A few from this past week

hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in Landscapes
I am looking for opinions on the first two. Specifically, how you like the composition? They are taken at different focal lengths and with different lenses.

From last Thursday the 11th:

281144861_ZPrGi-L.jpg

and from Sunday the 13th :

281152420_Gjwv7-L.jpg

281152305_VVswN-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I actually like your first photo best. The clouds and the color of the grass works for me. Also that is was taken lower to the ground with the visual of the light grass and dark clouds almost touching.

Reminds me of my times out on cold, cloudy and windy days on the
    prairie :D
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    They are all very nice. Thanks for posting.
  • Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    The second shot is my favorite. The light is beautiful, showing the movement of the grass and bringing out a livliness that the first shot doesn't (although I love the sky of the first photo.) The last shot is also beautiful. I like the angle you took this from, the color of the sky and the composition.

Very nice photos!
  • hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone.

Does the composition work in the first two? I'm really looking for honest answers about the composition. This might be a place to return to, if it's worth the effort.

Thanks again.
  • Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    hejjafish wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Does the composition work in the first two? I'm really looking for honest answers about the composition. This might be a place to return to, if it's worth the effort.

Thanks again.

In the first and second photo, the trees are a big distraction and seem to take away from the feeling of the pictures. I really like the sky in the first shot, but the lack of light makes the grass look rather flat. If the trees were not in the second photo, then I would say yes, the compostion works, at least for me it would, especially if you got more grass. Keep the sky in the upper 2/3 of the shot and the grass in the lower 1/3.

Hope that helps. I'm by no means a pro at this, but that's how I would change things. The 3rd photo, like I said. is pleasing in composition and light.
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Kellen
    I think both of the photographs are fine. But I am partial to number two because of the light. I think the photographs convey the moment that you were trying to capture, The blowing wind and threatening skies.thumb.gif
  • edge100edge100 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    2>1>>3

I like the rich colours of the second shot, though it's neck-and-neck with the first. A greatly prefer both to the third; I know what you're going for, but it's a shame you couldn't get more exposure in the grass and trees without blowing out the great colours in the sky; perhaps an ND grad next time?
  • ScottPeditionScottPedition Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2008
    Purely in terms of composition, I really prefer the third. At least at this resolution and on my screen, the grass in the first two forms a wall that blocks my eyes from entering the scene and exploring. I find my eyes drawn deep into the third picture, free to explore.

In terms of exposure and color, the second is my favorite, hands down.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Sorry...I still stick with #1....the grass catches me. Looks just like the grass you see on the prairie when the wind is blowing.
  • hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I appreciate the honest opinions.

Calm Light, I was going for something simple. You'd like an even more simple composition. I'll give it a try next time.:D

edge100, It's funny you prefer the first two to the last one. When I went back on the 13th I went to re shoot the first. The last was a quick shot I happened to grab after the sun had light up the scene. I did use a ND grad, 3 stops worth, on all of these.

Scott, thanks for the insight. I'll keep you words in mind.thumb.gif

Dogdots, no need for apologies. Your opinion matters too. Each has a different character and we all seem to like different images for different reasons.:D