Options

Slice up an image

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Howdy All-

Okay this one is a little off the beaten path, but figured I am stumped and the other graphics guru I know is stumped. Here is what I am trying to do

I have a plan view of a building in Illustrator (I can move it to anything in CS3)
I want to easily slice the plan view into four sections (with overlap) The idea being is that one has an overview, then can click on a quadrant and "zoom" in by changing the image.
I want to be able to output the four files easily, so that as the image is updated I can quickly, easily, and repeatably output the images.

So I looked at using Clipping Masks, that will work but it requires I create each image . I looked at doing it in Firefox, it does not support the overlap.

Any ideas:dunno :scratch
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Would Zoomify (which Photoshop supports) be an alternative?
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

You don't really want to slice your images for this. Zoomify is your best bet.
    If you have any problems w/ the script (you shouldn't, it's ina nice package already set up) or need to change the deliverables, let me know. I'll be happy to help w/ the code part.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Unfortunately while Zoomify is cool it does not do quite what I need. Since these images will be in a separate stand alone (non web based) application each one will be on its own control panel/window.

Right now what I am doing and it is a little cumbersome is outputting to PDF from Illustrator. Then taking the PDF into Acrobat Pro and duplicating the page. Then use the crop tool to slice up each page. Then do a save as PNG. Not the most easy thing to do... I looked at automating it in Acrobat but the Crop part has me a little stumped.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Have you looked at the slice, knife and scissor tools in Illustrator?

I haven't really used those meself, but it sound a bit like slice is what you were looking for.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Yup, I looked at those not the tools I am looking for, but thanks.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Are you able to send the native art? I have no interest in the plans, but I'd at least be able to tell you definitively if I can help or not.

Shoot me a PM if your interested.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying you want to do...

If I understand you correctly I would feed your image into flash, and have a smaller version loaded up at first. On rollover or click I would change the position and alpha of the larger version, and if really froggy make it draggable.

Plus the flash file is self contained. Load from flash via AS2.0 and export for 'local files access only' and you can put it on almost any device, including PDA's and almost any operating system known to man. To change the picture you just put a new pic in the same place with the same name (or have an actionscript prompt).

Possibilites are endless...

However I've never seen this zoomify thing - it's now in my 'to be tested' bin. Looks SWEET. clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    The reason is that I have to embed the image into another application
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    The reason is that I have to embed the image into another application
    Waht's the application?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    System Architect - an audio equipment control software. It is my real job :)
    -=Bradford