First attempt at Candid / Portrait shots

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in People
I've never attempted candids or portraits before but took a few shots @ F1.8 / 50mm at my cousins 2nd birthday party.

I know there's a lot to do to improve on these but overall, I'm pleased with the results for my first attempt :)

She looks a little unhappy in some of them however she was far from it. Whenever she sees a camera, she just stares at it mesmerised :)

279078311_gDdR5-O.jpg

279078468_bT9DE-O.jpg

279078631_nc2Xj-O.jpg

279078785_cjmdA-O.jpg

279078908_JB7iv-O.jpg

279079073_SSAq7-O.jpg

279079259_bpEJJ-O.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Nice series Ian...especially 4 and 6.
    Might I suggest black and white for those as it will tone down the orange wall and bring the focus back on your great model.
    E
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Nice series Ian...especially 4 and 6.
    Might I suggest black and white for those as it will tone down the orange wall and bring the focus back on your great model.
    E

Thanks for the kind comments and advice :). I'll definitely try the B/W
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I love #1, 3, 6 & 7 (can you sharpen the eyes in this one?) clap.gifclapclap.gif

Is her name Alice, by any chance? She would be perfect as Carroll's character! I can vividly imagine her discussing life with a rabbit, a queen and a mad hatter etc!! She and the ambiance are so Victorian!

For that reason I think the colors are magnificent. They remind me of the printed metal tins which are so typical of the Victorian period when factory methods offered hoi polloi delights of pretty decoration and color. Please keep the very special color in them, it is so olde nursery tale-like.

She will so cherish these.

Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    All are nice but that last one is fantastic. The only nit is the fingers just behind her head. It a second to notice. Great job for a first timer at portraits.
    edited April 14, 2008
    Neil,

Thank you very much for your comments. Her name is Olivia which is still quite an old name however the old names are making a big comeback in the UK (not sure if you're in the UK) and it is a very apt name for her. :)

I totally agree about the Alice, Rabbit etc. She'd be perfect for it :). I am working on sharpening the eyes as much as I can without making them look unnatural. Once I get a result I'm happy with, I'll repost it here.

Eoren, I did try a B/W Conversion to see how it would look but I just can't get the result right.

Travis, I agree about the fingers. I did crop it down but it seemed to chop some of her hair away and didn't seem quite right.

Still, I know I'll have lots of opportunity to get more shots.

Thanks again all :)
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    All nice

in #2 I'd like to see her framed higher and to the left--so there is space in the direction she is looking, and not so much headroom.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Nice shots. #7 is my favorite thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    What an adorable child! Nice shots and she's a wonderful subject. My only thought is that due to the distracting surroundings, I probably would have shot with the camera in portrait orientation and cropped closer. I certainly don't object to landscape portraits, in fact, I shoot a lot of them. Pretty good for your first attempt! thumb.gif
    edited April 15, 2008
    Thanks again :o)

I'll certainly take onboard all of the suggestions for future shoots :o)