Pop Art Experiment

runner10runner10 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited April 19, 2008 in People
No new shots lately... so I decided to experient with some old photos (my daughter and my nape).

88803804.jpg

89395711.jpg

89321484.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I like these :D

Very interesting treatment. The one thing I might mention is that they look a little too 'perfect.' There is nothing to break up huge regions of a single color. When I remember pop art I think of the little bits of noise and something like a 'old film' overlaying the perfect colors.

Either way, they look great - a memorable way to look at family.

{edit: Here's an example from Andy Warhol - notice how the hair and surrounding isn't a solid color, it has lots of variation and tonal changes (easy in paint, not in photoshop...) http://www.poster.net/warhol-andy/warhol-andy-shot-orange-marilyn-2107129.jpg}
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    The one thing I might mention is that they look a little too 'perfect.' There is nothing to break up huge regions of a single color.

I agree, especially on the back and shoulder of the guy. You might try simulating half-tone dots, or if you're really daring, go for a Roy Lichtenstein look. The child looks great to me, so I think it's worth a little more effort.

Pow! Bam! Very nice. thumb.gif
  • runner10runner10 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I agree, especially on the back and shoulder of the guy. You might try simulating half-tone dots, or if you're really daring, go for a Roy Lichtenstein look. The child looks great to me, so I think it's worth a little more effort.

Pow! Bam! Very nice. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comment. The thing is I don't know how to similate half-tone dots. Gotta research how to do that. :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    runner10 wrote:
    Thanks for the comment. The thing is I don't know how to similate half-tone dots. Gotta research how to do that. :D

If you are using Photoshop, look at Filter-> Pixelate->Color Half-tone. Also Filter->Sketch->Half-tone Pattern. Another possibility is to just blend in some texture or noise. Lots of possibilites.
    edited April 18, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    If you are using Photoshop, look at Filter-> Pixelate->Color Half-tone. Also Filter->Sketch->Half-tone Pattern. Another possibility is to just blend in some texture or noise. Lots of possibilites.

Thanks Richard. Will give it a try this weekend. Appreciate it! :D
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Fun stuff... All that is missing is an iPod!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I Really really really like the first one. It would be amazing on a great big canvas!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited April 19, 2008
    THanks! :)