still haven't editted everything from last year!):
    http://moose135.smugmug.com/Sports/335932

Definitely bring hearing protection and sunscreen. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Maybe we can meet up at the race.
  • streegshooterstreegshooter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I had the chance to shoot all of Speedweeks in Daytona this past February and had a blast. I didnt have a photographers pass or rights to go anywhere special beyond my Garage pass.

Here are a few random shots:

Got frame-by-frame of the 'Big One' in the Truck race Friday night (Shot from the Sunoco tower outside of Turn #4)
    1_000.jpg

Tony Stewart rolling down pit road during final practice
    2_000.jpg

Daytona 500 flyover - One of many fun shots I got of that
    3_000.jpg

Full gallery of pictures is HERE
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    LUCKYSHOT wrote:
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com
    Except at Pocono, the front straight is the longest in NASCAR, some 3,800 feet long, and very wide - it's not unusual to see them go 3, 4 and sometimes 5 wide. It is a big track - 2 1/2 miles around, shaped like a triangle (only 3 turns) - so shots of the turns can be tough from the grandstand, unless you are sitting down at one end of the grandstand or the other.