Options

Bullfighter

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited July 9, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I thought I would post this thread under People but I decided to do it here.
Feel free to move it if convenient if you please. Thank you.:D
-
As planned, I shot a bullfighter this morning, in a room. I would like to have done it also outside in the Pousada of Palmela, but he didn't agree.
I even wanted to make these shots in a park, in the open air. May be some other time and with somebody else. :dunno
-
I was shooting with my two cameras (350 D and 20 D). The first one was with the 16-35 and the 20 D had the 24-70.
I was also using my two flashes, the 430 and the new 580 making use of the soft box and an umbrella triggering the hole with the my beloved ST-E2
-
I was not pursuing an "infinite" number of pictures but - on the contrary - the criterion was more towards the quality ones.
I would like to hear your opinion about these pictures please.:D
-
But let me, as usual, be very critique towards my own work:
I think I have done a good job but I should have used the ambiance a better way.
On the picture of the mirror I couldn't avoid the reflex in the wood. I tried hard but the room was not that large.
The photos with the curtain are rather wrong. The curtain shouldn't be there at all and the area in the wall is too tight for him and this doesn't result in a good composition.
When I understood that I had no option in here I placed the table and the lamp to compose a bit.
The portrait is really good. I was very careful about the focusing point. And it was not the one in the center.
The details, the back of the coat and the buttons in the leg are good and sharp. However, The composition of this last one is not very bright. We can see the watch ! I couldn't see it when I was shooting.:bash

I almost forgot: I made a clip of part of the time we have been shooting (3 hours) which has been done with the Canon G9. It is at the end of this thread.:D:bow
If you click on it it should be playing
Opinions please. Thank you.:D:bow

280499993_8rntH-M-1.jpg . 280453908_ZW2eZ-M-1.jpg . 280458735_ao4PM-L-1.jpg . . 280463345_YniYE-L-3.jpg . 280461980_2StHm-L-1.jpg .

282218820_Ndzhp-L.jpg

280416262_fnXGK-M.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Antonio. Trust yourself and skill / + thoughtfulness in your shots.
    Relax. You got it. But it never stops theres for anyone does it?
    Always looking for one level higher. Love of the pursuit. Thats what
    keeps all in the game. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Thank you Michael for the words.
    I have been showing and talking to my wife about these shots and she told me something which I, not only agree, but I am going to modify.

I shot about 350 photos and I am going to be not so demanding on their selection.
    I mean, I am going to post more because people - like the bullfighter, his family and fans - like to see many photos. Different from each other yes, but many.
    I had a height success rate in all the pictures I shot.
    May be 200 are really nice and good. A little Unsharp Mask here, a little Shadow/Highlight there and I have many good ones.

However, I have to select those really different and post them, having the minimum quality for my standards.

My goal is to get someone like this bullfighter that will contact me to shoot him... and get some money. mwink.gif

This is free for the young man - he is going to S Francisco in July - but it will not be free for the others...
    I am also offering him a small Blurb book to thank him for the cooperation.

I would love to read more comments.ne_nau.gif
    Did you see the clip ? Was it working OK ?
    bowdown.gifbow:D:Dthumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    As no one replies but Michael I go on. :D

As I could not avoid the reflex on the wardrobe I asked the young man who is in fact the toureiro assistant to hold one flash and to bounce it against the wall, at the corner of the room.
    As usual I was trying to be a photograph and an acrobat bouncing the flash I was holding and shooting at the same time.
    In fact, that was the solution and I am sorry now, I had not insisted on the solution I just found.
    280929572_ZDtyf-L-1.jpg . 280918265_cQY6q-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I thought I would post this thread under People but I decided to do it here.
    Feel free to move it if convenient if you please. Thank you.:D
    -
    As planned, I shot a bullfighter this morning, in a room. I would like to have done it also outside in the Pousada of Palmela, but he didn't agree.
    I even wanted to make these shots in a park, in the open air. May be some other time and with somebody else. ne_nau.gif

. . . .

Hi thre Antonio, I looked at the video clip too, it moved fast rolleyes1.gif

The mans outfit has some beautiful work sewn into it,
    the softbox you use on your flash looks interesting,
    were you pleased at how that worked for you?

Glad I got to see the video clip to see how you did your shoot,
    and what you used.

You did fine, I'm sure the man is very pleased with the shots you took thumb.gif

Bullfighting is a thing I'd love to see banned personally, there's nothing sporting about it. .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Antonio, I didn't see the video. Where is it? :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Antonio, I didn't see the video. Where is it? :D Michael

Michael. The video is the last "picture". Click on it twice IYP:D
    Each photogram is 2 seconds apart. I have to try every second.
    It will be slower and better I think.
    :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi thre Antonio, I looked at the video clip too, it moved fast rolleyes1.gif

The mans outfit has some beautiful work sewn into it,
    the softbox you use on your flash looks interesting,
    were you pleased at how that worked for you?

Glad I got to see the video clip to see how you did your shoot,
    and what you used.

You did fine, I'm sure the man is very pleased with the shots you took thumb.gif

Bullfighting is a thing I'd love to see banned personally, there's nothing sporting about it. .... Skippy
    Thank you for your words Skippy.:Dbowdown.gif
    I was pleased with the way the soft box worked. The problem is that I was holding the soft box in my left hand and the camera on the right... When I wanted to adjust the zoom I did it with my left and right fingers. I really need an assistant in situations like this one.
    I think the photos are really nice and fine.
    The bullfighter - 24 years old - didn't tell me so far, anything about the photos, but I think he will like them.

Personally you are not alone when you say that you would like to see this activity banned. I am with you.
    However, as you do know, wars are not banned and they are much worst than this. After SWW everybody wanted Piece. But look what is happening all over the World: Politics don't talk about Human Rights in certain countries (I suppose you do know what I mean) when it is not convenient because of ... money, forget about the killing of people, entire nations, and so forth. Well a lauzy World.

I came to shoot bull fighters precisely during a discussion about this activity where I suddenly got conscience that I could shoot it, perhaps for my own benefit, as selling some pictures for example.
    What I have never done. Never.

I am shooting this activity or whatever you may call it, for the sake of photography.

Taking pictures doesn't affect for good or for bad the activity. Why shouldn't I ? It's like shooting wars...
    You don't agree with war but you go and take pictures of that Human misery.

This is not a lecture by no means. I am no philosopher. Far from it. I am a very practical, pragmatic and true guy.

:D:D:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Continuing the project
    What a difference Canon 20D and Canon 5D !rolleyes1.gif
    I don't like the 20D shots anymore.
    I should have used the 70-200, perhaps with the 1.4 converter...

In this village the season goes on only in September. By then, the shots will be at night.
    Another difficulty to overcome: light.
    I plan to use the flash holded by a "slave" :D
    328234275_JWDb8-M.jpg325952837_pC65E-M.jpg326093681_sm5wu-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I really like the first two (close-up of the costume).

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    tlee wrote:
    I really like the first two (close-up of the costume).
    :Dthumb.gif