Portrait lense for the D40

javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Cameras
I'm looking into getting a good lense for portrait photography. I have a D40 and while I don't mind manual focusing, I'm looking for a prime lense or something that gives me f/1.4 or f/1.8 for that really great bokeh.

I heard that Nikon is releasing (soon) a lense with AF-S 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, or both. Anyone have any updates on that? Or can recommend a good portrait lense for the D40?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    ... I'm looking for a prime lense or something that gives me f/1.4 or f/1.8 for that really great bokeh.

I heard that Nikon is releasing (soon) a lense with AF-S 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, or both. Anyone have any updates on that? Or can recommend a good portrait lense for the D40?

I believe both the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D and the f1.8D are very competent portrait lenses. Additionally the Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D is a great head-shot portrait lens.

On the Nikon D40 I would also recommend the use of a focusing aid like a viewfinder magnifier. All of these lenses have such a shallow DOF wide open that manual focus is going to be difficult.

(ziggy edit, I wish could type.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    On the Nikon 40D
    Trying to brainwash Nikon shooters to your Canon ways.. Huh Ziggy? rolleyes1.gif (j/k)
    edited April 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Trying to brainwash Nikon shooters to your Canon ways.. Huh Ziggy? rolleyes1.gif (j/k)

Sorry folks. That's what happens when old people type. mwink.gif

Thanks for the heads up SloYerRoll.
    ziggy53
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Sigma just released a 50MM f1.4 for the D40, but we aven't seen a price yet, although I'm guessing about $250. And Tamron also introduced at least three lenses with a Built In Motor (BIM) for the D40 and D60. They have a 17-50MM f2.8 ($479), and a 70-200MM f2.8 for $699 which I just pre-ordered. It should be out in about a month.
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I don't own a D40, but I do own several other Nikon bodies. I just can't believe how Nikon has dropped the ball with this body requiring AF-s lenses for AF functioning.

They have no fast, AF-s primes for portraiture. Rumor of the AF-s 50mm has been around for a while with no release date in sight. You may want to consider a third party lens rather than holding your breath.

Can you tell I'm annoyed?headscratch.gif
    edited April 21, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    I don't own a D40, but I do own several other Nikon bodies. I just can't believe how Nikon has dropped the ball with this body requiring AF-s lenses for AF functioning.

They have no fast, AF-s primes for portraiture. Rumor of the AF-s 50mm has been around for a while with no release date in sight. You may want to consider a third party lens rather than holding your breath.

Can you tell I'm annoyed?headscratch.gif
    I hear what your saying, but I think your looking at this with blinders on.

I'm pretty sure you shoot w/ D2h/x cameras and other high end gear. So your demands for Nikon are pretty steep (as they should be).

The D40 was designed for the casual shooter that wants a jack of all trades lens (i.e. 18-200 VR) and doesn't want to mess w/ allot of details. That's why this camera has the green "Auto" setting and higher end DSLR's don't.

They are just catering to a different type of consumer. One that coan't or doesn't want to break the bank to shoot w/ a DSLR. So when it came time to rim the fat to reduce price, this saw a vaible option.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I hear what your saying, but I think your looking at this with blinders on.

I'm pretty sure you shoot w/ D2h/x cameras and other high end gear. So your demands for Nikon are pretty steep (as they should be).

The D40 was designed for the casual shooter that wants a jack of all trades lens (i.e. 18-200 VR) and doesn't want to mess w/ allot of details. That's why this camera has the green "Auto" setting and higher end DSLR's don't.

They are just catering to a different type of consumer. One that coan't or doesn't want to break the bank to shoot w/ a DSLR. So when it came time to rim the fat to reduce price, this saw a vaible option.

You're right, I shoot with a D2Xs. The problem is, this cost cutting move on the D40 has created an entire class of Nikon shooters who cannot utilize the extensive Nikkor collection. The OP wants a high quality portrait lens. He sounds like someone who will eventually upgrade his body. He should be able to buy Nikon glass now that he will be able to use in the future.

I've recommended Nikon equipment to dozens of people. I always steer them away from the D40. I highly doubt that the cost of this motor was so great that they couldn't include it in this entry levely camera.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I'm looking into getting a good lense for portrait photography. I have a D40 and while I don't mind manual focusing, I'm looking for a prime lense or something that gives me f/1.4 or f/1.8 for that really great bokeh.

Get a 70-200/2.8 of some type. The most useful lens you'll ever own.

My $.02 and I'm sticking by it!:D

Gene
    edited April 21, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    this cost cutting move on the D40 has created an entire class of Nikon shooters who cannot utilize the extensive Nikkor collection.....

I always steer them away from the D40. I highly doubt that the cost of this motor was so great that they couldn't include it in this entry level camera.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    If I had known how I would have fallen in love with taking photos I would have sprung for a different model, but I can't quite afford another body at the moment.

I would really love a prime lense for the D40, even if it's not from Nikon. Can you guys think of one that's decent?
    Get a 70-200/2.8 of some type. The most useful lens you'll ever own.

Any recommendations on this kind of lense?
    edited April 24, 2008
    If I had known how I would have fallen in love with taking photos I would have sprung for a different model, but I can't quite afford another body at the moment.

I would really love a prime lense for the D40, even if it's not from Nikon. Can you guys think of one that's decent? ...
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe both the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D and the f1.8D are very competent portrait lenses. Additionally the Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D is a great head-shot portrait lens.
    ... Any recommendations on this kind of lense?

The Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200mm, f/2.8G IF-ED is a splendid lens. Not my first choice for portraiture, but not bad either.
    ziggy53
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    For portraits, I've seen these recommended most for Nikons :)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 $429.00
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381616-REG/Sigma_300306_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html

Nikon 35mm f2.0D $319.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92011-USA/Nikon_1923_Wide_Angle_AF_Nikkor.html

Nikon 50mm f1.8 $109.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Nikon 50mm f1.4 $284.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97413-USA/Nikon_1902_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Nikon 85mm f1.8 $399.95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/84151-USA/Nikon_1931_Telephoto_AF_Nikkor_85mm.html

Out of these, I have the 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and love their magic, just picked up a nice 35mm 2.0 manual focus and haven't had a chance to really test it out. Should you decide to later get a different body, at least the lenses will still work with the better body.:D
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I would wait for sigma to release the price on their 50mm prime lens, hopefully it will be very soon!
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com