Options

Last weekends reno project

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 9, 2005 in Holy Macro
Those of you that were at stf know that my husband and I undertook a massive renovation project to our house. Well, we tore down walls, completely restructured the kitchen, moved doors and windows, etc. Got to the point that we were living comfortably by the time soccer season got full swing. When you have 3 kids playing at a fairly high level, there isn't much free time on weekends and evenings for renos. So we now have a 3 week break before the start of outdoor practices. Last weekend we installed a banister around the top of the stair well - it had been a half wall previously, and I wanted it removed. Well, that happened last spring, we 'temporarily' used a railing of 2 x 4s, and finally put this one. Then we carried on and installed cork flooring in the kitchen, over top of really awful white ceramic tile. The room is really coming together.
18768171-M.jpg

As you can see, I've got holes to fill, wall paper to remove and a lot of painting to finish. The before and demolition pics are here:
http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/112532

I've got some other photos from along the way somewhere...will try to get them posted, and then some of the finished project.

This has been an enormous learning experience for us, and it is so rewarding to see the end result.

ann

Comments

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Those of you that were at stf know that my husband and I undertook a massive renovation project to our house. Well, we tore down walls, completely restructured the kitchen, moved doors and windows, etc. Got to the point that we were living comfortably by the time soccer season got full swing. When you have 3 kids playing at a fairly high level, there isn't much free time on weekends and evenings for renos. So we now have a 3 week break before the start of outdoor practices. Last weekend we installed a banister around the top of the stair well - it had been a half wall previously, and I wanted it removed. Well, that happened last spring, we 'temporarily' used a railing of 2 x 4s, and finally put this one. Then we carried on and installed cork flooring in the kitchen, over top of really awful white ceramic tile. The room is really coming together.
    18768171-M.jpg

As you can see, I've got holes to fill, wall paper to remove and a lot of painting to finish. The before and demolition pics are here:
    http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/112532

I've got some other photos from along the way somewhere...will try to get them posted, and then some of the finished project.

This has been an enormous learning experience for us, and it is so rewarding to see the end result.

ann
    I know the feeling. We spent about 6 years doing ours, now we have the outside to do. It never ends...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    ann, i'm hip to what you're up to, and it *is* a great feeling :D

that bannister is beautiful!

seven years ago nancy and i bought our place here, we're very fortunate to have six acres in an area where land is at a huuge premium... got lucky becuase the place was such a *dUmP* when we bought it :uhoh anyhow, seven years and a few mortgages later, we've managed to renovate every square inch of the place, including ripping out walls, insulation, sanding every single beam in the house (it's the frame of an old barn)... and more. well, i guess we're not done becuase d.w. tells me that this year we're doing a new kitchen and three bathrooms umph.gif

it's nice though, when the major stuff is finished deal.gif

if you're interested, there are some piccies in this gallery

thanks for sharing your experience!
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Nice pics Andy, I don't envy cutting 6 acres of lawn :uhoh

Here's a scan of our kitchen. I my try to put some more on smugmug one day
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Nice pics Andy, I don't envy cutting 6 acres of lawn :uhoh

Here's a scan of our kitchen. I my try to put some more on smugmug one day

now, that's what i'm talkin' about! nice stan :D

oh and i don't cut it. i pay a crew. about 9 guys swarm up the property, on those stand-on mowers, it's quite a sight, sort of like an invasion lol3.gif anyhow, they get the whole property done in about 45 minutes, cut, blow, etc... good work, too. and way cheaper than i could do it - like only $50 a week.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 3, 2005
    Ann,

That bannister is very nice thumb.gifthumb.gif Glad to read that it's finally "all coming together" mwink.gif I know exactly what you mean about having 3 kids in sports eek7.gif
    There is no such thing as "free time"....lol

Hey Andy!! Doesn't Nancy realize how much good glass you can buy for the cost of a kitchen and 3 bath remod? There goes that 600mm F4 :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005

Hey Andy!! Doesn't Nancy realize how much good glass you can buy for the cost of a kitchen and 3 bath remod? There goes that 600mm F4 :lol

Steve

tell me about it! the darn sink and faucet she just bought would pay for a whole lotta nice new glass lol3.gif