Drippy day pictures

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in People
Hello! This is Rhiannon- and she is a return customer... I shot some pictures for her last year and she loved them so much she wants me to do some more for her this year... and every year thereafter. It is her plan to have portraits taken by me every year on her birthday! Pretty fun stuff...
She turned 20 on the 14th. (Which was, by the way, when we took these)

1. She is a huge fan of Charlie & the Chocolate factory and kept on saying... "Good morning starshine... the earth says hello!" (It is not really selective coloring... just selective color boosting... Don't make fun of me... wimper... wimper)
279883190_9c5tJ-M.jpg
2. It was pouring down rain and quite cold.... Man are glasses hard and a pain to take pictures of. Thank goodness for photoshop. If anyone has any tricks for glasses, I would sure love some.
279895733_Z82nz-M.jpg
3. You can see her quirky attitude and it lends to some fun shots.
279866441_riSes-L.jpg
4. She is a seriously fun person... You all would enjoy her!
279868023_LAg4Z-M.jpg
5. Then we went to the muddy and frozen dugout. My second favorite of the set because I think I am finally getting the off camera flash down.... 580ex and STE2 of course...
279857450_RY9Pw-L.jpg
279857389_d4GnH-M.jpg
279854573_MaWEZ-M.jpg
8. (she calls this one her jailbird look)
279849201_fk93Z-M.jpg
9. An old abandoned dairy building..
279904535_fcqvC-M.jpg
279858292_2wJoL-M.jpg
7. I call this the "Carrie Underwood Smile" And this is my favorite (after that masking, I have to at least like it, right?)
279861284_fENv6-L.jpg

Anyway... I hope you liked a glimpse of the character that I
get to hang out with every year.

Seriously, let me know if you see anything I could do to
make these better. I always like a good critique! And a bad one too!

Comments

• BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I am no CCer, but i just wanted to say I love them! IT looks like it was a fun shoot!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • socialcrawlsocialcrawl Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    These are adorable
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I like your favorites as well. As a whole, the processing looks great....though the masking and boosting seems like a lot of work. These are great. She's lucky to have you as a photographer.

...and yes it appears you and off camera flash are hunky-dory. I have been on the fence about getting an STE2 and attempting OCF. Now that things have slowed down a bit for me I may just order one. There may be enough time to get comfy with it between now and graduation.

Very nice series....thanks for sharing!clap.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like your favorites as well. As a whole, the processing looks great....though the masking and boosting seems like a lot of work. These are great. She's lucky to have you as a photographer.

...and yes it appears you and off camera flash are hunky-dory. I have been on the fence about getting an STE2 and attempting OCF. Now that things have slowed down a bit for me I may just order one. There may be enough time to get comfy with it between now and graduation.

Very nice series....thanks for sharing!clap.gif
    Hey Jeff- thanks for the compliments... It wasn't really too much work. The boosting was done in ACR, so that was simple. The masking... well, I only did that on one picture,(the last one) because it was a great expression from her, and I was having a hard time not blowing the background and having her properly exposed.

I am pretty excited about the possibilities for the STE2.... It is going to be fun! I am always amazed at the range it gets. A lot better then I had expected from reviews.:D
    edited April 16, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    I am no CCer, but i just wanted to say I love them! IT looks like it was a fun shoot!

It was a fun shoot. Thanks for the super nice compliment!
    edited April 16, 2008
    These are adorable

Hey thanks! She will be happy to hear that....:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    #3 is quirky and so cute!

My favorite is also the last one. Though I think you might want to clone that stick that's growing out of her head and the one that's growing out of her shoulder.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Great photos. 4, 5, and 10 are tops. It is great when you have a subject that is comfortable in front of the camera. It especially shows in the quirkiness of #4. You also definitely have the ocf flash down. Had you not mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed. clap.gif
    edited April 16, 2008
    #3 is quirky and so cute!

My favorite is also the last one. Though I think you might want to clone that stick that's growing out of her head and the one that's growing out of her shoulder.

OH! I can't believe I didn't even notice that. Especially since I masked that bright part in. I guess it is like proof reading. The more people you have proof read it for you, the more perfect it gets. I will be taking care of that pronto. Thanks for the suggestion.thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Great photos. 4, 5, and 10 are tops. It is great when you have a subject that is comfortable in front of the camera. It especially shows in the quirkiness of #4. You also definitely have the ocf flash down. Had you not mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed. clap.gif

Thanks Travis! Though I do have to say I am still in the trial and error period with the ocf. It is good to know that I am at least getting somewhere. :D
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Number 2 is my favorite.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Very nice shots thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Rhinotherunt and dawssvt. Loved hearing from you!

I still haven't heard any tricks for photographing someone wearing glasses....
    Anyone have any aces up their sleve?mwink.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Heather...adorable. #3 & #4 crack me up! Nice job on such an icky day.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Rhinotherunt and dawssvt. Loved hearing from you!

I still haven't heard any tricks for photographing someone wearing glasses....
    Anyone have any aces up their sleve?mwink.gif
    Become a strobist by getting the flash off camera. :ivar
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 17, 2008
    Yah.... maybe I should try that! :giggle
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I like the jailbird one... i cant see the background, and the fence is really crisp, i just like it
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Her sense of self and her sunny disposition totally made me unaware of the dreary weather! Great series and especially nice job on the processing. #10 is my fav! Nice to see someone comfortable in front of the camera....I imagine alot of that credit goes to you! thumb.gif