Clever jumping spider

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited April 17, 2008 in Holy Macro
Some pics of a jumping spider on a vertical house wall with a midge lunch. I've watched them hunting prey on the wall and they do jump outwards from above the prey and pendulum back in on their safety line. Wonder if they stop spinning at the right moment to act as a brake?

Brian V.

2418366376_291d4dcd94_o.jpg

2418366374_7171414720_o.jpg

2418366370_e14a15e809_o.jpg

Comments

• ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Very cool action captures, Brian. Fantastic!

Rod.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Wonder if they stop spinning at the right moment to act as a brake?

I'd say they do exactly that. I've seen spiders lower themselves down on a line as fast as they can spin it and stop like they've run out of rope.

Nice shots again. I'm curious, have you ever had one of those critters jump at your lens? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I'd say they do exactly that. I've seen spiders lower themselves down on a line as fast as they can spin it and stop like they've run out of rope.

Nice shots again. I'm curious, have you ever had one of those critters jump at your lens? :D

Those shots are absolutely fantastic Brian. I love the first shot and then they just seem to get better. I keep looking for a similar guy but can never seem to find one. If they do exist where I am, where should I look? I have looked all around the graden but to no avail.
    Regards
    Bob
  • TtamNedlogTtamNedlog Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Great shots! Although I'm new here, I've been watching Lord V's amazing bug macro for a long time on flickr. I think the only thing left for you to do Brian, is to move to Australia so you can photograph all the insane bugs that live there! :D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone -much appreciated :)

Bob - the easiest place to find them is on a sunlight wall or windowsill that had some small hidy holes.I tend to only see them when they move so you need to scan for a little while. Obviously I tend to know where they are now as I have photographed them before.

Ttam - don't they bite back in Australia though :)
    Brian V
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Some pics of a jumping spider on a vertical house wall with a midge lunch. I've watched them hunting prey on the wall and they do jump outwards from above the prey and pendulum back in on their safety line. Wonder if they stop spinning at the right moment to act as a brake?

Brian V.

I still think they look cute, even if they have dinner on the fly rolleyes1.gif
    I see this little Jumping Spiders on the deck, but can never get close to them, they run between the planks so quickly.

I have never seen one with prey with my own two eyes yet.

Thanks Brian thumb.gif ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    WOW, everytime I see your shots I am amazed... I cant wait for summer to arive so I can play around with my macro's
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    CassisP wrote:
    WOW, everytime I see your shots I am amazed... I cant wait for summer to arive so I can play around with my macro's

Thanks Brian I will keep looking and hopefully find one soon.
    Regards
    Bob
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    amazing shots!
    I can resist everything except temptation