Prom Shots...

Kevin L. KitchensKevin L. Kitchens Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in People
Daughter's quasi-high school/college prom was the weekend before last -- she'll be going to her highschool prom this upcoming weekend, so hopefully the weather won't force us indoors. Most of these were with flash off-camera ala strobist, though I'm not so happy with how they all turned out. The room was low-ceiling, white, with fluorescents that I forgot to have turned off.

Live and learn. Salvaged with Lightroom and Photoshop.

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0005_Edit.jpg

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0007_Edit.jpg

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0013_Edit.jpg

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0021_Edit.jpg

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0059_Edit.jpg

2008_04_05_GAMES_PROM_0086_Edit.jpg
Kevin L. Kitchens
"Know me through my lens."
My smugmug: http://peiklk.smugmug.com
My site: http://www.photographyvoice.com [POTD, Blog, News, & more!]

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    Hi Kevin,

Looks like you need some work on your flash settings. Maybe if you post a bit of EXIF and camera settings data someone can lend a hand.

ear.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Did you use some sort of noise removal on the photos? They appear to look very plastic.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I find flash to be a bit of a crapp shoot. here is what I am learning. Take a shot, take a peak, dial the flash up or down. these seem a bit hot.

Also, I think the shots would be better if you stood on a chair so it is not so up the nose.
  • Kevin L. KitchensKevin L. Kitchens Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Good tips all, thanks.
    Kevin L. Kitchens
    "Know me through my lens."
    My smugmug: http://peiklk.smugmug.com
    My site: http://www.photographyvoice.com [POTD, Blog, News, & more!]
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Live and learn. Salvaged with Lightroom and Photoshop.

Kevin, I love your shots, but I'm curious for my own use: Any idea what's causing all the banding in these images? Was it something in post, or just JPG artifacts?
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    holy red batman!~
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    Kevin, I love your shots, but I'm curious for my own use: Any idea what's causing all the banding in these images? Was it something in post, or just JPG artifacts?

I am learning here. . . what is banding, and what normally causes it?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I have seen two types.

Not sure about terminology but I'll give it a shot.
    Noise banding: These are bands of noise that show up when a higher ISO images' exposure is pushed in post processing. Normally the noise would appear fairly evenly spread, but when upping the exposure it jumps out in bands.

I have also seen color banding on images that have sharp gradients....such as a vignette...and are then oversaturated. Sometimes this only appears in a resized image.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Only thing I can add is I'm shocked at how orange #3 turns and the last two could have benefit from a different view and full body. For instance I'd love to see the shoes of the girl in the middle in the last one (all of them really). In the one above it she looks like she's falling forward.

Flash is not a crap shoot, it's just not the easiest thing to learn about photography.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com