281047543_kgMoH-XL.jpg

Danielle (changed)

281047526_SxiNP-L.jpg

Alaina

280627778_NKnyY-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    thumb.gif Beautiful shots. #2 is my favorite of the set. The sharpness of the subject against that blurred mess of a background looks awesome.
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    These indeed are beautiful an you are quite talented, but in the skin smoothing process... you lost some detail. For instance the hair looks blurred together in a few and some images are on the edge of looking plastic.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Nice shots Dave. I'll agre that the pp is a bit heavy handed though.

Alaina is my favorite shot. Very pretty girl.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Hi there. Nice shots.

I agree they are a tad too soft ... Just turn it down a bit and they will be perfect iloveyou.gif LOVE the last one .... like a young Claudia Schiffer rolleyes1.gif
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    my fav is the first one. Mostly because I LOVE her hair.. :Drolleyes1.gif but they are all awesome portraits.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Beautiful subjects. Nice lighting. Great photos.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I know the processing is more than your typical portrait shot....went for glamour on the first two. I did pull them back in PS and relieved the hair of blending. Some don't like the look, some do. That's ok and thanks for stopping by. It's always fun taking a shot of a photogenic subject:D (that's why you don't see many self portraits...Laughing.gif)rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I love them! I bet they did too!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I like 2 and 3 the best. I think the first one seems a tad much on the pp, but if the clients are happy then go with the flow. I've been guilty of applying to much skin smoothing from time to time it's just a matter of finding the right balance. Great shots nonetheless!
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Oh boy........Yuri has competition. :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Well, maybe I don't :D
    Jessi (changed)
    Danielle (changed)
    Alaina
    Thanks for looking iloveyou.gif
    Oooh, David, I like this! Very pretty young ladies, and beautifully captured at that! thumb.gif Congratulations on a job well done! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hi there. Nice shots.

LOVE the last one .... like a young Claudia Schiffer rolleyes1.gif

I was thinking Heidi Klum cuz she has quite a few shots with her hair in that style, but okay mwink.gif
    Something about her left cheek is weird in the first, something in the transition so you move down, otherwise I love the subject and the lighting, lips, eyes, and red hair!

Two is my favorite. THis is because as beautiful as #3 is, I'm wanting to see those blue eyes pop out!!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Excellent
    Hi Dave,

Excellent shots. I'd like to ask you about your lighting if that's ok?

On number 2 it looks like either a large softbox or a window camera left and perhaps some fill camera right. Was this all lit by flash? It looks a bit like you used your SS to underexpose the background by a couple of stops and it looks great.

I'm currently addicted to strobist.com and I've just received my second flash (Monster Vivitar 285hv) so I'm interested in this kind of lighting for a couple of portrait shots I have coming up.

Cheers
    Ian
    edited April 18, 2008
    imonk wrote:
    Hi Dave,

Excellent shots. I'd like to ask you about your lighting if that's ok?

On number 2 it looks like either a large softbox or a window camera left and perhaps some fill camera right. Was this all lit by flash? It looks a bit like you used your SS to underexpose the background by a couple of stops and it looks great.

I'm currently addicted to strobist.com and I've just received my second flash (Monster Vivitar 285hv) so I'm interested in this kind of lighting for a couple of portrait shots I have coming up.

Cheers
    Ian

Thanks Ian. I used a large softbox camera left, then a gold reflector camera right on a stand. You would be amazed at what you can do with only one light. In these two instances, the softbox because of it's size was more than adequate to provide soft light and spill towards the background. The subjects were shot at ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/160th. Used the 70-200 on both. Jessi was at 200mm and Danielle was at 135.

The portable flashes you are going to use will work well...to an extent. Depending on the "quality" of light, the size of light and the overall dynamic of such, a flashgun may not be enough to power for an ISO of 100....but that shouldn't be a big deal....today's cams can handle a higher ISO.

The setting with the girls was fairly dark so using the big strobes made it easy. Thanks for the kind words Ian and good luck!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited April 18, 2008
    Wow Sam....now that's quite the compliment...we all know Yuri is the master thumb.gif

Nik...thank you. I love portraiture mwink.gif

I hope this one doesn't offend anyone.....I think it's simply beautiful with her red hair against the white. She did have clothes on....honest deal.gif

281394215_Tf2wC-XL.jpg

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Really appreciate it.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    No - it's stunning
    I hope this one doesn't offend anyone.....I think it's simply beautiful with her red hair against the white. She did have clothes on....honest deal.gif

281394215_Tf2wC-XL.jpg

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Really appreciate it

Dave, this whole series is really lovely. Can you share the lighting/exif and particulars of this one? What kind of sheer fabric? I love high key lighting but that white fabric really adds so much - I can see using this set up for some of the girly work I am doing. I love this look.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited April 18, 2008
    Kathy, thank you. Yes, this was shot at f/5.0 @ 1/50th, ISO 200, 70mm (using the 70-200 IS). She was placed in front of a large vertical window and there were two white panels (one on each side of her....like in a box so to speak). Used one softbox to light her, blew out the background. Had a bit of cloning as there were window supports close to the edges. Also I used a filter/layer to eliminate/soften/glow the lower and upper parts of the image once certain things were in order in LR.

Upon thinking of this set up again, it may have been much easier to simply have the white paper background, blow that out with 2 strobes and meter for her a couple stops under. Quite simple that way...instead, I made more work for myself...Laughing.gifmwink.gif Thanks for the kind words.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    These are absolutely gorgeous! I only had a quick look at the original versions earlier today but I think I like the revised ones better. My favs are #1 and #2. I really love the lighting, the vibrant colours and details and the background too. :)

-- Lisa P.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Wonderful shots Dave.....wow!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    281394215_Tf2wC-XL.jpg
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

I still think in #1 if you draw a straight line from the left corner of her mouth (her left cheek) over to her hair and then look up, there is something weird about the skin processing.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nice! I mean - LOVE iT! iloveyou.gifclap.gif
    Actually, this is about what I'm gonna shoot next weekend, provided the stars and traffic laws lay in my direction. deal.gif
    Thank you so much for sharing! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"