Saturday Night's Prom

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in People
My younger daughter and her date from Saturday night.

1-
279451768_FuWBr-M.jpg
2-
279453350_hV8Xe-L.jpg

3-
279455409_8QMCd-L.jpg

4-
279462145_Epfto-L.jpg

5-
279471102_VN4xo-L.jpg

6-
279474686_zMAoS-M.jpg

7-
279479702_f8EFn-M.jpg

8-
279486203_Eav84-M.jpg

9-
279493281_SyS6t-M.jpg

10-
279491483_C7F7e-M.jpg

11-
279445405_TWDEp-L.jpg

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Very nice pictures! Beautiful daughter and a good looking group!

If you don't mind me asking what all were you using for these shots and what did you do in post? I really like the look these shots have to them. Very nice colors, etc...

Flash, reflectors, camera, settings?

Thanks!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Very nice pictures! Beautiful daughter and a good looking group!

If you don't mind me asking what all were you using for these shots and what did you do in post? I really like the look these shots have to them. Very nice colors, etc...

Flash, reflectors, camera, settings?

Thanks!

For ALL of these:

Canon XTi in AV mode. Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS lens. Canon 580EXII flash with Phoxle Flash Match light blue gel. No reflectors. WB is a custom WB set in RAW editor. I use Adobe Lightroom. I did no processing beyond the RAW adjustments/ conversions. Nothing fancy in Post at all.

For the Flash settings....I can't say. I try to use enough fill to give them a boost, but not so much as to throw shadows......so I am constantly adjusting the Flash Exposure Compensation dial.

Hope that helps?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Thanks! That does help!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Real nice Jeff. I like how the flowers complement as a background of her gown. Looks like she had (hoping :D) a real nice time. Look at all those crazy parents shooting wildly..Laughing.gif Good job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Real nice Jeff. I like how the flowers complement as a background of her gown. Looks like she had (hoping :D) a real nice time. Look at all those crazy parents shooting wildly..Laughing.gif Good job.

Thanks!!!
    The flowers, arbor, pickett fence is right out the back on our patio. My wife and I built it all from scratch, and have spent over a decade cultivating and maintaining the garden. Our own eden?

It is a great spot for these kinds of photos.

These are my youngest daugter. She is only a sophmore so has a few proms left. They left the dance early and went to see the movie "Prom Night" with some other couples. Can you imagine? At a movie dressed like that?
  • Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Jeff great photos!

I would have to say # 2 with how the the flowers frame her very well and # 6 with the focus on flower i think those are my favorites

One thing though not sure how nit picky u wish to be but think its possible to say clone stamp the skin a little to eliminate her tan line?

I got a bunch of friends getting married in over next few months and all the ladies are worrying about tan lines and stuff. Specially the one with a beach wedding lol so i just notice those things in photos.

BTW read your other thread great photos there as well, Very beautiful daughters and with such classy dresses. I would hate to foot the bill for all that!
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Very nice shots. I am shooting a bunch of seniors going to prom in a couple weeks, so these give me some ideas. Thanks for posting them thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 15, 2008
    Little T wrote:
    Jeff great photos!

I would have to say # 2 with how the the flowers frame her very well and # 6 with the focus on flower i think those are my favorites

One thing though not sure how nit picky u wish to be but think its possible to say clone stamp the skin a little to eliminate her tan line?

I got a bunch of friends getting married in over next few months and all the ladies are worrying about tan lines and stuff. Specially the one with a beach wedding lol so i just notice those things in photos.

BTW read your other thread great photos there as well, Very beautiful daughters and with such classy dresses. I would hate to foot the bill for all that!

I am not concerned with the tan lines in these photos at all. I am thinking that she can look at them and realize how simple it would have been to use some sunscreen. They all get spray tans now days anyway so there is no excuse for getting sunburned anytime....much less a week before prom.

For wedding photos I wouldn't worry about it either. If they are concerned with tan lines then they should avoid having them. If they want them removed in every photo from a wedding then they should have to pay extra. A lot extra.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    beautiful shots!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Really, really well done Jeff.
    You've got a beautiful model and turn out consistently great shots of her (and her friends).
    E
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    A beautiful bunch of people and photos! (Love your patio area, too!) My faves are 2, 11 and I like your details shots as well. The group of parents cracked me up! Don't they know that you have it well under control and they might as well get their shots from you?? :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Oh my two superstars in the same family? Love the work on the hairstyle!

#9 I thought the guy with the glasses was wearing those nice sandals with heels. eek7.gif

My fav is #2, then 5, 6, and 7.

