Help!-Shadows!

gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Technique
Help! I am shooting a wedding tomorrow but I am having major problems. When I take pictures of the couple at the front of the church, I am getting major shadows. I have a Canon 40D with a 430EX flash. I can't bounce it because I'm not getting enough light. HELP!!! :help

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    It's getting kind of late, but without a photo to look at, it's pretty difficult to see what you are up against. Any chance of posting a photo or a link?
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:

I think the problem is that you are shooting in portrait orientation without a flash bracket. In landscape, the flash is centered on the lens axis, but without a bracket it moves to the side of the axis when you shoot portrait, thus creating shadows.. A bracket will solve this problem, but it would probably be better still if you could get the flash off-camera.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Could you bounce the flash and dial up the flash. Play around with the buttons on the back. Be sure and bring exta batteries. Also, if you tape a piece of paper to the back side of the flash it will make a great diffuser, throwing a good deal of the light forward so you don't loose so much going to the ceiling. You can buy various devices that do this, but a piece of paper works just fine.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    What about existing light with no flash?
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Could you bounce the flash and dial up the flash. Play around with the buttons on the back. Be sure and bring exta batteries. Also, if you tape a piece of paper to the back side of the flash it will make a great diffuser, throwing a good deal of the light forward so you don't loose so much going to the ceiling. You can buy various devices that do this, but a piece of paper works just fine.

15524779-Ti.gif

I once used a paper plate I stole from the church because I forgot my bounce card I usually use. This technique works great for fill light and bounce off a ceiling even if it is 20ft or more works fairly well.

I usually always shoot in manual/raw for these shots. Gives me a ton of correction lattitude for post processing. Practice a day before to find the right settings of you do not feel comfortable figuring out manual settings quicklythumb.gif

edit: DOH!!! i am too late for advice, i hope your shots came out. Post back so we know how ya did
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • hedlesshedless Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I love how you guys all chip in with advice!

gwendolyn, hope you let us know how it went, curious if it worked out better for ya.
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Thanks!!!
    You guys are great! Thanks so much! I ended up being able to borrow a flash bracket from my aunt. It really helped out with 90% of the shots! If I would have been more familier with how to use it correctly, I could have got all the shots, but I didn't realize until afterward how to work it so the flash isn't sideways when I shot in portrait mode.
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    You guys are great! Thanks so much! I ended up being able to borrow a flash bracket from my aunt. It really helped out with 90% of the shots! If I would have been more familier with how to use it correctly, I could have got all the shots, but I didn't realize until afterward how to work it so the flash isn't sideways when I shot in portrait mode.

Terrible time to practice with new equipment but I am glad you got some good shots. Any examples???thumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/