Kenko Macro Setup

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hello,
I have been looking around to get a cheap macro setup. I use a Nikon D70 and am thinking of getting some kenko extension tubes to use on my 50mm f/1.8. I have no Idea which type of Kenko extensions to get. Any recommendations or advice?
Thanks
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    Hello,
    I have been looking around to get a cheap macro setup. I use a Nikon D70 and am thinking of getting some kenko extension tubes to use on my 50mm f/1.8. I have no Idea which type of Kenko extensions to get. Any recommendations or advice?
    Thanks

The Kenko's come in a set of 3 they are excellent value and can be used on most Lenses.

They are about $170 a set, and are able to be used in any combination.
    You get a 12mm + 20mm + 36m Tube in the Set (AUTO)

Here is a link from B&H in New York to get an idea.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html#

Hopefully someone who uses a Nikon can give you some more information,
    I'm using Canon gear. thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I'm looking into getting a set of Kenko tubes as well. So far, I've learned that the closer you get to the focal length of the lens with the length of the tubes, the closer you get to a true 1:1 macro.
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    A set of Kenko ext tubes and a 50mm prime lens is a good way to start macro- you'll get a max magnification of around 1.3:1. The only drawback is slightly close focus distances.
    Brian V.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Yeah, subjects need to be pretty tame or distracted, but you can actually go well past the 1:1 that most macro lenses stop at with a 68mm set on a 50mm lens. If I'm not mistaken for a theoretical 50mm focused at infinity, 50mm of extension gets you 1:1, but then you have 68mm of tubes and the lens can focus closer than infinity.

For examples almost all of my bugs gallery is taken with the canon 50f1.8 and these tubes, all but the latest handful which are with my new 150mm macro. You can of course check the Exifs. Oh, and I'm still using the tubes with the 150mm, so you should still have uses for them down the road!
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    You can also try Nikon reverse ring BR-2A, original will cost you around 25 $
    and can allow quite a nice results by reversing your 50mm directely to the camera. Of course you loose meetering and autofous and working sistance is about 10 cm but with enoug light and practice you can get quite intereting results.
    http://jetcrocodile.smugmug.com/popular/1/137424287_kgNeB#137424287_kgNeB

actually all my macro shoots were made with such setup.

Only latest images are made by reversing 50mm on top of Sigma 70-300 with even cheaper macro reverse rings from e-bay.

Good luck!
    edited April 17, 2008
    Hi!

Did you use here
    http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/popular/4/278081530_iFB3n#278081530_iFB3n
    just Sigma 150mm or Sigma 150mm + some tubes?

Regards
    Robinivich wrote:
    For examples almost all of my bugs gallery is taken with the canon 50f1.8 and these tubes, all but the latest handful which are with my new 150mm macro. You can of course check the Exifs. Oh, and I'm still using the tubes with the 150mm, so you should still have uses for them down the road!
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Hi!

Did you use here
    http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/popular/4/278081530_iFB3n#278081530_iFB3n
    just Sigma 150mm or Sigma 150mm + some tubes?

Regards
    :D Actually, sounds like you already know the technique used here, this is the Sigma 150mm, all 68mm of extension tubes, and a reversed 50mm f1.8 on the front of all that. Credit is due to Jody Melanson for demonstrating this combo to myself (not to mention doing a lot better with it bowdown.gif), he posted some sweet results from this setup here a while ago.

I judge the working distance to be 2-3cm from the mount of the 50mm, and DOF is, as you can see, miniscule. Also bear in mind, a lot of these images (not just with the reversed 50mm) would be difficult or impossible without flash, which is what I'd reccomend as the next step once one has picked up the tubes.
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Wow, Thanks for all the help and info. I think I'll start off with the tubes, and see how it goes from there. The short focal distance will be a bit annoying, but it's a start. I may look into reverse adapters a bit later too.
    You guys have some amazing Images. Brian Your shots always stun me, JetCrocodile you have some really cool shots (how did you get that dragonfly!?) and so does Robin- I had a quick look at your sites.
    Thanks again, I hope to get into this stuff soon.
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
    edited April 19, 2008
    Ok, I know it partly because I use 50mm reversed either to camera or to 70-300. But have no experiance with extension tubes.
    As to the flash, presentely i have SB-800, but have to add some flash bracket and diffusors to use it with macro.

Robinivich wrote:
    :D Actually, sounds like you already know the technique used here, this is the Sigma 150mm, all 68mm of extension tubes, and a reversed 50mm f1.8 on the front of all that. Credit is due to Jody Melanson for demonstrating this combo to myself (not to mention doing a lot better with it bowdown.gif), he posted some sweet results from this setup here a while ago.

I judge the working distance to be 2-3cm from the mount of the 50mm, and DOF is, as you can see, miniscule. Also bear in mind, a lot of these images (not just with the reversed 50mm) would be difficult or impossible without flash, which is what I'd reccomend as the next step once one has picked up the tubes.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 20, 2008
    Hi there, i have just got kenko tube set, with 100mm macro focusing is down to about 4" with all 3 . you probably will need to use flash .
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/