Not that you even want to think about this yet, do you think you would want to shoot your daughters weddings or would you just want to be there and let someone else handle those duties?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    #9 I thought the guy with the glasses was wearing those nice sandals with heels. eek7.gif

I had to do a double take on that one too...heehee! The legs just lined up too well!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited April 15, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Really, really well done Jeff.
    You've got a beautiful model and turn out consistently great shots of her (and her friends).
    E

I appreciate the kind comments!
    edited April 15, 2008
    :D
    Elaine wrote:
    A beautiful bunch of people and photos! (Love your patio area, too!) My faves are 2, 11 and I like your details shots as well. The group of parents cracked me up! Don't they know that you have it well under control and they might as well get their shots from you?? :D

The only parent there who I knew was the mother of the guy who asked my daughter to prom. She and I are very good friends. I had her to spread the word that I would post what I grabbed on my webspace, and how to find it. She then emailed them a gallery link yesterday when I got them uploaded. THey were all having trouble fitting all of the kids into their cameras in the group shots. I had no problem there with the 17-55. Anyway someone emailed her back to ask if she had hired me....Laughing.gif.

I give stuff like this away. I would be there for my kids anyway. I don't go out of my way to try to get pics of everyone, but will snap off whatever I see of interest. They can either DL or order prints of these at cost in a 4x6.

I did tell her to be sure that they knew I do senior portraits. Most of the kids here are Juniors!!:D
    edited April 15, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Oh my two superstars in the same family? Love the work on the hairstyle!

My fav is #2, then 5, 6, and 7.

Not that you even want to think about this yet, do you think you would want to shoot your daughters weddings or would you just want to be there and let someone else handle those duties?

I noticed that myself. Maybe I added in too much contrast there to keep separation.

Edit....I forgot to answer the wedding question.

That is a ways off in the future I hope. My son is farther along there I think. I think I would tell them to hire someone for the ceremony and reception, but not to worry about spending a ton on some superstar photographer. I would definately want to do the bridal portraits, and could handle the ceremony. I doubt I would want to be responsible for getting the reception covered rather than just enjoy the reception....but who knows. More than likely I would be taking photos the whole time just to keep from being nervous about it all. Time will tell.....but hopefully no time soon.
    edited April 16, 2008
    ....a few more...

279437090_HUAvC-L.jpg

279437401_o4mfK-L.jpg

Friday night's photogs...
    279246584_tCuVf-L.jpg

They are posing for someones Mom
    279156024_GjxVS-L.jpg
  • wompom1wompom1 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    -beautiful daughter
    -very nice landscaping
    great shots-. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

btw, Perfect timing on this info 4me that you provided.
    now, back to trial and error

Thank you
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Fantastic work...
    Jeff,

Seriously, I stalk your work. I get on DG every couple of days and one of the first things I do is look through the People gallery for any of your recent work. Your shots is consistently great, and I'm continually amazed that you do it all on an xti--equipment's certainly not everything (which you regularly prove), I just find it amazing that someone of your caliber is shooting on Canon's entry-level system.

Seriously, GREAT work dude.thumb.gifthumb.gif

-JB
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Great shots. Beautiful daughters. They could both be models. Love the snap shots of all the parents, relatives, and friends.

Sam
  • mosallmosall Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I really like 6. Very nice.
    edited April 20, 2008
    CTUphoto wrote:
    Jeff,

Seriously, I stalk your work. I get on DG every couple of days and one of the first things I do is look through the People gallery for any of your recent work. Your shots is consistently great, and I'm continually amazed that you do it all on an xti--equipment's certainly not everything (which you regularly prove), I just find it amazing that someone of your caliber is shooting on Canon's entry-level system.

Seriously, GREAT work dude.thumb.gifthumb.gif

-JB

Thanks.....at least I'll take the "stalking" as a compliment. As for equipment....well...............

I see it at least every other month. I get my "Outdoor Photography" or "Popular Photography" magazine in the mail, pop it open, and usually find among all the readers photo entries at least one that looks as good or better that has been shot with a kit lens and entry level DSLR right there along with shots from the higher end gear. While the bells and whistles vary, any DSLR is certainly capable of capturing a decent image in this day and age. My gear fetish consumes me as much as the next guy I guess, but the gear really plays only a small part of what any image will ultimately look like. I think that knowing how to utilize the gear along with composition and style play a much larger part than the gear itself. I fully intend to get a more rugged camera body someday, but for now I am still whittling down a list of lenses that I would like to have. I don't expect to suddenly become more talented when I do finally get a pro level camera, but who knows!!mwink.gif

You 've paid me a kind compliment. Sheesh....now I have to live up to it!!!:D