Options

How to do a UV shoot ? Any ideas ?

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Technique
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about UV photography and how to light and shoot it ? I may just help out an MUA whose looking for a photographer to do such a shoot as a last resort. I'm googling for info but nothing so far thats made me work out how it's done.

Any hints and tips on this would be really cool, esp if its way otu of my league as I can then point her in the right direction.

Cheers

Harj

:D :thumb

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    What is UV photography?headscratch.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    I've got no idea and hence the question but this is basically the concept -

The MUA is going to use UV makeup on the model and this makeup literally glows in the dark and i think the only way to capture it is using UV photography I think headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Cheers

Harj
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Sounds like you'll need those black lights for the UV(glow-in-the-dark) make-up to show. For sure don't forget to remove the UV filter if you have one on the lens. I have no idea what kind of exposure to expect. My guest is more black light would result in a shorter exposure. Maybe someone on this forum has done this. Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    If you are trying to capture UV light with a camera, you'll need some very specialized gear because the glass used in most camera lenes is largely opaque in the UV spectrum. Most UV photography is done with quartz optics and if you do a google search on quartz optics you will find a range of suppliers. Film is usually quite sensitive in the UV, but if you want to use a DSLR for UV photography you may also need to have the anti-aliasing filter over the sensor removed.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    If you are going to use UV lights to stimulate pigments to fluoresce, the fluorescence is generally visible to the naked eye, and hence, photographable by a camera whether film or silicon.

LA is correct, that UV light will be blocked by almost all glass lenses. Quartz optics will be a specialty item. I have not heard of them being available for typical DSLRs.

I think I recall FUJI selling a DSLR that is set up to shot IR and UV for forensic use, but have never had the privilege of shooting one.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the info - I might look into renting the Fuji S5Pro IR UV + lens for the shoot. It looks as if it could be a seriously cool shoot but it sounds as if its going to be a pretty complicated buisness.

Cheers

Harj
  • Options
    ktmbmwktmbmw Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2008
    I have taken a number of pictures of things with glow-in-the-dark paint and UV light sources (halloween decortations and party goers); you don't need a special camera, the light is visible so just shoot it.
    You might want to use a secondary light source to add detail or more color range.
    Check out my avatar, that is a glow-in-the-dark plastic decoration lit from below.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    ktmbmw wrote:
    I have taken a number of pictures of things with glow-in-the-dark paint and UV light sources (halloween decortations and party goers); you don't need a special camera, the light is visible so just shoot it.
    You might want to use a secondary light source to add detail or more color range.
    Check out my avatar, that is a glow-in-the-dark plastic decoration lit from below.

I haven't done anythng with UV make up buuuut I have photgraphed some gem specimens using standard 100 iso print film (fuji film and fuji AX3 camera/w 28-105) and bracketed like crazy to get one or three pics on a whole roll of 24......minerals look very bright but the meters says not so brite........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thanks everyone foe all of your help and I now think I know how to go about doing this - apparently what teh MUA wants to shoot is also called blacklight photography. I'mm going to buy some UV paint and a UV light or two and play around and see what I can do before looking at renting any quartz glass or the Fuji IR/UV cam.

Cheers

Harj

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you are going to use UV lights to stimulate pigments to fluoresce, the fluorescence is generally visible to the naked eye, and hence, photographable by a camera whether film or silicon.
    Harj - I think this is the key. Unless you are getting into something REALLY special (ie: forensics), the UV light is going to the excitation source, not the emission. Pretty much any flourescence works this way, so insist on knowing the emission spectrum, you might find it is actually very high frequency and filters can help you (guessing here).

Now bear in mind all of what I just said comes from microscope work and not makeup, I'm not nearly that cool.
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 22, 2008
    A simple rule is that if it is visible to the naked eye, it can be captured on film or silicon with a camera that records visible light. The UV merely stimulates the emission of visible light from the subject.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin