Options

How to get rid of the bubbles??

lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi :)

I've been messing around with photoshop elements 5.0 for a while now, but just doing basic stuff like easy cloning, spot healing, etc. I know this photo has a bunch of issues, (I've already gotten rid of the food crumbs, etc in another version I'm editing and I don't know that there is really anything that I can do about the bad highlights on his ear) but what I'm struggling with the most right now are those darn bubbles coming out of his mouth!!

Would anyone have any suggestions on a relatively simple way to get rid of them? I've been hacking up his poor lips for over an hour now and before I call it a night and get myself to bed, I thought I would ask. :dunno

280166374_hBQYq-L-1.jpg

Thanks very much.

-- Lisa P.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    Do you have another frame shot in this pose without them?

If so, you might be able to clone new lips without bubble in.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I'd say this is relatively simple to do. But takes a bit of practice for it to get the eye for stuff like this.

I don't know what tools Elements has, but I'd use the clone tool to get rid of most the bubbles and burn where the crease of the lips is. The below image took about 3 minutes. If your just starting to learn, it will take you about 15 once you get the hang of it and your time will whittle down w/ more practice. Allot of Ps work like this is just getting an eye for what looks natural. It helps if you have a graphic tablet so you can get more natural flowing lines.

This sample isn't completely finished, but beyond the photographers that frequent here. I doubt if anyone would see this work since they weren't looking for it. Of course you can see the errors since your doing nothing but staring at the lips.

Remember, photoshop work is all about being subtle and making it look like you've never been there. Using allot of layers for your work so you can control the opacity can be your best friend too.

Feell free to tell me your not cool w/ me posting this image. I'll gladly take it off.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    Thanks guys. :)

Unfortunately I don't think I have another shot with the same pose. He was getting a bit impatient with me because he heard the kids next door outside playing and wanted to go join them.

I figured it must be relatively simple, but that I just need to work at it more so that it's easy for ME! haha I like a challenge though, which is why I didn't want to ditch the photo all together.

At least I was on the right track with the clone tool. When I get home tonight I'll have to give it another go and maybe I'll try not to only look at the lips blown up to a HUGE size. After reading you say that I probably would see the errors as I was working on them, but others wouldn't, I've kinda realized that I wouldn't be blowing this photo up so the lips would be the size of a watermelon anyways!! I can tend to get too deep in the weeds to see the bigger picture.

And no problems with posting the sample. It actually helped me to take a step back and not focus so close on those lips and gives me something to work towards. :)

Thanks again pathfinder and SloYeroll for the suggestions and tips. I really appreciate it!! :)

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Lisa, below are some quick alterations to colour, which I think improve your image, from the perspective of what a human may perceive vs. what a camera records. I have not addressed the OP about retouching, although I will say to look into blending the clone/healing tool use in a separate layers in both darken and lighten blend modes, as well as perhaps color and luminosity blend modes (these four blend modes are a retoucher's best friend).

The image is cool in temperature, and has a strong blule cast in the shadows (hair, tree) - my goal was to wam things up a little. I also added some minimal tones to the ear that is blown out by the sunlight and reduced the appearance of the veins above the eye (lighten blend mode retouching). More detail can be supplied if required. The face needs more work, to bring out contrast and improve a final print.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Lisa, below are some quick alterations to colour, which I think improve your image, from the perspective of what a human may perceive vs. what a camera records. I have not addressed the OP about retouching, although I will say to look into blending the clone/healing tool use in a separate layers in both darken and lighten blend modes, as well as perhaps color and luminosity blend modes (these four blend modes are a retoucher's best friend).

The image is cool in temperature, and has a strong blule cast in the shadows (hair, tree) - my goal was to wam things up a little. I also added some minimal tones to the ear that is blown out by the sunlight and reduced the appearance of the veins above the eye (lighten blend mode retouching). More detail can be supplied if required. The face needs more work, to bring out contrast and improve a final print.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/

Thanks Stephen so much for the suggestions. I laughed at myself when you mentioned that the image has a strong blue cast. Blue is my favourite colour and I wonder if I were to go look at most of my photos if I'd discover that most of them had a blue hue about them. Laughing.gif I'm going to have to be conscious of that.

I have so much to learn when it comes to enhancing photos, but it's so much fun learning. I'm really going to have to play with the layers. I'm going to be taking a course in May, which I'm looking forward to.

I was bothered a bit with those veins on his forehead but I wasn't sure if I should get rid of them or not. It does make such a difference! I'm never sure how much to fiddling to do. I guess that will come with more practice over time.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

-- Lisa P.