Options

New brand rules - no smugmug name or logo allowed

2»

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    This is a good point. Those companies have created great brands and understanding what they've done with web services and developer logos/branding, etc., would be really useful.

I'm working on understanding their terms and what the foregoing prohibitions are, but this doesn't look very encouraging:

The foregoing prohibition includes the use of "amazon," any other trademark of Amazon or its affiliates, or variations or misspellings of any of them, in the name of an Application or in a URL to the left of the top-level domain name (e.g., ".com", ".net", ".uk", etc.) -- for example, a URL such as "amazon.mydomain.com", "amaozn.com" or "amazonauctions.net" would not be acceptable.

More when we know more.

Thanks,
    Baldy

Just to be clear, I think it's safe to say all naming stuff is currently on hold while we get a definitive answer about it.

Clearly, Amazon doesn't let you use their name in your app OR your domain name, and I imagine we may have to do likewise, but there was enough discussion here that we're getting a definitive answer.

It probably means everyone will have to agree to a boring (we'll try to make it as humanly readable as possible) terms of use, but it should erradicate the gray areas, I hope.

Until then, I'm locking this thread. Stay tuned.

Don
This discussion has been closed.