281241694_d7wFj-O.jpg

281241737_kMrxp-O.jpg
Ryan McGill

My Gear

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Overall these are quite nice portraits.
    The one thing I noticed in 1 & 3 is his hands being in his pockets. Which I like, it's nice and casual, as small as a nitpick as this is I would like to see his thumb hanging out, just so his wrist is cut right off.
    I like that you've achieved a very well 'blurred' bg.
    Pose #3 I like.. but it almost seems as though his arm is just suspended there, obviously I can see the pole, but it just doesn't look right to me. Perhaps a different angle? (I'm thinking moving over to camera left about a foot or two..) Maybe I've just been looking at it too long and it's starting to look weird lol.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Number 3 was my favorite until I noticed the arm appearing suspended...doesn't even look like it's touching the pole...kind of strange. headscratch.gif I like the nice bokeh you captured in #1. I would touch up the blemishes, otherwise pretty nice!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I'm seeing green hair and a blend over of green skin tones in the first two (look at the area by the ears). I think the last is the best.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I like #1 and #3 the best. The crop on #2 just doesn't seem right. Maybe it would have been better to shoot this one in landscape mode?
    I'm not on my computer with my best monitor...but I too see a bit of green in #1.
    #3 needs to be rotated to the left just a tiny bit to straighten out the column. Laughing.gif I really didn't see the arm as floating in air until it was pointed out. The nice bokeh and the fact that he seems POP out of the background were my first impressions.
    All in all I'd say they are quite nice!

Anna
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    There is some green reflection on his face in #1. I like that one the most.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Overall these are quite nice portraits.
    The one thing I noticed in 1 & 3 is his hands being in his pockets. Which I like, it's nice and casual, as small as a nitpick as this is I would like to see his thumb hanging out, just so his wrist is cut right off.
    I like that you've achieved a very well 'blurred' bg.
    Pose #3 I like.. but it almost seems as though his arm is just suspended there, obviously I can see the pole, but it just doesn't look right to me. Perhaps a different angle? (I'm thinking moving over to camera left about a foot or two..) Maybe I've just been looking at it too long and it's starting to look weird lol.
    Some really great advice here thanks!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 21, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Number 3 was my favorite until I noticed the arm appearing suspended...doesn't even look like it's touching the pole...kind of strange. headscratch.gif I like the nice bokeh you captured in #1. I would touch up the blemishes, otherwise pretty nice!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I never noticed the Suspended arm til you guys pointed it out. I guess it has to do with the plane of focus.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 21, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm seeing green hair and a blend over of green skin tones in the first two (look at the area by the ears). I think the last is the best.

I notice that now as well. Good catch!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 21, 2008
    annaelycm wrote:
    I like #1 and #3 the best. The crop on #2 just doesn't seem right. Maybe it would have been better to shoot this one in landscape mode?
    I'm not on my computer with my best monitor...but I too see a bit of green in #1.
    #3 needs to be rotated to the left just a tiny bit to straighten out the column. Laughing.gif I really didn't see the arm as floating in air until it was pointed out. The nice bokeh and the fact that he seems POP out of the background were my first impressions.
    All in all I'd say they are quite nice!

Anna
    Anna,

Thanks for the comments! I will take these into consideration. :D
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 21, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    There is some green reflection on his face in #1. I like that one the most.

Many thanks... it is amazing how we can miss stuff on our own images...
    Ryan McGill

My Gear