Options

All time best -- Motorsports

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 9, 2004 in Landscapes
Rules for All Time Best Threads

Actually, this game has only one rule. You can only have one all time best photograph in any given category. This follows from the definition of "all time best".

You may make a gallery of you best shots in a category and post a link to it. I find that doing this helps focus the mind on choosing the best. And besides, it's fun.

OK, I'm no good at this, so I expect some help. My archive in this category is very thin. In fact there is only one event I have attended in the last 40 years that qualifies -- The Annual Nantucket Fire Department Demo:

3147794-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2004
    motorsports eh??? this could be good! Time to go diggin' through the archives...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    not too much for me in the way of motorsports, but found this one:

2280631-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    :yikes Internal combustion! :yikes

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    639872-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    jdellisjdellis Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    not too much for me in the way of motorsports, but found this one:
    Erik:

Looks like XIIR? I was at their debut event in Cincinnati. Lots of fun!

My XIIR pics: http://jdellis.smugmug.com/gallery/58406

_______

Anyway, my favorite pic from last year is P.D. Cunningham's TeamRTR Nissan Sentra that competes in SPEED Touring Car. Picture was shot inside T7 at the end of the backstraight at Mid-Ohio during their race Sunday morning of the CART weekend. The missing taillight and splitter damage are from a first lap incident. Cunningham charged through the field from around 25th to finish well inside the top ten. Lucky shot of a beautifully liveried car.

730707-M-1.jpg

-jde
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    jdellis wrote:
    Erik:

Anyway, my favorite pic from last year is P.D. Cunningham's TeamRTR Nissan Sentra that competes in SPEED Touring Car. Picture was shot inside T7 at the end of the backstraight at Mid-Ohio during their race Sunday morning of the CART weekend. The missing taillight and splitter damage are from a first lap incident. Cunningham charged through the field from around 25th to finish well inside the top ten. Lucky shot of a beautifully liveried car.

-jde
    Hey, nice shot! By the way, my name is Doug, I work for Turner Motorsport, we race 3 BMW's in Speed Touring car. I managed to get a photo credential for Lime Rock this year, (Memorial Day), so expect some shots to be posted here.

In the meantime, here are some shots of our cars from this year that I took:

2754903-M.jpg

2754907-M.jpg

2807518-M.jpg

3065450-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Hey, nice shot! By the way, my name is Doug, I work for Turner Motorsport, we race 3 BMW's in Speed Touring car. I managed to get a photo credential for Lime Rock this year, (Memorial Day), so expect some shots to be posted here.

In the meantime, here are some shots of our cars from this year that I took:

2754903-M.jpg

2754907-M.jpg

2807518-M.jpg

3065450-M.jpg
    Nice bimmers, but is any of them your all time best shot of motorsports?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Nice bimmers, but is any of them your all time best shot of motorsports?
    No, not yet. :) I don't expect that to happen until Mem. day.

If the rules are that strict here, I can delete the post. If they are relaxed, and we are just sharing photos, I will keep them up.

Let me know,

Doug

PS: Suggestion, when replying to a post, it may be a good idea to delete the photos of the person you are quoting, so you don't have duplicates on the thread.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    No, not yet. :) I don't expect that to happen until Mem. day.

If the rules are that strict here, I can delete the post. If they are relaxed, and we are just sharing photos, I will keep them up.

Let me know,

Doug

PS: Suggestion, when replying to a post, it may be a good idea to delete the photos of the person you are quoting, so you don't have duplicates on the thread.
    No, leave your post. I don't want to be a dictator, I just want to try to see if the ATB game is actually interesting with the proposed rules. It would be all to easy to have each of the ATB threads become the same as non ATB threads. The idea is to get us to dig through our archives and see what made for good and bad pics -- and what made for the very best one versus the next best. I found this a useful excercise.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    jdellis wrote:
    Erik:

Looks like XIIR? I was at their debut event in Cincinnati. Lots of fun!
    _______

-jde
    XIIR indeed - in Amherst, MA. It was pretty cool - and I see that your percentage of in-focus shots was almost as bad as mine

rolleyes1.gif

All I see of your "best" shot is a red x...
    Erik

• Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    These really can't be classed as my all time best, but they are my real first attempt so maybe they are up to this point.

