Flowers

KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited April 17, 2008 in Holy Macro
Flowers,
more or less. More more than less.
Having withdrawal symptons of not having shot a bloom or two in a while, had a go today. Slim pickings in the garden right now.

Tried the longer lens @ 300mm with a Kenko tube. Why does my camera shake more now???
Monopod used. Flash too. Sometimes.
But not that intensely to blow the backgrounds to black.
Flowers don't just exist in a vacuum/black hole. They need backgrounds.
I think so.

#1 - From Darkness (or, where the afternoon light fell)

300mm009.jpg

#2 - Plasma Curve (or, alien goo)

300mm-011_filtered.jpg

#3 - Freedoms' Quest (or, lemme outta here!)

300mm-012.jpg

#4 - A Touch of Yesterday (or in the case of the DoF plane, a hint of an in focus petal) - nudge nudge, hint hint, wink wink.

300mm003.jpg

#5 - Lavender (or, nothing. Really, just ... Lavender with a different focal point)
No, go back and look again. See? They are different. See? You can take more than one angle on an image. No?

300mm-006_filtered.jpg

If you request lens info or exif, you didn't pay attention.

:D
Kevin.
the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com

Comments

• teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    WOW those are really good.
    I like them all but the first forth and fifth are my picks. Nice use of that long lens. I am going to try it too. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Not for me Kevin but think you should focus stack those 2 lavender shots :)

Re the lens shake- just the same as the telephoto effect even though the magnification may be the same as a shorter lens, you are using a narrower angle for the FOV so any camera movement is a bigger fraction of the FOV angle.

Brian V.
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I see so many nice flower images on this site, and elsewhere, and feel inspired to try it myself. But, every time I point the lens at one I have no idea of what to do and end up with a straight, and boring, shot of a flower.

Lovely images Kevin. I especially like #2, Plasma Curve.

Rod.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    ColMofed wrote:
    I see so many nice flower images on this site, and elsewhere, and feel inspired to try it myself. But, every time I point the lens at one I have no idea of what to do and end up with a straight, and boring, shot of a flower.

Lovely images Kevin. I especially like #2, Plasma Curve.

Rod.

I am certainly no expert but I would certainly go along with what Brian has said. However, I quite liked what I have seen.
    Regards
    Bob
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Kevin wrote:
    Flowers,
    more or less. More more than less.
    Having withdrawal symptoms of not having shot a bloom or two in a while, had a go today. Slim pickings in the garden right now.

Tried the longer lens @ 300mm with a Kenko tube. Why does my camera shake more now???
    Monopod used. Flash too. Sometimes.
    But not that intensely to blow the backgrounds to black.
    Flowers don't just exist in a vacuum/black hole. They need backgrounds.
    I think so.

#1 - From Darkness (or, where the afternoon light fell)
    #2 - Plasma Curve (or, alien goo)
    #3 - Freedoms' Quest (or, lemme outta here!)
    #4 - A Touch of Yesterday (or in the case of the DoF plane, a hint of an in focus petal) - nudge nudge, hint hint, wink wink.
    #5 - Lavender (or, nothing. Really, just ... Lavender with a different focal point)
    No, go back and look again. See? They are different. See? You can take more than one angle on an image. No?
    If you request lens info or exif, you didn't pay attention.

:D

Great series there Kevin, I like your Alien Goo #2
    I'm having Photo withdrawals too, I'm on a bit of a hold with these Renovations, as the carpet I ordered is on a 4 week delay.

I can't use the largest room in the house till the new carpet gets laid.
    My gear is packed away hidden from all the plaster dust, cement dust, saw dust, and whatever else is flying around the place.... even my computer is packed away, I have access to a friends for the time being.

Thanks for sharing Kevin thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin