Options

So, I bought a 24-70mm f/2.8L - and UPS lost it

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Cameras
I picked up a 24-70mm f/2.8L for a wedding I am shooting this Saturday. I ordered it last week, and it was supposed to be here on April 14. No, April 15. Ooops.. April 16.. Errr.. Never.. :huh

So I called up J&R and they reshipped me a new lens, shipped overnight (at no cost). Of course, I have *two* charges on my credit card right now, but, at least I'll have my lens for the wedding...

WHY oh WHY can't UPS deliver a single lens when they're supposed to? argh...

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now :rolleyes
David

Comments

• Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    Ok, so, *after* I just bought a second copy of the lens rolleyes1.gif and AFTER UPS said they have no idea where the lens is rolleyes1.gif what shows up at my door? The lens! WooHoo!! wings.gif

I'm still mad at UPS, but, at least I have my lens (and, my B+W 77mm filter came too! #010 MRC)

David
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Gotta love UPS, glad to hear the first one actually arrived!

I just received my Wimberley F-2 flash bracket from UPS, though I shouldn't say received, I actually drove a half hour to pick it up. I'd spent the whole afternoon yesterday anxiously looking out the window, and then refreshed the tracking info to discover that the UPS driver had in fact visited, found I didn't have funds available to cover customs fees, and will try again tomorrow, all this without him actually visiting my house, hmmmm.

It's not like it's hard to find, my address is in 1' tall white letters on a small but well mapped street. My theory is that UPS must not pay, or supervise, it's drivers very well...
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Ok, so, *after* I just bought a second copy of the lens rolleyes1.gif and AFTER UPS said they have no idea where the lens is rolleyes1.gif what shows up at my door? The lens! WooHoo!! wings.gif

I'm still mad at UPS, but, at least I have my lens (and, my B+W 77mm filter came too! #010 MRC)

David

Didn't you ground track the shipment??
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    So now you got two copies of the lens? mwink.gif I could use the "extra" one :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    So now you got two copies of the lens? mwink.gif I could use the "extra" one :D
    No, I'm going to "Return to Sender" on the second lens. What a pain.. I feel bad for J&R as they shipped the second lens free of charge based on what UPS was telling me (that they lost it).

David
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    You do realize how many millions of packages they move daily?
    It happens.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    You do realize how many millions of packages they move daily?
    It happens.

Averages around 14 million daily. Uncle works in the IT dept at the regional hub :D. At christmas it approaches the 40M mark (so he claims.)

Kudos to J&R for helpin' you out though.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Averages around 14 million daily. Uncle works in the IT dept at the regional hub :D. At christmas it approaches the 40M mark (so he claims.)

Kudos to J&R for helpin' you out though.

No it is true that during Christmas they move around 40 million boxes. Fedex, when I worked there, moved 33 million or so. UPS moves more than FEDex so I would expect that your uncle is right.

Well at least you got your lens! don't forget to the return to sender address which is really my house! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    The lens is amazing! :ivar It's super sharp.. From wide open to stopped down it's sharp. I'll post some images later, but, very impressed so far..

Now, I just need to refuse the package when UPS tries to deliver it today. J&R is simply amazing; they bent over backwards to make sure I had a lens for the wedding I am shooting this weekend thumb.gif Highly recommended!

David
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I ship a lot of various things and over the last 5 years or so I've had UPS "lose" thousands of dollars worth of gear and items. Last year I closed my account with UPS and opened a Fedex Account, I haven't had a single package so much as be late let alone get lost...

UPS lost a car engine.... a CAR ENGINE on a PALLET!!! I'm still bitter about that.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I ship a lot of various things and over the last 5 years or so I've had UPS "lose" thousands of dollars worth of gear and items. Last year I closed my account with UPS and opened a Fedex Account, I haven't had a single package so much as be late let alone get lost...

UPS lost a car engine.... a CAR ENGINE on a PALLET!!! I'm still bitter about that.

That's what insurance is for.
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    That's what insurance is for.

yeah, perhaps for stuff that's replacable. Not on-off builds though with custom machined parts. Insurance doesn't get you your hours back. I'd rather just not lose the stuff to begin with. I abhor UPS with a passion.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    dancer52dancer52 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    We get stuff delivered by UPS all the time. No problems here. However, with FedEx, I usually have to go to their office (an hour away from my house) to pick stuff up. That is a pain.

Either way, glad you got the lense. Mine's suppose to be delivered today by UPS. Tracking says it's out for delivery. I can't wait!
    www.dancermotorsports.com - Check out my pictures but beware, I am a beginner and I don't know what I'm doing!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    yeah, perhaps for stuff that's replacable. Not on-off builds though with custom machined parts. Insurance doesn't get you your hours back. I'd rather just not lose the stuff to begin with. I abhor UPS with a passion.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Essentially, they aren't accountable for their actions.

But they are a necessary evil and I'll continue to use them. At least they aren't as bad as FedEx..
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Honestly, from my experience all the major shippers are about equal overall. It sucks when they blow it on occasion (I've seen some doozies), but they all do it every now & then.

