Friday Night's Prom

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in People
Well, It seems this year my girls are attending a couple proms each. Both of them attended their own prom Friday night. I will post others from Saturday night's prom later. We also have one more next weekend I think.

The kids had a great time, and thankfully they all made it home safe and sound.

Anyway, here is a selection of the snapshots I got before the prom. Not really looking for C&C on these, but mainly just sharing for the benifit of other parent/photographers who are facing prom time as well. These are all uncropped and have recieved very minimal PP.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy.

1- "Tina"( my oldest daughter....a senior)
- I gave it a go with a Phoxle CTO gel on the flash. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
279241889_fxRkw-L.jpg

2- "Hairspray"
I did not post this for artistic value, but more to show that there are easier and cheaper ways to get that diffused look to your photos. Just creep in close with your $1k lens(you can see me to the upper left) and apply a generous coating of hairspray. In reality, we nearly had a standoff since she did not warn me she was about to spray!

279251271_FcWuv-M.jpg

3-"Final Touches"
This is more of what I was going for in #2
279260900_zk7xk-L.jpg

4-"Bre and Tina".....my girls!!
279274341_F4wQA-L.jpg

5-
279274017_HJ5wf-L.jpg

6-
279276537_G2EdF-L.jpg

7-Customarily, our kids usually meet with friends at someones home for group get togethers and photos. This is a shot of Tina looking out the back window while we were on the way to her group gathering. We were stuck in traffic. I did not get a photo of her with her date as he was kept late at baseball practice and did not catch up with the group until they were at the resturant.

279283402_YVeHQ-L.jpg

8-
279286761_xSs7q-L.jpg

9-
279287792_CSCk7-L.jpg

10-
279291198_yuXS7-L.jpg

11-
279295937_DhmPn-L.jpg

12-
279195659_tHmdu-L.jpg

13-
279200262_hRoLm-L.jpg

14-
279184135_2nCrs-L.jpg

15-
279174059_b4uyp-L.jpg

16-
279176644_uvyoG-L.jpg

17-
279178717_xtqao-L.jpg

18-
279158806_DioBB-L.jpg

19-
279220578_AjpYi-L.jpg

Comments

• MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Jeff,

You've got some really nice shots. The colors are amazing and your daughter and her friends look beautiful.
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    MarkW wrote:
    Jeff,

You've got some really nice shots. The colors are amazing and your daughter and her friends look beautiful.

Thanks Mark.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Beautiful photos of beautiful daughters. You are a blessed man.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Beautiful photos of beautiful daughters. You are a blessed man.thumb.gif

Thanks. I didn't feel so blessed when I got the bill for dresses, hair, nails, tans, etc....but.....I am very proud of my son and both girls.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I know it's the girls night, but do you have more pics of the guys? I'm loving the suits especially the orange one!

Your daughter has a look I can only classify as Hollywood superstar at the moment!

I love #3, 15, 16, and 17 (did you flash 15-17?)!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Super good!!!! Nice color, lighting. . . all great!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Very nice. I am goign to be shooting a bunch of seniors going to prom in a few weeks. Thanks for posting those thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 15, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I know it's the girls night, but do you have more pics of the guys? I'm loving the suits especially the orange one!

Your daughter has a look I can only classify as Hollywood superstar at the moment!

I love #3, 15, 16, and 17 (did you flash 15-17?)!

Thanks!!

I will NOT tell her you said that!!

Yes those three photos used flash.

279291819_zdn8y-M.jpg279289314_TSVfi-M.jpg
    279292215_WbDkn-M.jpg
    279190034_zKZwA-M.jpg279257397_vsjwr-M.jpg
    edited April 15, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Super good!!!! Nice color, lighting. . . all great!

Thanks Josh
    edited April 15, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Very nice. I am goign to be shooting a bunch of seniors going to prom in a few weeks. Thanks for posting those thumb.gif

Good luck. If it is an informal gathering such as this was it can be tough. For each kid there were at least two adults in attendance. This makes for a tough time taking a shot of who you want without others in the BG. Also....and this is the biggy....there will be an "in charge" type mother there somewhere who wants to get all of the kids together for a group shot. She will invarably stage them up against the worst BG in site (like the garage door here) and put them in horrible light.....even though shade is only a few feet away. The only shot posted here in full sunlight is the group shot at the garage. The rest, I pulled them into the shade of the home next door or waited for a cloud to pass beneath the sun. Stick with what you are comfortable with and don't worry about what/where other parents are doing with their cameras.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Nice job with these, Jeff.

I particularly love the orange suit!!mwink.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yes those three photos used flash.
    That's great then. I couldn't tell so I thought I'd ask. artist.gif
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks!!

I will NOT tell her you said that!!

I think she already knows.... :tuesday 9496500-Ti.gif

Thanks for postin the extras!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    That's great then. I couldn't tell so I thought I'd ask. artist.gif

I think she already knows.... :tuesday 9496500-Ti.gif

Thanks for postin the extras!

You know the flash was used right when you can't tell if it was used.
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    These are wonderful shots. I love the look!
    edited April 15, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nice job with these, Jeff.

I particularly love the orange suit!!mwink.gif

Laughing.gif,

I think it would look great on you Mitchell!!
  • socialcrawlsocialcrawl Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    adorable/precious
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Jeff....amazingly beautiful young ladies you have there. Great shots that make you feel as if you could sense the excitement and anticipation of the upcoming event!!! A+++ great job my friend.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited April 16, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Jeff....amazingly beautiful young ladies you have there. Great shots that make you feel as if you could sense the excitement and anticipation of the upcoming event!!! A+++ great job my friend.

Thanks Randy. I am pleased with the results. These types of events are the main reason I decided to get back into photography. Everything else has really evolved from there. BTW the real suspense and excitement is waiting for them to get home safe. Other than photographic possibilities....I dread prom nights.

Thanks for commenting!
    edited April 16, 2008
    OOPs...I forgot that I did a review of the Flash Gels I have been using lately.

Here's the link...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=90882
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    over all are nice images
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    For what it is worth... I think you did a fantastic job. Better several paid jobs I have seen. clap.gif
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 18, 2008
    kombizz wrote:
    over all are nice images

Rhinotherunt vbmenu_register("postmenu_806612", true);
    Big grins

image.php?u=12919&dateline=1163617280

For what it is worth... I think you did a fantastic job. Better several paid jobs I have seen. clap.gif
    My Gear

Thanks to both of you for the compliments.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thanks Jeff for the link to the flash filters....very innovative. Just saw you posted a few more. Again, very nice work. When it comes time for marraige (sorry, things Dad's don't want to think about) give me a call. Would love to shoot it for you....Laughing.gif. Splendid assortment of photos here in this thread and the others. Very lovely.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 18, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Jeff for the link to the flash filters....very innovative. Just saw you posted a few more. Again, very nice work. When it comes time for marraige (sorry, things Dad's don't want to think about) give me a call. Would love to shoot it for you....Laughing.gif. Splendid assortment of photos here in this thread and the others. Very lovely.

Weddings....Hmmmm....

I did three last year that turned out great. I have turned one down this year that I felt like I should avoid, and another that I really wanted to do, but couldn't due to my work schedule(at the job that actually pays the bills). I am hoping that I will be able to match myself up with at least one this year. As for my kid's weddings...when that time comes.....I dunno. I would probably hire....and then spend a lot of my time taking my own shots to keep my nerves from getting the better of me. I have a wonderful gal photographer who is the wife of a friend. She assisted me with two weddings last year. She owes me a ton of favors. IF I could get her trained up right I would be happy for her to do the honors. She is much better at landscape and wildlife than people, but is coming along nicely!!! I think all she really lacks is confidence.

Thanks for the compliments.

BTW....can you give me a quote on a wedding now....full coverage...and can I hold you to that price when they decide to get hitched?:D It may be a ways down the road....she is looking to become a surgeon....so has a tad bit of school ahead of her yet!!!rolleyes1.gif