Advice on Camera and Lenses

dancer52dancer52 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 16, 2008 in Cameras
I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTI last October for a personal use camera. However, over the winter, due to my love of taking motorsports pictures, I became the track photographer for a local dirt track. I then bought a Canon 75-300mm Telephoto EF Zoom Lens f/4.0-f/5.6 with IS. I learned later that I really need a faster lense. Anyway, I'm in the market now to buy a new camera and use this one for a back up (had problems with the memory card reader this past weekend) and all the accessories (or a good start) that I need. Where I shoot from is about 150-200 feet from the track in the turns. The track has decent lighting, but with the current lense, I've been having to use a very slow shutter speed (like 1/30) to get enough light in to get a decent picture. What I would like to know is what camera would you recomend? Also, what lense and do you think I should purchase an external flash? I would like the camera accessories for the camera's to be interchangable in case I have to go to the back up camera.

If I left anything out, please let me know. I am new to the DSLR world so I am still learning a lot everyday!
www.dancermotorsports.com - Check out my pictures but beware, I am a beginner and I don't know what I'm doing!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
  • dancer52dancer52 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I would like to keep it under $3000 for now, but we'll see if that's enough....lol
    www.dancermotorsports.com - Check out my pictures but beware, I am a beginner and I don't know what I'm doing!
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    dancer52 wrote:
    I would like to keep it under $3000 for now, but we'll see if that's enough....lol

Canon 40D with Kit (1400) 70-200 f/2.8 IS L (1600)

With taxes and shipping you end up right around 3000.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 14, 2008
    Dancer,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

For around $3000 I would suggest:

Canon 40D camera.
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM
    Canon EF 300mm, f4L (IS if you cannot find the older version without. The older version would be used, but a great lens.)

That combination would be a bit over budget unless you can find the EF 300mm, f4L used.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 14, 2008
    Thanks for the replies! I am going to look into the 40d and the lenses listed so far. Any suggestions on a flash?
    edited April 14, 2008
    I forgot, but I'm also suppose to start taking feature winner pictures. Would the 70-200mm zoom lense work ok for that? I'm not sure of the distance I have available to take the picture there, but how far away would I have to be from the car to take a picture at the 70mm range?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I'll second ziggy's suggestion--that's more-or-less what I would use. For the winner shots, it depends on how much room you have. At 70mm you'll have to be back a ways to get the whole car in; I'd swtich to a wider lens if it were me--perhaps the Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. If it's while in victory circle, I'd definitely go with a wider lens, as I have yet to see one clear enough to allow the distance needed for a 70mm shot. ;)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    dancer52 wrote:
    ... how far away would I have to be from the car to take a picture at the 70mm range?

You should be able to get a very good "feel" for what the 70-200mm lens will be able to do by using your 75-300mm lens and limiting the range to 75-200mm. The Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM will be a similar view, just much better speed and quality.

If you need wider, Chris is giving good advice above and I agree with his recommendations.

Suggestions about the flash:

I would recommend the following, and in about this order:

Canon Speedlite 580EX (II)
    Sigma EF-530 DG Super (E-TTL-II)
    Canon Speedlite 430EX

The 580EX and Sigma units are similar in feature set, but the 580EX has a bit more power, external power options and a much nicer interface/control (but not as nice as the original Canon 580EX, IMO). The 580EX is considerably more expensice than the Sigma.

The Canon 430EX is not as powerful but still packs a pretty good punch. It also lacks some of the advanced features of the other two flashes. It is similarly priced to the Sigma flash.

Any of the flashes will require a considerable amount of testing and learning before feeling competent.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 15, 2008
    Thanks a bunch for all the help! I am going to order the 40D today with the 28-135 lens kit and the 2.8L lens and start from there. I went by a local camera store today to look at the camera and lens first hand. I also talked to the guy about the flash and he doesn't think it will help unless I was within 40 feet of the cars. I've heard this before from another photographer a few years ago. I think I'm going to hold off on the flash for now and see how it goes.

Man, I'm excited now! I can't wait for our next night at the track!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    dancer52 wrote:
    Thanks a bunch for all the help! I am going to order the 40D today with the 28-135 lens kit and the 2.8L lens and start from there. I went by a local camera store today to look at the camera and lens first hand. I also talked to the guy about the flash and he doesn't think it will help unless I was within 40 feet of the cars. I've heard this before from another photographer a few years ago. I think I'm going to hold off on the flash for now and see how it goes.

Man, I'm excited now! I can't wait for our next night at the track!

Very good choice. I just bought a 40D and I'm loving it.

Something that you will probably really like about the 40D is that it goes up to 3200 ISO and also has a Noise Reduction feature for high ISO settings. You should be able to get excellent action shots with the 2.8L on the 40D. I can't wait to see some of the shots you take thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I agree with the flash, you'll only get use in the closer victory circle-type shots. On track, it will be too much distance. That in mind, I personally would not go with the 28-135, it's a variable aperture of f3.5-5.6--that's kind of slow. In the same price range you can get the 70-200/4 which might be fast enough; but best would be the 70-200/2.8L. The main advantage of the faster aperture will allow you to gain a faster shutter & freeze the main subjects: fast-moving cars. Your shooting situation is a bit like mine: it really will show the abilities of a good DSLR rig, but you need the expensive glass to make it work well.
    edited April 16, 2008
    I agree with the flash, you'll only get use in the closer victory circle-type shots. On track, it will be too much distance. That in mind, I personally would not go with the 28-135, it's a variable aperture of f3.5-5.6--that's kind of slow. In the same price range you can get the 70-200/4 which might be fast enough; but best would be the 70-200/2.8L. The main advantage of the faster aperture will allow you to gain a faster shutter & freeze the main subjects: fast-moving cars. Your shooting situation is a bit like mine: it really will show the abilities of a good DSLR rig, but you need the expensive glass to make it work well.

I just bought the 40d kit because for the price, it seemed to make since. I think it would make a good general purpose lense. My 2.8L lense should be at my house tomorrow, so I can't wait! With finals, work and everything else, I didn't get much chance to play with the 40d last night. My daughter has a soccer game tomorrow, so I think I'll bring it then....lol :D