Good for J&R to react quickly. I've used them for audio stuff & have had good experience. To them, eating that shipping charge is just a cost of doing business & keeping a customer happy--and it worked. I'll bet you will look at them again after this, which was their motive. :D
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    The lens is amazing! :ivar It's super sharp..David

What if the 2nd lens is sharper? I guess you will never know since you are refusing the shipment.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    RTP wrote:
    What if the 2nd lens is sharper? I guess you will never know since you are refusing the shipment.
    You're NOT funny! I'm sure the 2nd lens is a dud. Definately. Laughing.gif

Besides, Irvine, CA is only an hour's drive from me (Canon's US service center). So, I can always drive down there and get my lens fixed if needed.

David
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Ok, here's one of the first images taken with the lens...
    280931514_CHWfM-L.jpg

Does everyone think it's sharp enough? Or, should I get a different 24-70mm? This is pretty much straight from the camera (with just WB and tone fixes). (To see the original image, just click on the image above :) )

ISO100 70mm @f/5.0 - 1/800sec

David
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Nope not sharp enough! Send it over my way, and I will check it out for you!!thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Nope not sharp enough! Send it over my way, and I will check it out for you!!thumb.gif
    Wow.. That's so sweet of you. Watch for it in your mailbox!

David
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I picked up a 24-70mm f/2.8L for a wedding I am shooting this Saturday. I ordered it last week, and it was supposed to be here on April 14. No, April 15. Ooops.. April 16.. Errr.. Never.. eek7.gif

So I called up J&R and they reshipped me a new lens, shipped overnight (at no cost). Of course, I have *two* charges on my credit card right now, but, at least I'll have my lens for the wedding...

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now rolleyes1.gif
    David

I had the same thing happen with a flash unit. UPS said delivered but no delivery. I called UPS and they took a loss claim report. The next day the flash miraculously arrived on my doorstep. 3-weeks later I get a phone call from UPS asking if I still wanted to keep my claim open. headscratch.gif Glad you got yours in time for the wedding!
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    My favorite UPS experience was a piece of computer equipment for a PC I was building (I think it was the motherboard). Tracking showed it had arrived in Middleton, WI, at the time within walking distance of my house. So I figure I'll find it on my doorstep when I get home.

When it wasn't, I checked tracking again. At some point that evening they had it in Oklahoma, and then Texas...
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I had the same thing happen with a flash unit. UPS said delivered but no delivery. I called UPS and they took a loss claim report. The next day the flash miraculously arrived on my doorstep. 3-weeks later I get a phone call from UPS asking if I still wanted to keep my claim open. headscratch.gif Glad you got yours in time for the wedding!
    Should have told them you wanted to be paid out for your flash lol3.gif You could have gotten a free flash!

(just joking... doing that would be totally wrong... rolleyes1.gif )

David
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Good for J&R to react quickly. I've used them for audio stuff & have had good experience. To them, eating that shipping charge is just a cost of doing business & keeping a customer happy--and it worked. I'll bet you will look at them again after this, which was their motive. :D
    15524779-Ti.gif - And look at all the great press they are getting here. Granted, we don't have the circulation of, say, the Wall Street Journal, but .... word does get around!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I was going to go to J&R for the first time after the Superbowl parade but I still haven't made it.

I've had horrible experiences with UPS. Very inconsistent. My 40D shipped UPS and they dropped that off with the new doorman no problem. My 40D never showed up as shipped which is even worse. It showed as at origin.
    My 4GB memory card, they wouldn't deliver unless I signed. $1300 camera vs $80 memory card what's more important to have me sign for?

When I worked for CompUSA Business most of the stuff I shipped that went through them ended up damaged or lost and I had to do an RMA then reship it Next Day Fedex.

Free Fedex Ground took 1-3 days from Texas and California. Paid UPS Ground took 4-7 days from the same states. This includes my own purchases from say newegg for computer parts.

I never had an Ebay sale or purchase package arrive undamaged.
    My 19" monitor box was broken and open and the bezel was off track. I had to re-align it.

Only problem I have with Fedex is they outsource large packages to another company that really sucks.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    My 40D shipped UPS and they dropped that off with the new doorman no problem. My 40D never showed up as shipped which is even worse. It showed as at origin. My 4GB memory card, they wouldn't deliver unless I signed. $1200 camera vs $80 memory card what's more important to have me sign for?
    This is often more a function of the seller's requirements - they are the ones that request and pay for the "signature required" - and it does cost extra.

Not trying to defend one shipping company over another, but you may want to look at the terms of the sale.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

In the place where I live, there's a UPS hub. When something is shipped to me by UPS chances are 100% so far (out of two times), that the driver only reads the name of the place, doesn't read a name or address, and takes the parcel to their own hub. Then, they show it in their tracking system as "delivered, center signed". When I complain, the center resends it, and I get it. Sometimes a week after the initial delivery. I'm no UPS fan.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Ok, here are some sample images... These photos (with the exception of the flower) are STRAIGHT from camera. Oh, and the bird is a 100% crop. But, there was NOTHING else done to them. No sharpening, color, etc.. I wanted to show the lens quality off :)

This is a 100% crop:
    281613331_KfaQd-L.jpg

And some photos of my girl..
    281613178_Bka4D-L.jpg

281613068_hwQZy-L.jpg

And, a flower shot (this is the only image that I did anything to.. The other photos above were *directly* from camera.. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING done to them except for RAW->JPG):
    281613281_BTzNu-L.jpg

I *love* my lens! wings.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    Looks like keepers. (Lens and little girl. thumb.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    It's my next purchase after the macbook pro!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com