Large format?

DaxDax Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 29, 2008 in Cameras
I'm thinking about buying a large format camera. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with them or knows any decent places to buy them?
(in the UK)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    I have a Calumet 4x5 monorail view camera. I have shot with Graflex, both the Crown Graphic (for years) and the Speed Graphic (my father's).

What are you looking to do?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I have a full Sinar large format setup in my studio. I purchased all of my items through B&H, Calumet, KEH, Igor's Camera & Ebay, of course.
  • DaxDax Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have a Calumet 4x5 monorail view camera. I have shot with Graflex, both the Crown Graphic (for years) and the Speed Graphic (my father's).

What are you looking to do?

I've heard some other people talk about crown graphic, any good?
    i'm looking to do some outdoor stuff aswell as studio things.
    edited April 16, 2008
    Dax wrote:
    I've heard some other people talk about crown graphic, any good?
    i'm looking to do some outdoor stuff aswell as studio things.

The Crown Graphic (CG) was a very popular "press" camera in the 1950s and 1960s. The CG is subordinate to the Speed graphic in that it lacks a focal plane shutter. You must use a lens with, typically, a leaf shutter like a Copal, Compur or Packard shutter.

Since the CG doesn't have a focal plane shutter, it can use short focal length lenses less than 65mm.

All "press" cameras have limited controls; tilts, swings and drops are limited in function. As a result they can be challenging for images which require perspective control or extreme DOF.

Since the cameras have not been in production for so many years, bellows can be a problem replacing although it is possible to have custom bellows made, adapt bellows from other cameras or even fold your own replacement bellows.
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    So, pros/cons of the various options? Field vs monorail? 4x5 vs 5x7? You guessed it, I've been getting a bit of an itch myself & have started poking around. This really is a sickness.

Oh, and of course it turns out ziggy's BTDT already. bowdown.gif

So far I've been eyeing stuff like the simpler (cheaper) Tachihara, Shen Hao, the Bender kit. For me, the aesthetics of it being a wood camera (and possibly built by me) are as much an attraction as the large negative.
    edited April 16, 2008
    Everything in large format is expensive, and everything above 4x5 just gets horribly expensive. Lenses, film, processing and printing are just some of the costs you can expect to incur.

If you don't need the broad tilts, swings etc. of a large format monorail camera you might be happy with a medium format camera and T&S lenses.

Large format film photography is still appropriate for certain fileds like what Marc Muench does for magazine publication, but even that field is changing as dSLRs improve and medium format digital cameras become a more economical alternative and quality improves overall. Large format photography does not guarantee success and indeed often only increases the challenges and expenses of the photographer.
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    In other words, stick with the 645Pro & look harder at stuff like the Hartblei Super Rotator. :D My bank account thanks you.
  • NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Everything in large format is expensive, and everything above 4x5 just gets horribly expensive. Lenses, film, processing and printing are just some of the costs you can expect to incur.

If you don't need the broad tilts, swings etc. of a large format monorail camera you might be happy with a medium format camera and T&S lenses.

Large format film photography is still appropriate for certain fileds like what Marc Muench does for magazine publication, but even that field is changing as dSLRs improve and medium format digital cameras become a more economical alternative and quality improves overall. Large format photography does not guarantee success and indeed often only increases the challenges and expenses of the photographer.
    In February I bought a Toyo 45C with a Rodenstock 150mm lens from a co-worker who hadn't used it in years. Using this camera is nothing like any kind of camera I'd used in over twenty years of shooting. I'm finding myself re-learning stuff I had studied in high school and college but never used. I'm enjoying the total creative control, I'm enjoying even more using black and white film again.

I used it for my first landscape photos in the Lakes region of NH this past weekend.

Living large and loving it!

NavyMoose
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
    edited May 27, 2008
    NavyMoose wrote:
    In February I bought a Toyo 45C with a Rodenstock 150mm lens ...

I have the Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm, f5.6 in a Copal 0. Very nice performer. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have the Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm, f5.6 in a Copal 0. Very nice performer. thumb.gif
    The 150mm is wonderfully sharp and crisp. I photographed a sculpture made of tires and I was able to make out the details of the tire tread in the GG. It is a fascinating kind of camera to play with.
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams