Options

First ND 4.0 shots

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Technique
Took some test shots today with my new ND 4.0 filter. First of all, I was taken aback by just how dark this filter is!! Can't see a blessed thing through the D70 viewfinder. The camera would not even meter with the filter on. These shots were taken in bright sun at 20 seconds at f6. My first impressions are frustration! I need to practice with this filter. I suspect it's only application will be with moving water. My second impression is that I liked the color saturation in the second shot. These are both right out of the camera.

Any thoughts or tips?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Active playground. Can you make out the slide activity?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    It's a shame the flag pole was moving, might have been a neat shot.
    Love the playground. You hit the exposure right on. Possible title,
    Ghosts of children past?
    Besides moving water, try a shot of someplace with people moving
    about and see if they all disappear.
    Good luck,
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    I too like the saturation effect. I was following your discussion with Shay Stephens about ND filters. After looking at the first shot and seeing how long your exposure was, I suspect you were right: you should get the filter your had originally ordered, this puppy blocks too much light. What do you think?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I too like the saturation effect. I was following your discussion with Shay Stephens about ND filters. After looking at the first shot and seeing how long your exposure was, I suspect you were right: you should get the filter your had originally ordered, this puppy blocks too much light. What do you think?
    I think I agree. Although now that I have opened the filter and used it, I doubt they will take it back. I was impressed with how dark the 4.0 is even in a bright, sunny, Florida day. Is the ND 3.0 this dark?
    From what I gather, I will only gain 3 stops between the two filters. Not sure if it is worth my while to exchange it (other than the fact that I like to get what I order!).

mitch
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    OK, I'm lousy at the numbers. Does three stops faster mean you would expose the identical shot for 5 seconds instead of 20 seconds? headscratch.gif If so, that's starting to become a lot more useful for things like traffic trails at dusk.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited April 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, I'm lousy at the numbers. Does three stops faster mean you would expose the identical shot for 5 seconds instead of 20 seconds? headscratch.gif If so, that's starting to become a lot more useful for things like traffic trails at dusk.
    Each stop doubles or halves.

20, 10, 5, 2.5
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Each stop doubles or halves.

20, 10, 5, 2.5
    Thanks, further proof of how bad I am at math.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Well, I broke down and ordered a B+W 1.8 ND filter. I hope this one will allow me to take the long exposure daytime shots that I want. The 4.0 is just too dark for me. My only regret is that I should have just sent back the 4.0 when I realized it was not the one I ordered.

Will post some shots when the new one arrives.

mitch