Clean Kill

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in Holy Macro
This is the second time I have seen one of these. This one is a lot smaller then the last one. But that didn’t keep it from landing a shield bug its own size.
If you crop an image is it still considered a macro? MM

281080320_sS5Wu-L.jpg

281080725_E4gHL-L.jpg

Bonus Fly
281080579_r9GE4-L.jpg

Full frame no crop
281080817_cNaj3-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Some wonderful captures :)

Lighting looks slightly harsh in some of them ?

Re the cropping - yes you can turn a closeup into a macro by cropping assuming the detail is still showing well in the crop. I tend to use a definition of macro that it should show detail you can't see with the naked eye so you see where I coming from.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    This is the second time I have seen one of these. This one is a lot smaller then the last one. But that didn’t keep it from landing a shield bug its own size.
    If you crop an image is it still considered a macro? MM
    Bonus Fly
    Full frame no crop

It's exciting to find a spider with captured prey clap.gif
    I have only experienced this in USA ..... dang long way to go to find a spider eating something rolleyes1.gif

Wonder what sort of fly that is?
    Looks like it's about to burst eek7.gif

I'd be thrilled to find a Spider like yours.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thanks Brian.
    Some wonderful captures :)

Lighting looks slightly harsh in some of them ?

Re the cropping - yes you can turn a closeup into a macro by cropping assuming the detail is still showing well in the crop. I tend to use a definition of macro that it should show detail you can't see with the naked eye so you see where I coming from.

Brian V.

So would you say the lighting is correct for #2. I like the it but the one side of the spiders body is not lit. I am still g\trying to get the lighting thing down. MM
    — Lord Byron
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thanks Skippy!
    Skippy wrote:
    It's exciting to find a spider with captured prey clap.gif
    I have only experienced this in USA ..... dang long way to go to find a spider eating something rolleyes1.gif

Wonder what sort of fly that is?
    Looks like it's about to burst eek7.gif

I'd be thrilled to find a Spider like yours.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Do you not have spiders Down Under? I have lived in Florida all my life. I am now 42 and have seen more things that I had been missing sence I got my camera. Everyone should spend some time looking through a lens. MM
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    So would you say the lighting is correct for #2. I like the it but the one side of the spiders body is not lit. I am still g\trying to get the lighting thing down. MM

Actually looking at them again perhaps harsh is the wrong word- the other shots apart from #2 have some blown areas on the spider's abdomen and the grass whilst #2 does not, but #2 might be slightly dark ?

All really depends on what you were trying to do but assuming this was using flash the lighting looks like it could do with a bit more diffusion.
    Brian V.
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thanks!
    Actually looking at them again perhaps harsh is the wrong word- the other shots apart from #2 have some blown areas on the spider's abdomen and the grass whilst #2 does not, but #2 might be slightly dark ?

All really depends on what you were trying to do but assuming this was using flash the lighting looks like it could do with a bit more diffusion.
    Brian V.

I am using a modified “Brian” diffuser. It gets so moist here that I replaced the paper towel with a white cotton handkerchief. I think I need to find a thicker one, or maybe double this one over. MM
    — Lord Byron
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    nice series, i agree with brian #2 looks best lighting.
    were you in manual or ttl flash? or may be a bit too close with diffuser? could try higher iso to use more natural light and less flash output.
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited April 18, 2008
    TTL but..
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    nice series, i agree with brian #2 looks best lighting.
    were you in manual or ttl flash? or may be a bit too close with diffuser? could try higher iso to use more natural light and less flash output.
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Not sure if TTL works with the 50mm 1.4 and a couple of tubes. Flash was set between -2 or -3 EV.
    Higher ISO with less flash output sounds good. I will try it asap. Thanks MM
    — Lord Byron