An impromptu shoot

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in People
A colleague of mine, who is a professional opera singer "reluctantly" agreed to a test shoot to allow me to practice. C&C Welcome:
281466042_xFg4D-XL.jpg

281466076_cShS2-XL.jpg

281466100_NAFzb-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Like #3. Most natural.
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I think she's a very pretty lady.
    I'm not so sure about the light situation though. With that harsh, probably mid-day, sunlight it puts half her face in shadow and makes too many dark lines on her face to bring out the soft beautiful features in her face -even the soft treatment you used on the first doesn't really help.
    Next time just wait for a clouded over day or else take her inside and put her neart a window.
    That being said I do like some of the poses and angles that you got out of this shot.
    Good stuff, just watch the light.
    Cheers,
    a.
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Hmmm.... I'm stuck on these shots. All have something good and something not so good.

The third shot is compositionally the best, but the fact you cna see into her shirt is def not flattering and the shot height puts the emphasis on her chest.

I have to agree with the fact the light is much too harsh. In this situation find shade and shoot becuase it'll be much easier and better looking.

The last issue I have is the PP'ing on the images... I'm looking at it and seeing either resize artifacts or over sharpening plus a glamour glow... not sure if I personally like it, but have seen it done before like this.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thank you all for your insight and all are SPOT ON. We took a few minutes around 1pm to go across to the harbor and it was wicked bright which caused dor harsh lighting conditions and then to mitigate that I applied some PP that doesn't completely get rid of it and thus we have the issues you all have pointed out. This really was a quick hey let's go take a few "test" shots so I can get more comfortable with a "model" and how to manage a shoot so I think overall I'm fairly happy with the result in that context but definitely need to address the items pointed out. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Really nice Randy. Those impromtu shots make it difficult to nail the things one would like if the time was available....especially with a hesitant subject..Laughing.gif.

All that these would need is the addtion of a reflector/and or a diffuser on a stand and the harsh light could be controlled. I think you did great especially considering the time elements. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Marshmallow ManMarshmallow Man Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    great series..

however is it just me or is the light used really hot? ne_nau.gif
    - Roy

edited April 21, 2008
    great series..

however is it just me or is the light used really hot? ne_nau.gif

Hi Marshmallow Man, yes this was outside, next to Boston Harbor around 1PM in really bright, harsh sunlight but as indicated it was an impromptu so I had no refelctors and just shot the best I could....it was more of an exercise in working with someone who had done this before because I had not.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited April 21, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Really nice Randy. Those impromtu shots make it difficult to nail the things one would like if the time was available....especially with a hesitant subject..Laughing.gif.

All that these would need is the addtion of a reflector/and or a diffuser on a stand and the harsh light could be controlled. I think you did great especially considering the time elements. thumb.gif

Thanks Swartzy. I'm looking foward to having a more controlled session because I think we can get some terrific shots. This woman is very easy to work with and didn't need any direction at all.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I like the third the best.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear