Gary
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    These are fine poppy shots! The third one is very nice.

So, do you know if Murietta is named after the bandito, Joaquin Murietta?
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    #2 and 3 are my favs- nice set! :D
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    These are fine poppy shots! The third one is very nice.

So, do you know if Murietta is named after the bandito, Joaquin Murietta?

aahhh Joaquin ... what a great story ... up there with Zorro. I really don't know if there is any kind of relationship between the two ... Joaquin worked in the Mother Lode country which is pretty far away from the city.

Gary

'ere's another
    279776123_PC3Cc-M.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    #2 and 3 are my favs- nice set! :D

Thanks kitvan

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I like the comps, but I think the colors are a bit oversaturated for my taste. So that makes #2 my fav. The bottom right corner of #3 has a nice white triangle from a rotation (?). Looks like a great location!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I like the comps, but I think the colors are a bit oversaturated for my taste. So that makes #2 my fav. The bottom right corner of #3 has a nice white triangle from a rotation (?). Looks like a great location!

oops ... okay fix #3 ... didn't do anything to the saturation, but a lot of peoples are complaining ... so maybe I'll reprocess and de-saturate a bit

Gary

279778631_8SBtw-L.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Seefutlung wrote:
    aahhh Joaquin ... what a great story ... up there with Zorro. I really don't know if there is any kind of relationship between the two ... Joaquin worked in the Mother Lode country which is pretty far away from the city.

I think it may have been around there that he had a hideout, or got caught up with. Can't remember, will have to look it up. Murrietta hot springs, hm. Sound familiar?

The Zorro story is said to have originated off of Joaquin's legend.

It can get real deep from here, but my favorite version in a nutshell;

Explorer John Fremont comes across the lone survivor of a massacre in the desert. He sends the kid east to live with his Father-in-law. The kid is bent on revenge and runs back to California. After a series of beatings and the murder of a brother (that had already been living in California), he joins a band of outlaws known as, 'The Five Joaquins.' They each take turns committing crimes in the name of Joaquin Murrietta. It looks as if Joaquin can be in two, three places at once. The kid is well-trained as a 'Joaquin.'

Whether the 'real' Joaquin was beheaded or not remains a mystery. Either the kid (using the name Joaquin Murrietta), or the kid and the original Joaquin escape to live a long, and fruitful life in Mexico. Another product of the band is another young man named Tiburcio Vasquez (Vasquez Rocks- which is why I wondered if Murrietta is named after a 'criminal' also). Tiburcio becomes known as 'The Gentleman Bandito', and also, 'The Last Californio.' Tiburcio after years of robberies and horse-thieving, ended up getting hanged for a murder he did not commit.

Again, fine poppy photos. I thought they looked proper. All that thick and rich color naturally attracts pollenators.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    I remember that the governor created the "California Rangers", a posse just to catch the five "Joaquins". There was a shootout in the Central Valley somewhere between the Rangers and the Joaquins. The Rangers pickeled the head of The "Joaquin Murrieta" in brandy as well as the hand of one of the members (... Three Fingers Gonzales or something like that), and the head and hand went on tour around California. (Every old timer in every community says that Murrieta had a hideout there ... I heard that JM had a hide out in the Chino Hills as well ... which may be true in light of your Fremont comments because the only battle in SoCal for the Republic of California occurred in Chino .. and I think Fremont was involved in that battle.)

I never heard/read that there was a relationship between JM and Fremont. Those were the days ...

Gary

279775668_axFWk-L.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I remember that the governor created the "California Rangers", a posse just to catch the five "Joaquins". There was a shootout in the Central Valley somewhere between the Rangers and the Joaquins. The Rangers pickeled the head of The "Joaquin Murrieta" in brandy as well as the hand of one of the members (... Three Fingers Gonzales or something like that), and the head and hand went on tour around California. (Every old timer in every community says that Murrieta had a hideout there ... I heard that JM had a hide out in the Chino Hills as well ... which may be true in light of your Fremont comments because the only battle in SoCal for the Republic of California occurred in Chino .. and I think Fremont was involved in that battle.)

