Options

Blowin' Smoke

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I've been teaching myself how to photograph smoke, something I find both fascinating and frustrating. Here are some shots from my second attempt.

280788563_m8Vry-L.jpg

280788694_4GoMf-L.jpg

280788730_JC4Qf-L.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Very interesting. I wonder if you'll ever be able to catch it with all the smoke within the picture frame......leaving nothing to lead your eye out of the picture. I like what you've done.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Very interesting. I wonder if you'll ever be able to catch it with all the smoke within the picture frame......leaving nothing to lead your eye out of the picture. I like what you've done.

I tried that with my first attempt, but being zoomed out so far I found to be much less interesting. You miss the cool curls and details (or I did, at least):
    280156465_r4gdM-M.jpg

Also, being that far out captures the "haze" the smoke dissipates into, which is much more murky and less interesting than the sharper streams closer to the source (in my opinion). This is why I zoomed in for my second attempt--I wanted more sharp ribbons and less haze.

Still playing around with it. Eventually I'm sure I'll find a compromise I'm super content with. :D That is if the overpowering smell of incense in my office doesn't drive me mad first.

Thank you so much for your comments!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 17, 2008
    Cool, Kerry.

You gelled you flash for a few of these?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool, Kerry.

You gelled you flash for a few of these?

Thank you! :D Actually, the color work I did in post, except for the blue-on-black one in my second post, which was from a custom white balance setting of 3600K. For the rest I used a Hue/Saturation layer set to Colorize as that was the method recommended in a how-to I read before trying this.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I've been teaching myself how to photograph smoke, something I find both fascinating and frustrating. Here are some shots from my second attempt.
    Thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif

Kerry these look Great clap.gif
    What do you use for your source of smoke?

The two shots with the white backgrounds look like pen and ink art.

Your doing a wonderful job at learning this technique,
    I've never tried it myself .... Well Done ! thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Kerry these look Great clap.gif
    What do you use for your source of smoke?

Thank you, Skippy! I was using two sticks of incense in my first post. The example in my second post was with only one stick of incense. My office still smells of it, days later. :giggle.
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    You know Llywellyn, I owe you one. You've given me inspiration, I think I'll try this too, 'cause your shots are so beautiful. I specially like number 2 with black background :smooch!

What did you use as a light source?

Thanks for sharing these! bowdown.gif
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Pexi wrote:
    You know Llywellyn, I owe you one. You've given me inspiration, I think I'll try this too, 'cause your shots are so beautiful. I specially like number 2 with black background :smooch!

What did you use as a light source?

Thanks for sharing these! bowdown.gif

Thank you for the kind words! :D I used my Alien Bees B400 strobe for this. More importantly, I read this how-to article before attempting anything: http://www.photocritic.org/artsmoke-photographing-smoke/

The trickiest part was severely controlling the spill of light. It took so long to get right (me being a somewhat non-natural-light newb), I haven't taken the set-up down yet because I want to keep trying--and I don't want to jury-rig it all together again! :giggle

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you do. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Cool thumb.gif

I will have to try this sometime.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    These are nice. thumb.gif
    You've put another fun thing to try on my very long ta do list. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thank you, Skippy! I was using two sticks of incense in my first post. The example in my second post was with only one stick of incense. My office still smells of it, days later. :giggle.

I gather we are talking "home office" here as opposed to a place of employment? rolleyes1.gif These are cool Kerry. I really like the high-key look of the white backgrounds, but it seems #2 with the dark really shows off the curls the best. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Cool thumb.gif

I will have to try this sometime.

Thanks. :D And it's slightly addictive.
    DaddyO wrote:
    These are nice. thumb.gif
    You've put another fun thing to try on my very long ta do list. :D

Thank you! It was on my list for a while, too. :D
    saurora wrote:
    I gather we are talking "home office" here as opposed to a place of employment? rolleyes1.gif These are cool Kerry. I really like the high-key look of the white backgrounds, but it seems #2 with the dark really shows off the curls the best. thumb.gif

Hee, I work from home, so it's technically both. deal.gif Thanks for the kind words. I prefer the white backgrounds, but I need some better smoke to really make use of them. I'll find the right combo eventually! :D