One of my favorite Cincy Locations...

Me&MyCandi(5D)Me&MyCandi(5D) Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Landscapes
...I call it CityScapes #7. I've been trying to get it perfect for over two years! Key ingredients include: Having two front porch lights on in front of the pair of white homes in the lower right (One missing this night. They echo the P&G towers in the background), long light trails from the hwy traffic (close, could be better), Nice clear sky (Got it. Clouds move in a long exposure so not desired), Leafless trees for clear views (On the brink of being too full but okay this night) , No cars parked in front of the bar to reveal a purple cast from the Neon (Got it this night)

highres_3827999.jpeg

I stumbled on a way to achieve good exposure balance but I'm afraid it will have to wait till next winter season. I plan to use a Split ND and a polarizer next year to increase the exposure time and to control the blow outs from the Neon at the bar. I try to take the shot during Rush hour as the sun is setting but this night was well past rush hour. (BTW - The Neon says 'City View Tavern' )

The previous shot can be seen at my web site... I never quite liked the WB on the previous one. Comments welcomed.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Great shot. Your hard work has paid off. thumb.gif Love it.
    Michael
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Love it. thumb.gif

The lighting is so soft and warm, it's the right amount for a city sunset. Not too little and not too much!

I never heard of that filter trick, but it sounds intriguing! I don't get much opportunity to shoot neon signs, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :D
  • Me&MyCandi(5D)Me&MyCandi(5D) Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Love it. thumb.gif

The lighting is so soft and warm, it's the right amount for a city sunset. Not too little and not too much!

I never heard of that filter trick, but it sounds intriguing! I don't get much opportunity to shoot neon signs, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :D

Thanks, with the Cokin filter system, you can put the split where ever you want so I can put the dark part of the filter over the neon or visa versa. You can control the angle of the split as well. With the polarizer and the split ND together, the exposure went from something like 5 secs to 30 secs at f8.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I really like how you caught the "home life" next to the street and city. All in one shot thumb.gif
    edited April 19, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I really like how you caught the "home life" next to the street and city. All in one shot thumb.gif

...with a literal 'line' connecting them! :D
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Nice shot!! You have put a lot of thought into this one.
    edited April 20, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Nice shot!! You have put a lot of thought into this one.

Thanks!
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Great shot!
    I know you're in Cinci, but I thought I was looking at Oakland Ca. I had to look it up to be sure. Ronald Dellums Federal Building
    What is the name of the building with the twin towers? Very cool.
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
    edited April 21, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    I know you're in Cinci, but I thought I was looking at Oakland Ca. I had to look it up to be sure. Ronald Dellums Federal Building
    What is the name of the building with the twin towers? Very cool.

It's the Procter & Gambles Headquarters. It was designed by Kohn, Pederson & Fox and won a AIA Honor award in 1987.

That photo you linked is kinda funny 'cause it has a fountain in the foreground that looks a lot like the main fountain in downtown Cincinnati on Fountain Square!
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    A print for the Cincy Chamber Of Commerce.

Nice job.