I never heard/read that there was a relationship between JM and Fremont. Those were the days ...

Curses, I got a trip this weekend. Just as well though, I could go on and on about what I'd like to think I know about this. :D

I didn't know that about the battle occuring in Chino. I remember something about Kit Carson and E.F. Beale saving the day? It's been a few years since I've gone over the history.

There's a disparity of about ten years in the Fremont/Murietta legend. So it's probably not true. I've always felt that legends, half-truths, tall-tales and sometimes outright lies, breed historians. It all makes for good sitting around BS'ing and enough for someone who's really interested to research the "truth."

I grew up down near Chino. So the tidbit about the battle is interesting. Thinking of Chino, did you know the Mormons originally intended to settle there? Isaac Williams was married to Don Antonio Maria Lugo's daughter. Williams, wanted to sell to the Mormons, but Don Lugo, who gave Williams the Chino rancho, dissuaded him (or threatened) and Williams sent the Mormons to Lugo's son's rancho out near the astencia in Redlands. The Lugo brothers were eager to sell. The rancho out there was plagued with Indian problems and the Mormon 49'ers were sent there to settle, rather than the preferred pasture lands in Chino.

Gottrun...
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Curses, I got a trip this weekend. Just as well though, I could go on and on about what I'd like to think I know about this. :D

I didn't know that about the battle occuring in Chino. I remember something about Kit Carson and E.F. Beale saving the day? It's been a few years since I've gone over the history.

There's a disparity of about ten years in the Fremont/Murietta legend. So it's probably not true. I've always felt that legends, half-truths, tall-tales and sometimes outright lies, breed historians. It all makes for good sitting around BS'ing and enough for someone who's really interested to research the "truth."

I grew up down near Chino. So the tidbit about the battle is interesting. Thinking of Chino, did you know the Mormons originally intended to settle there? Isaac Williams was married to Don Antonio Maria Lugo's daughter. Williams, wanted to sell to the Mormons, but Don Lugo, who gave Williams the Chino rancho, dissuaded him (or threatened) and Williams sent the Mormons to Lugo's son's rancho out near the astencia in Redlands. The Lugo brothers were eager to sell. The rancho out there was plagued with Indian problems and the Mormon 49'ers were sent there to settle, rather than the preferred pasture lands in Chino.

Gottrun...

lol ... I knew the Mormon settled in San Bernardino ... and that the old downtown of San Bernardino is patterned after Salt Lake City. I didn't know the details of how/why they ended up in the Inland Empire.

I grew up in Chino. The battle occured at a location that is now in the City of Chino Hills. I heard that Kit Carson was involved. The Americans were holed up in a hacienda a few miles out of town and went under a one day seige ... at the end of the day the Californios set the roof of the hacienda on fire which ended the battle. Afterwards all were invited to a BBQ.

Gary

PS- To correct the eariler post ... it was Carson not Frermont ... man it has been a long time since I've discussed local history. Thanks,
    G
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Seefutlung wrote:
    lol ... I knew the Mormon settled in San Bernardino ... and that the old downtown of San Bernardino is patterned after Salt Lake City. I didn't know the details of how/why they ended up in the Inland Empire.

I grew up in Chino. The battle occured at a location that is now in the City of Chino Hills. I heard that Kit Carson was involved. The Americans were holed up in a hacienda a few miles out of town and went under a one day seige ... at the end of the day the Californios set the roof of the hacienda on fire which ended the battle. Afterwards all were invited to a BBQ.

Gary

PS- To correct the eariler post ... it was Carson not Frermont ... man it has been a long time since I've discussed local history. Thanks,
    G

One last note before I shove-off for the weekend. The Adobe-Slaughter House is NOT a slaughter house! It's named after the Slaughter family. I'm not sure if it's even adobe.

Thanks again... :)
    Anybody can do it.