Options

CS3 RAW Help Please - Color/Tone Issue

photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited April 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi,

I have just started to use PS CS3 since I couldn't edit my new Canon 40D RAW images in CS2. I am having a hard time with white balance settings in the RAW Converter for CS3. It seems to add a TON of saturation to the image. None of the white balances looks right on a lot of the images. I have taken about 1000 images and have already ran about half of them through the converter, but I keep struggling with them. It seems that my struggle is at the first stage which is the white balance. Anyone else have this problem with the CS3 converter and or 40D images. I also seem to get a lot of red color in my images to where I am really having to desaturate red. With-in the camera, I shoot RAW only and use AWB about 90% of the time since I can make the adjustment in the converter.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all...

Have a great weekend..

Michele

Comments

• Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    photomagic wrote:
    Hi,

I have just started to use PS CS3 since I couldn't edit my new Canon 40D RAW images in CS2. I am having a hard time with white balance settings in the RAW Converter for CS3. It seems to add a TON of saturation to the image. None of the white balances looks right on a lot of the images. I have taken about 1000 images and have already ran about half of them through the converter, but I keep struggling with them. It seems that my struggle is at the first stage which is the white balance. Anyone else have this problem with the CS3 converter and or 40D images. I also seem to get a lot of red color in my images to where I am really having to desaturate red. With-in the camera, I shoot RAW only and use AWB about 90% of the time since I can make the adjustment in the converter.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all...

Have a great weekend..

Michele

Michele,

Is is the problem with Studio Lighting? 5D owners reported this issue last year. WB should be a breeze to fix in ACR. Select the WB eye dropper and use the eye dropper to click on a neutral color (Grey). This will result in corrected WB.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    First, be sure to White balance on a non specular white (something akin to the 2nd white patch you'd find on a Macbeth Color checker). You may find that a slight additional tweak on Tint or Temp will provide a more preferred rendering. You may also want to zoom in to 100% for a better WB eyedropper sampling.

If you find there's too much saturation, just lower either the Saturation slider or even try Vibrance although I've never seen this issue after WB. Once you get a single image close to your goal, copy and paste to all others, tweak individually if necessary.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/