Please put me out of my misery....

ReeseliteReeselite Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 17, 2008 in Cameras
Ok, maybe that's a little dramatic. It should not be "misery" since I am happy to finally buy my first DSLR.

I have read forums until the numbers made me dizzy and I think I have made a tentative decision.

I am going with the Rebel XTI from Canoga Camera, body only--$509.00

and

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard/Medium Telephoto Camera Lens-- $87.00

I am trying to stay under $1000 for now.....so that would leave me with some change to try and locate another lens, which one, I am not sure.

Besides photos of the baby and his four-year-old brother playing t-ball. The main thing I will be doing this summer is taking pictures at the softball/soccer field for my neighbors (kids--10 and under) with the intentions of creating composites for their teams.

Am I at least pointed in the right direction?

Is there a zoom that will at least get me "in the game" and in my budget until I can invest more?

My apologies if I missed it, I have read tons of good buying advice for different sports and situations, but I am wondering if the specs might change a little since my main objective is composite work.

Thanks so much....

Reese

Comments

• DaxDax Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:

I am going with the Rebel XTI from Canoga Camera, body only--$509.00

and

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard/Medium Telephoto Camera Lens-- $87.00

Besides photos of the baby and his four-year-old brother playing t-ball. The main thing I will be doing this summer is taking pictures at the softball/soccer field for my neighbors (kids--10 and under) with the intentions of creating composites for their teams.

Am I at least pointed in the right direction?

Is there a zoom that will at least get me "in the game" and in my budget until I can invest more?

My apologies if I missed it, I have read tons of good buying advice for different sports and situations, but I am wondering if the specs might change a little since my main objective is composite work.

Thanks so much....

Reese

hey,
    good choice on the fast lens (i own a 50mm nikon version) but the fixed lens is abit of a pain, the zoom i have for my nikon is a 18-70mm and that works fine, the canon 17-85mm (is usm) is damn good for what it does (nearly everything) and gives you abit more scope for creativity.
    hopefully.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Reese,
    For the sports, I recommend you get a 70-200 either the f/4 or better yet the 2.8. Canon's f/4 you can find for just over $500 new and the Sigma 2.8 is just over $700. http://sigma4less.com/Catalog.aspx?q=70-200 Try here. I highly recommend Sigma4less.com. I bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8 and got a great deal and super fast shipping. You might get lucky like I did and find a Canon 2.8 for under a grand used from one of the market place threads on this forum and others.

Not only is it great for sports but I do most of my portraiture with it. I have to admit that it is my "walk around" lens. I generally dont leave home with out it. The majority of the images in my gallery are by this lens. It's my baby and my friend. It talks to me from my gear bag....ok, you get the point.mwink.gif If you decide to go over budget, you cant go wrong with this baby and I think most people here would agree that it is well worth the dough to have a 70-200 in your collection.
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Great choice. I have the xti and 1.8 canon 85 mm (very similar to the glass you are getting)

The only downside is you will really be spoiled to super sharp shots with a prime lens.

I'd think you would want to get an external flash one of these days.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    craftgirl wrote:
    Reese,
    For the sports, I recommend you get a 70-200 either the f/4 or better yet the 2.8. Canon's f/4 you can find for just over $500 new and the Sigma 2.8 is just over $700. http://sigma4less.com/Catalog.aspx?q=70-200 Try here. I highly recommend Sigma4less.com. I bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and the 24-70 2.8 and got a great deal and super fast shipping. You might get lucky like I did and find a Canon 2.8 for under a grand used from one of the market place threads on this forum and others.

Not only is it great for sports but I do most of my portraiture with it. I have to admit that it is my "walk around" lens. I generally dont leave home with out it. The majority of the images in my gallery are by this lens. It's my baby and my friend. It talks to me from my gear bag....ok, you get the point.mwink.gif If you decide to go over budget, you cant go wrong with this baby and I think most people here would agree that it is well worth the dough to have a 70-200 in your collection.

Be aware that sigma4less tends to be grey market lenses and BH gives you American versions. For my money its worth the differential to get US factory warranties.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    As some previous posters said, the 50 is a great lens. The trade off is the lack of zoom vs. having a really fast piece of glass that's razor sharp at f2.8 and above. I'd go with sharp images over zoom any day.

Your definitely headed in the right direction. Sorry, but I can't provide glass advise. I shoot Nikon.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    With your current budget, you have about $400 left.
    I would recommend a telephoto zoom and would recommend a Sigma 70-300 for about $200, or if you can stretch it a Canon 70-200 F4L or a Canon 70-300mm IS.

Good luck.
  • ReeseliteReeselite Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    Thanks so much...
    Thanks so much ---I appreciate the advice.

Tracy---I am about 30 miles west from Atlanta Motorspeedway. Good photos!

I just got off the phone with a guy that bought an xti w/two lens kit (55 and 300) in November. Says it's "too much camera" for him and he wants to sell it all (camera, lens, bag, card, etc) for $500.00 wings.gif

He says he has taken about 300 photos with it, it's in new condition with no "injuries" or scratches.

