Sandboarding

nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Sports
This is one of my best shots i've taken when sandboarding with mates. The colours are the way they are because I accidentally put my appature up instead of my shutter speed :scratch but I think the colours work with the action. Some detail has been lost when posting but you get the idea :D C&C welcome

sandboardin2023.jpg

~Mark
Life only happens once....so capture it

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thats a good action photo however i dont think the aperture is the cause of your over saturated colour. What did you do to the colour in processing ?

Also just from my point of view i always like to try & get the sports persons face in a photo as expression is 9/10ths the story for me. So maybe try from the other side next time.
  • nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thats a good action photo however i dont think the aperture is the cause of your over saturated colour. What did you do to the colour in processing ?

Also just from my point of view i always like to try & get the sports persons face in a photo as expression is 9/10ths the story for me. So maybe try from the other side next time.

yea sorry i forgot to explain that the aperture caused the photo to be really dark and I am currently using the most basic of editing tools and this was the best I could do with what i had ne_nau.gif

As for the position of the shot, I have over 100 other sandboarding shots all from different angles and i guess I just wanted to capture the drama of the sand in this one.

Thanks for the feed back ~Mark
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Cool. How about securely putting your camera into a plastic sandwich bag & laying down on the sand & letting the board rider go over the top of you & maybe get them between you & the sun to show a strong silhouette with sand spray & maybe converting it to B&W ?

Just a thought anyway...i torture my gear so remember it may only take a grain of sand to end your camera but i suspect you are well aware of that.
    edited April 19, 2008
    We've been thinking about doing that for a while now but the problem is that sand isn't as consistent as snow so one jump may safely clear me while the next might land on my head!

Here's a quick B&W conversion.

sandboardin2023-1.jpg
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I likr the b/w, nice job in the recovery thumb.gif

some thing to think about next time is the exposure - the sand is over blown in both, loosing detail that would have (imho) enhanced the shot.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited April 19, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    I likr the b/w, nice job in the recovery thumb.gif

some thing to think about next time is the exposure - the sand is over blown in both, loosing detail that would have (imho) enhanced the shot.

C.

Thanks a lot. Thinking about exposure is all I do when shooting sand!!! I stopped down for this shot and the sand came out fine but the subject was massively underexposed so I had to brighten in p/p which undid the good sand expusure! It's a never ending battle...

Thanks again for your advice ~Mark
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    If you can work in Photoshop you can do layers where you keep the good sand and you enhance the rest.

I understand you are working with a simpler PP app.

Nice shooting!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    nedlA kraM wrote:
    The colours are the way they are because I accidentally put my appature up instead of my shutter speed headscratch.gif

One of the reasons the colors are that way because your camera is set on 'high saturation' .

Did you manually set it that way, or are you using the 'Vivid' setting?
    edited April 19, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:
    One of the reasons the colors are that way because your camera is set on 'high saturation' .

Did you manually set it that way, or are you using the 'Vivid' setting?

The camera was on vivid though most of the saturation came through p/p because of the darkness of the photo caused by the high f-stop and my lack of decent editing tools/skillrolleyes1.gif

I'll keep an eye on the setting though, now that I look at some of my other photo's i can see they are a tad oversaturated.

Thanks ~Mark
    edited April 19, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    If you can work in Photoshop you can do layers where you keep the good sand and you enhance the rest.

I understand you are working with a simpler PP app.

Nice shooting!

Don

Yea i really must invest in photoshop.

Thanks for the feedback ~Mark