Posted in another thread, the Carolina Crusher:

3117207-L.jpg
    This is after quite a bit of manipulation in PS. It really is not a good exposure, but it sure highlights the action.

A couple I took last Sunday. My son races a shifter kart and I will be taking may more of these. Hope to post some good action shots from the first corner! mwink.gifmwink.gifmwink.gif

3165302-L.jpg

3165301-L.jpg

Hope you all have a great day. I think I'd better head to work.

Hutch
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    Nice, Hutch. If these are your best motorsports shots, my vote is for the monster truck. It might not be the best technically, but the degree of dificulty is more than high enough to compensate.

When I chose my best individual sports shot, I had lots of stuff in my archive, but the girl on the snowboard was not only technically good, but it was also really hard to get. I know that because I spent a day the the terrain park and the rest of the shots were way off the mark.

The go-carts are very nice, but you can go back any Saturday and reshoot and probably improve each time, perhaps not technically, but in terms of subject, composition, &etc. I'll bet you won't get another monster truck like that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DravenGSXDravenGSX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2004
    I love the first go-kart shot. Very nice.

I'm new to digital photography and this pic was posted in another thread.. It is from this years 12 Hours of Sebring.

3056668-S.jpg
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    hutchman wrote:

3165301-L.jpg

Hutch
    Great shots, hutch. Thanks for the "visor highlight" too. thumb.gif

I desperately need to get me a dSLR. Motorsport is definitely my passion and favorite photography subject.
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    XIIR indeed - in Amherst, MA. It was pretty cool - and I see that your percentage of in-focus shots was almost as bad as mine

Yeah, not of one my better batches of pictures, but I'm still learning how to shoot in low light conditions. I had similar troubles at times the following day when we went to Detroit for the Auto Show.

DoctorIt wrote:
    All I see of your "best" shot is a red x...
    Smugmug must've hiccuped, as I can see it fine at the moment. headscratch.gif

-jde
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Thanks! I'm quite familiar with the yellow/blue Bimmers. :D I shot several pics of them at Mid-Ohio and Road Altanta. Just didn't get lucky with a shot like the Nissan.

Also, I used to race against Dave of Team CSL in SCCA ITS. I believe you guys leased his Grand-Am Cup 330i for Daytona.

/end off-topic blathering

-jde
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    X-Games in Aspen
    Don't try this at home.

3142731-M.jpg

Taken at the ESPN X-Games in Aspen, January 26,2004
    http://expn.go.com/expn/winterx/2003/story?id=1717142
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2004
    I'm having some trouble with dgrin tonight, hope this goes!

I am probably breaking the rules, but I like this shot of our #1 manchild. I am going to rate it my new #1 motorsports shot.

3390453-L.jpg

Hutch
  • Options
    dougingdouging Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2004
    This isn't an action shot but....2458706-M.jpg

It's not my best motorsports shot but those are not digital.

This is from the Castle Hill Concours, Ipswich, Mass, 2002. More Car galleries here: http://douging.smugmug.com/Cars
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    I'm having some trouble with dgrin tonight, hope this goes!

I am probably breaking the rules, but I like this shot of our #1 manchild. I am going to rate it my new #1 motorsports shot.

3390453-L.jpg

Hutch

That's a nice one. The machine and background are blurry, but his faceshield and upper torso are in focus. Speed and focus - cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2004
    Thanks, Waxy.

These are a lot of fun to take. I sure seem to take a lot images for the few good ones. Maybe someday they'll be easy.

Hutch
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Thanks, Waxy.

These are a lot of fun to take. I sure seem to take a lot images for the few good ones. Maybe someday they'll be easy.

Hutch

Oh Lord, I know what you mean. And as if you're not shooting enough, were you shooting the action sequences in "burst" mode? That's why I want a used 1D -- 8 frames per second, baby! Talk about sentencing myself to wading through a bunch of c**p shots!
    Sid.
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    1351733-L.jpg
    What's this button do?