He lives about 30 minutes from me and my husband is meeting him in the morning. I am going to hold my breath and hope that it's legit and the camera is good.

If anyone has any advice other than "turn it on and shoot" to make sure it's ok--please let me know.

If this works out....I will be a happy girl.

I am still gonna order my "Nifty 50" lens tonight..... :)

Thanks again!

Reese
    edited April 15, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Be aware that sigma4less tends to be grey market lenses and BH gives you American versions. For my money its worth the differential to get US factory warranties.

Z

Interesting, Z. Thanks for the tip...I have already sold mine but I did look over the paperwork when I got them and didnt notice anything Non-US about the warranties. I will be sure to keep an eye out next time.

Thanks!
    Canon Stuff
    edited April 15, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:

I just got off the phone with a guy that bought an xti w/two lens kit (55 and 300) in November. Says it's "too much camera" for him and he wants to sell it all (camera, lens, bag, card, etc) for $500.00 wings.gif

He says he has taken about 300 photos with it, it's in new condition with no "injuries" or scratches.

He lives about 30 minutes from me and my husband is meeting him in the morning. I am going to hold my breath and hope that it's legit and the camera is good.

If anyone has any advice other than "turn it on and shoot" to make sure it's ok--please let me know.

Thanks again!

Reese

Thanks so much Reese. I love Atlanta (to visit...hehe). We had the craziest weekend with rain, snow and sun! Nuts.....

I have personally had good experience with buying from locals and from forums. I am sure there will be a first "regretable" someday but I will pray that it does work out and you get your practically brand new xti for a great price!

Let us know how it turns out.
    Canon Stuff
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:

Make sure to take a CF card and a laptop and run a few images into the laptop for viewing.

Each of the lenses should be mounted and operation tested. Flash on the camera as well as each mode should be tested. It would be good to also test the hotshoe for operation, preferably with an E-TTL II flash.

If the seller hesitates testing or demonstrating anything, that could mean trouble. If the battery is not charged and tests cannot be performed, pass on the purchase. Follow your "feelings" about the transaction. If anything seems funny or odd, trust your gut.

Contact information from the seller should be appropriate and verifiable. Purchase information (to make sure you are not buying stolen goods) should also be offered.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I just got my 40D with the 28-135 f/3.5-5/6 IS lens and I absolutley love it. Some say that 28 is not wide enough, but I don't mind it at all. I think you can pick the lens up for right around $400. An external flash (Canon 430EX II) might be a good purchase for you as well.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    If that deal works out (follow ziggy's advice), you're pretty much set. Can't go wrong with the nifty fifty, so adding that will get you used to primes. After that, I'd save the rest of the budget until you are familiar with the gear & have learned what you need next.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:

Thanks again!

Reese

If the deal works out, sell the "300" and put the money towards either a 70-200/4L used or new, or a Sigma 70-200/2.8 used or new.

The AF speed and lack of CA and PF puls the sharpness wide open is more than worth the price. Especially if you're going to be showing your work to others, as in your composites.

Gene
  • ReeseliteReeselite Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2008
    It's Mine...
    Husband brought the camera home last night. I am really happy with it. Turns out (supposedly) the guy's brother works at Best Buy, so he got the set-up with a discount at the end of November. Thus, passing the savings on to me.

The camera is super clean. I prompty took about 200 shots as soon as I got my hands on it and then ran them through the computer. Everything seems to be good.

The 55 lens has a ding on the end of it, but I don't think I will be using it anyway.

Thanks again, for all of the great advice. I am shopping for the 70-200/4L today. I will probably list the 300 and see what happens. It couldn't hurt.

So, I will be set (for now) with the 70-200/4L and the Fantastic Plastic. thumb.gif

Now, I have a manual to read. :D

Reese
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:
    Husband brought the camera home last night. I am really happy with it. Turns out (supposedly) the guy's brother works at Best Buy, so he got the set-up with a discount at the end of November. Thus, passing the savings on to me.

The camera is super clean. I prompty took about 200 shots as soon as I got my hands on it and then ran them through the computer. Everything seems to be good.

The 55 lens has a ding on the end of it, but I don't think I will be using it anyway.

Thanks again, for all of the great advice. I am shopping for the 70-200/4L today. I will probably list the 300 and see what happens. It couldn't hurt.

So, I will be set (for now) with the 70-200/4L and the Fantastic Plastic. thumb.gif

Reese

so, lets see some pictures!!!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    As I mentioned before, don't go crazy with buying more gear. I can't really argue with swapping to a 70-200--you'll probably end up doing that eventually anyway, but I'd say stop there for now.

Keep the camera beside you while going through the manual & try the functions as you read. Soon it will all be second nature. deal.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 17, 2008
    Reeselite wrote:
    Husband brought the camera home last night. I am really happy with it. ...

Reese

Congratulations and good luck. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums