D300 10% off at Dell

Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Cameras
Dell Small Business division has all digital cameras on sale for up to 20% off. This is the first discount I've seen for the D300. Everywhere else has it for $1799.99, but the D300 is on sale for 10% off so it is now $$1,619.99. Plus, free 3-5 day shipping. But, for only $20 more you can get it next day.

Now for the bad news....it is not in stock. The wait is 1-2 weeks. Still, not a bad wait to save $180.00...
Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

Comments

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Ken Lapp wrote:
    Dell Small Business division has all digital cameras on sale for up to 20% off. This is the first discount I've seen for the D300. Everywhere else has it for $1799.99, but the D300 is on sale for 10% off so it is now $$1,619.99. Plus, free 3-5 day shipping. But, for only $20 more you can get it next day.

Now for the bad news....it is not in stock. The wait is 1-2 weeks. Still, not a bad wait to save $180.00...

Nice, wish I had the cash, cause a 1-2 week waiting period to save 180.00 bucks is deal!!!! Thanks for the info.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Makes you wonder what they are paying for it..
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Is this for real?
    I wonder if this camera is for the USA or a grey market. I do not think that a company like Dell will sell a grey market camera without informing the buyer, would you?

Joe headscratch.gif
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    joeinmiami wrote:
    I wonder if this camera is for the USA or a grey market. I do not think that a company like Dell will sell a grey market camera without informing the buyer, would you?

Joe headscratch.gif
    I thnk a company as large as Dell couldn't care less. As long as they advertise it as grey market. I think grey market is a funny term considering the "USA" versions aren't made in the USA.
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    They did something like this with the Sony A700 a while back. Huge discount compared to all others and they sold out quickly.
    edited April 19, 2008
    I checked it on the site and I can not find where it says grey market...my guess is that is not the case...I am not sure why people seem to think that camera stores are only marking stuff up 15% (cause it always seems that when a discount is offered everybody seems to think they are losing money on the deal or breaking even), my guess is they make a 30-40% profit off most of their stuff, if not, it would be really hard to make a camera store run off 10% profit when it is a very seldom purchase product and not even a super high price product like a car...I would really love to see an invoice from a camera store to see what they pay from Nikon or Canon...

Like someone else said, they may have only offered it at this price to spread word of mouth and send vistors to their stie hoping they will spend some more money there...and if that is the case, then it has worked cause this was posted in a forum where lots of people are checking it out...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I checked it on the site and I can not find where it says grey market...my guess is that is not the case...I am not sure why people seem to think that camera stores are only marking stuff up 15% (cause it always seems that when a discount is offered everybody seems to think they are losing money on the deal or breaking even), my guess is they make a 30-40% profit off most of their stuff, if not, it would be really hard to make a camera store run off 10% profit when it is a very seldom purchase product and not even a super high price product like a car...I would really love to see an invoice from a camera store to see what they pay from Nikon or Canon...

Like someone else said, they may have only offered it at this price to spread word of mouth and send vistors to their stie hoping they will spend some more money there...and if that is the case, then it has worked cause this was posted in a forum where lots of people are checking it out...

They don't make anywhere near that much money off of them, a lot of the time B&H will only make $50 to 150 off of a body around the price of the d200 so expect to see the D300 drop in the coming months. And the way they can make so much money is with B&H they have tremendous volume. And people usually don't buy just the camera body, they need cases, extra batteries. Memory cards, lenses, flashes. So on and so on. So even if they only make 10 to 15% markup on a body that camera store can have a lot better margins with the accessories
    edited April 19, 2008
    They don't make anywhere near that much money off of them, a lot of the time B&H will only make $50 to 150 off of a body around the price of the d200 so expect to see the D300 drop in the coming months. And the way they can make so much money is with B&H they have tremendous volume. And people usually don't buy just the camera body, they need cases, extra batteries. Memory cards, lenses, flashes. So on and so on. So even if they only make 10 to 15% markup on a body that camera store can have a lot better margins with the accessories

I am not talking about B&H I am talking about the lone local brick and mortor camera store, who offer the same price as most online vendors...If you have some sore of invioce to show what they make on a camera I would love to see it.

I beleive there is more mark up then 10-15% on camera bodies...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I am not talking about B&H I am talking about the lone local brick and mortor camera store, who offer the same price as most online vendors...If you have some sore of invioce to show what they make on a camera I would love to see it.

I beleive there is more mark up then 10-15% on camera bodies...

Most of the places I've seen that are local stores do have far more markup than B&H to the point of a couple hundred dollars, which would be that increased markup
    edited April 19, 2008
    Most of the places I've seen that are local stores do have far more markup than B&H to the point of a couple hundred dollars, which would be that increased markup

Interesting, when I purchased my d40, "shutterbug" chain (local store) they were roughly the same price as B&H and I have been checking around to see what a d300 goes for and they are the same price as most online vendors...so this is why I tend to believe there is more then a 15% mark up on camera bodies and lenses.
    www.brandonperron.com