Ugh, D200 problem(s)???

The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Cameras
So, I think something might be wrong with my D200.

I was out yesterday at the golf course shooting horses and I wanted to use a shutter speed of 500. I put it on S priority and went to town. If I took multiple shots in a row one would be exposed right, the others are either too dark or blown out. It's done this before when shooting golf too.

Then, the 70-200 f/2.8 wouldn't focus. It's on AF-C & auto/manual on the lens like always. Wouldn't focus, but I could focus manually. After trying to take a picture (which it wouldn't) you can hold the camera to your ear and hear a faint ticking noise inside the camera. Taking the lens off and cleaning the contact points did nothing. Turning off/on did nothing. 3 mins later, it works.

If the D50 can do it (shoot @ 1/500th, the D200 should)

So, any ideas?
I can't wait to get a D300 lol, hopefully I get a good one.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Wow. Better you than me. headscratch.gif I'll be watching this thread! What about with other lenses?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Wow. Better you than me. headscratch.gif I'll be watching this thread! What about with other lenses?

It might be the 70-200, I'm trying to remember if it did it on the D50 as well. I think it might have.
  • ipduffyipduffy Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Bracketing?
    Is it possible you had auto exposure bracketing turned on inadvertently?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 14, 2008
    If this problem did happen on more than one body, it is likely the lens. The "clicking" noise could be the VR system of the lens.

If the problem is isolated to one body it could be the autofocus system, but it would likely affect other lenses.

I would also be interested in the atmospheric conditions. Was the camera cool? Was the air damp? Etc.

More testing is indicated.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If this problem did happen on more than one body, it is likely the lens. The "clicking" noise could be the VR system of the lens.

If the problem is isolated to one body it could be the autofocus system, but it would likely affect other lenses.

I would also be interested in the atmospheric conditions. Was the camera cool? Was the air damp? Etc.

More testing is indicated.

I think I just need to reset all the menu items and start over. It really annoys me about the whole images underexposed, overexposed and one good one.

I had a perfect sequence shot for a golf swing, and only 2 out of 6 pictures were good enough to use. (I had to take off RAW cause I only had ONE card on me)

I'm gonna try to play around with it some more (the lens) but I'm just busy at work.
    edited April 14, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    ... It really annoys me about the whole images underexposed, overexposed and one good one.

I had a perfect sequence shot for a golf swing, and only 2 out of 6 pictures were good enough to use. (I had to take off RAW cause I only had ONE card on me)

Instead of shooting in shutter priority mode, switch to all manual exposure and review the histogram and "blinkies" for proper exposure. If there are clouds and the sun is peeking in and out you may have several different settings to use but see if you can't get more control of the camera in manual mode.

Auto-exposure modes can get confused in outdoor situations.
    ziggy53
    edited April 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Instead of shooting in shutter priority mode, switch to all manual exposure and review the histogram and "blinkies" for proper exposure. If there are clouds and the sun is peeking in and out you may have several different settings to use but see if you can't get more control of the camera in manual mode.

Auto-exposure modes can get confused in outdoor situations.

I wanna say that I tried manual mode as well and it did the same thing.
    However, I'm gonna try it again this week.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I had the same problem once on my D200 and discovered that I had inadvertantly hit the bracketing button.

Have you checked your exif data on your pictures to see if the settings were the same for all the captures?

You have to give the VR at least a second before depressing the shutter release. If you turn the camera off while the VR is in operation the lens may start to make a chattering sound (according to the lens instructions) when it is moved quickly.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited April 14, 2008
    I just wonder if it has something to do with the metering maybe? :dontknow:
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    I just wonder if it has something to do with the metering maybe? :dontknow:

Eric,

Have you checked your exif data on those shots?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • LedaLeda Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    I hate to bring this up, because everyone else had more positive suggestions...but what if you've got some sensor challenges going on? I made it through wedding season last year w/mine and Nikon doesn't know how I did it due to sensors going.

The challenges that I had was the auto focus would not work, a fully charged battery was showing dead, the controls would lock up, and it would not shoot consistantly. I would have to turn it off, sometimes pull the battery, and say a prayer. I was at around 27k clicks and my understanding is it's rated for 100k. It went to see Dr.Nikon.

I'd give Nikon a call and see what they say...
    edited April 15, 2008
    I'm gonna test it out this week and see if I can note down any changes so I know what I'm talking about when I get them on the phone.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Well, it was the 70-200 f/2.8
    It did it again to me last night at the Atlanta Braves game on the D50.

Stopped working (auto focus) so I just went manual the whole game. Oh well.
    Time to send it into Nikon
    edited April 22, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    Well, it was the 70-200 f/2.8
    It did it again to me last night at the Atlanta Braves game on the D50.

Stopped working (auto focus) so I just went manual the whole game. Oh well.
    Time to send it into Nikon

I hope you get a rapid resolution to the problem.
    ziggy53
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thanks, me too. But I can afford to be with out it right now - I can shoot wide angles at the golf course lol
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I hope you get a rapid resolution to the problem.