A mini shoot with my 4 year old

lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
So I think I've finally gotten brave enough to post something here to get some feedback. :)

I did a mini photo shoot with my 4 year old earlier this week (until he heard the kids next door outside and wanted to run over to play). It was after dinner and there were quite a few shadows that I was trying to work with/fight with.

This was actually the first time I took the shots in RAW and I know I haven't taken full advantage of post processing in the Photoshop Elements I have (still learning and taking a course in May). I got some advice over in 'Finishing School' on the first one because he had bubbles coming out of his mouth. My version isn't near as good as the example that was posted for me there, but I'm pretty happy with how the lips turned out considering it was my first time doing something other than basic cropping, taking out a few spots here and there and using some of the more automatic adjustment features, etc.

Something I learned -- always carry a tissue or wet wipe in my pocket when shooting kids. There were lots of crumbs on his face from dinner that I should have gotten rid of BEFORE taking the photos!!

Any feedback/advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

281180386_JCrTK-L-1.jpg

281180064_po5SQ-L-1.jpg

281180222_Jq8rL-L-1.jpg

Tried a couple more a few days later:

284248868_vJz3q-L-2.jpg

284255527_V2yKb-L-2.jpg

Thanks,

-- Lisa P.

Comments

• RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I like the personality you captured in the last...
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Thanks. That one (which was #3 at the time) does actually reflect his personality :)

I tried following him around again and got a couple more (4&5). It was pretty much the same time of day I think (around 7pm) but the sun was giving off a different colour. I know I really need to work on those shadows.

I'm finding he moves around so quickly, it's challenging to get natural shots, which is what I really like to try to do, and try to remember things like what the shadows are doing. :(

Any advice/suggestions, etc anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

-- Lisa P.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    number 4 is my fav. The first two are a little cool. You might look at using the shade or cloudy white balance.
    edited April 24, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    number 4 is my fav. The first two are a little cool. You might look at using the shade or cloudy white balance.

Thanks Josh. I am struggling a bit with the colouring and getting it look good. Practice, practice, practice and lots of looking at everyone's photos on here to learn what is appealing to the eye. :) I seem to favour bluish colouring without realizing it so I definitely need to work on that.

Anything else I can maybe do composition wise?

-- Lisa P.
    edited April 24, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    Thanks Josh. I am struggling a bit with the colouring and getting it look good. Practice, practice, practice and lots of looking at everyone's photos on here to learn what is appealing to the eye. :) I seem to favour bluish colouring without realizing it so I definitely need to work on that.

Anything else I can maybe do composition wise?

-- Lisa P.

I just started shooting RAW which I find gives you a LOT more control in post. I am the opposite of you-I tend to like the sunset yellow side rather than the blue side. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    edited April 24, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I just started shooting RAW which I find gives you a LOT more control in post. I am the opposite of you-I tend to like the sunset yellow side rather than the blue side. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm almost finding that there are too many options for me now that I started shooting RAW. I'm sure with time I'll get more comfortable and will know exactly what 'look' I'm trying to edit for.

-- Lisa P.
    edited April 24, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    I'm almost finding that there are too many options for me now that I started shooting RAW. I'm sure with time I'll get more comfortable and will know exactly what 'look' I'm trying to edit for.

-- Lisa P.

I felt the same way. I picked up a couple of PS books that helped, plus several hundred pics later, I am getting where I like it. I posted a summary of how one book said to walk through the steps. it is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. You cab brighten just the mid tones, just the lows, etc.