Options

Reducing files in pS ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 2, 2005 in Finishing School
Now that im in the world of Elephantiasis sized files. I am being driven crazy with the long D/load times to SM.

These are not photos that i want to keep in huge size sooooo...

Is there any way i can open a whole file full of these 8 meg photos in PS6...hit a button or two to reduce each photo in that file to a smaller dimention (what ever it is ie 1000 x 800 or something)

No waxy...i wont change the camera setting as one of these shots could well be something i want to keep in full size or crop from.

Ta
Gus

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Now that im in the world of Elephantiasis sized files. I am being driven crazy with the long D/load times to SM.

Is there any way i can open a whole file full of these 8 meg photos in PS6...hit a button or two to reduce each photo in that file to a smaller dimention (what ever it is ie 1000 x 800 or something)

No waxy...i wont change the camera setting as one of these shots could well be something i want to keep in full size or crop from.

Ta
    Gus

look for batch resize tool, gus.
    i'm not familiar with ps 6 but it should be there?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Ta
    Gus

Gus - I save my archive files as psd, but the files I upload to smugmug I save as a jpg to a different folder that I just keep to hold files until they are uploaded. The uploaded files run anywhere from 400Kb to 1.3Mb

Your jpgs for Smuggy should not really be much biger than from your Oly you used before, should they? Wasn't it an 8 Mb camera or at least a 5Mb camera?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Gus - I save my archive files as psd, but the files I upload to smugmug I save as a jpg to a different folder that I just keep to hold files until they are uploaded. The uploaded files run anywhere from 400Kb to 1.3Mb

Your jpgs for Smuggy should not really be much biger than from your Oly you used before, should they? Wasn't it an 8 Mb camera or at least a 5Mb camera?
    Ta andy...will have a butchers for it.

Tks PF my old cam was 5mp but now that im using RAW..it appears to add a lot more info to the photo ..up to 7.5 MB

At the end of the day i really only want to load about a 1Mb to SM most of the time.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    file sizes i load to smugmug
    Humungus wrote:
    At the end of the day i really only want to load about a 1Mb to SM most of the time.

one thing i sometimes do is resize to 800 x533, and save as, with jpg compression of 7 or 8. this usually results in a file size of around 100k or thereabouts. then upload that and you can just link the -O file from smug :)
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    one thing i sometimes do is resize to 800 x533, and save as, with jpg compression of 7 or 8. this usually results in a file size of around 100k or thereabouts. then upload that and you can just link the -O file from smug :)
    Yep...thats the easy bit.

Now to do it to 100 photos in one button or two.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep...thats the easy bit.

Now to do it to 100 photos in one button or two.

Create an action, put all the files in one folder, pick another folder to save them in, then run the action as a batch.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Create an action, put all the files in one folder, pick another folder to save them in, then run the action as a batch.
    Ok ta patch...i just found this. I will sit & chew on it for a bit.

PS. How do you make this a hot key action in PS6?

From the PS 6 Help files...

When you create a new action, the commands and tools you use are added to the action until you stop recording.

To create a new action:

1 Open a file.

2 In the Actions palette, click the New Action button (), or choose New Action from the palette menu.

3 Enter a name for the action.

4 (Photoshop) Choose a set from the pop-up menu.

5 If desired, set one or both of the following options:

Assign a keyboard shortcut to the action. You can choose any combination of a Function key, the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac OS), and the Shift key (for example, Ctrl+Shift+F3).
    (Photoshop) Assign a color for display in Button Mode.

6 Click Record. The Record button in the Actions palette turns red ().

Important: When recording the Save As command, do not change the filename. If you enter a new filename, Photoshop records the filename and uses that filename each time you run the action. Before saving, if you navigate to a different folder, you can specify a different location without having to specify a filename.

7 Choose the commands, and perform the operations you want to record.

8 To stop recording, click the Stop button, choose Stop Recording from the Actions palette menu, or press the Escape key. To resume recording in the same action, choose Start Recording from the Actions palette menu
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Here is a cool trick, at least in PS 8 (CS).

If you want to resize an entire folder, but have both vertical and horizontal (possibly different resolutions too) and you want them to be 1000px (or _?) on the longest side for all? Create an action and choose automate>fit image, enter 1000 x 1000 (or _?) finish your action and let it run. A handy tip I learned. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    PS. How do you make this a hot key action in PS6?

Step #5, it will give you the option to make it a hot key (Assign a keyboard shortcut to the action).

It happens when you click the new action icon, it will give you the options, it does in PS 8, not sure about 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    If it does not give you an option in PS 6, you can use the actions palette, select the resize action you made and you can hit the play button in the palette to do it to each image individually.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Step #5, it will give you the option to make it a hot key (Assign a keyboard shortcut to the action).

It happens when you click the new action icon, it will give you the options, it does in PS 8, not sure about 6.
    cool..ta mate. I will try it later tonight.