Under 10 girls soccer state regionals

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in Sports
Made it to the state regionals today, but lost.:cry The kids had fun, but the 5 hours of driving was painful. Unfortunately, the midday sun was harsh on my photos. Any thoughts?

Anticipation...

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    edited April 2, 2005
  • joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    Yeah, mid-day sun is tough!

My fiancee is a soccer coach, so I know that parents aren't supposed to just wander around the field...

But, from the looks of it, the sun was low enough that it cast sideways shadows, so I would have gotten up and moved to the sun-side of the field to take some shots...
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    Mitchell,

Yep, that lighting looks like it was real tough eek7.gif Joe's suggestion is a good one. It will probably give you better results than anything else you could try.

Options like fill flash wouldn't cut it here unless the subjects were really close (or the flash was really powerful). A polarizer might help with the skin and hair glare, but it would have cost you a stop and 1/2 of light. And using Shadow/Highlight will sap much of the contrast out of the pics (the face of the girl in the 1st pic, and the uniforms in the 2nd pic look too flat already ne_nau.gif ). No good solutions that I know of for harsh midday light and a limited ability to change shooting angles.

Still, I think you did real good considering the tough light thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited April 5, 2005
    Thanks for the input. The sun was not directly overhead, but I just could not get into good position. I would have had to stand next to the opposing team's coach!! I settled for one of the ends of the field.

The polarizer is a great idea. I usually take it off my long lens for sports, but with this much sun I could have easily left it on. There's always another game!

Thanks again,

mitch
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    This one is really nice:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5041&stc=1

but suffers from flat lighting on her face (the shadow.) I'd try two things in order to try to revive a little.
    1. Steepn the L curve in the area of her face. This might not work because there isn't enough contrast there in the first place.
    2. Try this technique: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2069

If you have trouble after 2, post the result and I'll help with the curves.
    If not now, when?