What a mess!!!!

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 23, 2008 in People

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Assuming this cute boy is your grandchild...
    Laughing.gif you haven't been around your grandkids enough if you think that's a mess rolleyes1.gif

I can't get any good shots of my daughter when she's at her finest.. I'd never touch my camera w/ my hands that dirty trying to clean it up :D

But I guess that's the joys of being a grandparent.

The on camera flash kills the shots though. If off camera isn't a solution. Try ceiling bounce or ambient w/ higher ISO.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Laughing.gif you haven't been around your grandkids enough if you think that's a mess rolleyes1.gif

I can't get any good shots of my daughter when she's at her finest.. I'd never touch my camera w/ my hands that dirty trying to clean it up :D

But I guess that's the joys of being a grandparent.

The on camera flash kills the shots though. If off camera isn't a solution. Try ceiling bounce or ambient w/ higher ISO.

Actually it is a son of a friend. I was in a hurry so didn't grab the external flash. Good comment. You are right.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Actually it is a son of a friend. I was in a hurry so didn't grab the external flash. Good comment. You are right.

And the "horizon" is crooked - the floor is at an angle because of the way you positioned yourself on the floor with the camera.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited April 15, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    And the "horizon" is crooked - the floor is at an angle because of the way you positioned yourself on the floor with the camera.

good point; thanks. I was laying on the floor so was struggling to get it composed right.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Wonderful captures of a little kid moment! I'll bet the parents love them.

Virginia

Email
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I hope that isn't your grandchild rolleyes1.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    messy!
    SloYerRoll wrote:

just had to show off this mess!!
    248443841_67SUy-M.jpg
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Josh,

A couple of suggestions of my offering is only to be helpful...

Get out there and look on the web....look, look, look....consider...think...what do you see about shots that really appeal to you? Is it the light, the composition, the mood, the processing, the depth? Snapshots are ok...we all have lots of them. Taking more of them does not tax your abilities.....stretch out....try to capture unique photos...study....read...look at what is different from "normal" shots to the exquisite. Strive to emulate the ones that appeal to you..mimic them to start if you will. This will make you become more cognizent of framing, lighting, composition, mood. Taking a coulple hundred shots per day will NOT make you improve. Studying what separates good photos from normal WILL. Practice that.

These have all the elements of "snapshot". Bad lighting without interesting mood (other than a messy kid) is a sure fire way to mediocrity. I know you can do it....just be patient...work hard at understanding light...it's always about the light....any photographer worth his salt understands this primary concept. You'll do great...I'm certain of it. Slow down and really take each photo as if you were to hang it on the wall...that will put things in perspective.

I hope this doesn't come off as a "Know it all" or some bizzare statement. I truly want to help.

Swartzy
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Idea for a thread...
    How about a thread devoted to these type photos, you know what I'm talking about, kids with food or mud or just plain ol' mess! I know I have a few to contribute. Great pics
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
    edited April 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Josh,

A couple of suggestions of my offering is only to be helpful...

Get out there and look on the web....look, look, look....consider...think...what do you see about shots that really appeal to you? Is it the light, the composition, the mood, the processing, the depth? Snapshots are ok...we all have lots of them. Taking more of them does not tax your abilities.....stretch out....try to capture unique photos...study....read...look at what is different from "normal" shots to the exquisite. Strive to emulate the ones that appeal to you..mimic them to start if you will. This will make you become more cognizent of framing, lighting, composition, mood. Taking a coulple hundred shots per day will NOT make you improve. Studying what separates good photos from normal WILL. Practice that.

These have all the elements of "snapshot". Bad lighting without interesting mood (other than a messy kid) is a sure fire way to mediocrity. I know you can do it....just be patient...work hard at understanding light...it's always about the light....any photographer worth his salt understands this primary concept. You'll do great...I'm certain of it. Slow down and really take each photo as if you were to hang it on the wall...that will put things in perspective.

I hope this doesn't come off as a "Know it all" or some bizzare statement. I truly want to help.

Swartzy

No offense taken. My wife asked me to take this picture--a moment from her view point. It was all I could do to get down on his level.

I am reading and spending more time than I should on this these days. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 23, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    How about a thread devoted to these type photos, you know what I'm talking about, kids with food or mud or just plain ol' mess! I know I have a few to contribute. Great pics

How about starting one yourself? mwink.gif
  • qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    How about starting one yourself? mwink.gif

done!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=812095#post812095