Can't edit friend/family captions-

bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited May 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've got some galleries setup, with friend/family editing privileges turned on, but can't get it working-

The drop down box shows up, but selecting "Edit Caption..." just goes to a blank web page --

I've searched and found some stuff saying maybe password protected and hidden galleries aren't allowed, but I get this same result on a public, unprotected gallery?

Also, We have setup a gallery on both accounts, and each account gets the same result when trying to edit the other account's gallery-

Am I missing something?

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Hello wave.gif

I can't seem to replicate this behavior. Can you give me some more info, please? What browser? What OS? Can you give me a link to the images/gallery where this is happening? Does it happen on all galleries? or just a specific one? Have you tried it on a different machine and/or browser? If so, any difference there?
  • bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    more info...
    Certainly --

Browser = IE7 and FF2, both WinXP
    This gallery: http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/gallery/4749348_ZMoSb is set for friend/family edit captions. "sheilaf" is marked as family to me, as am I to her.

The gallery shows up on her home page, and does not require a password.

When I am logged in, and viewing that gallery, the "tools" drop down list with two options appears under the image with two choices: "Edit this caption/keywords" and "Edit captions/keywords (bulk)".

If I choose the first option, it goes here:
    http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=281490801&tool=caption
    If I choose the second option, it goes to this URL: http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=281490801&tool=bulkcaption
    ....both of which are blank white pages, on either browser-

For kicks, I also set a gallery of mine up for family edit and she reported the same blank white page -- unsure of her browser/os, but it is a windows/ie combo-

Many thanks-
    bh

ivar wrote:
    Hello wave.gif

I can't seem to replicate this behavior. Can you give me some more info, please? What browser? What OS? Can you give me a link to the images/gallery where this is happening? Does it happen on all galleries? or just a specific one? Have you tried it on a different machine and/or browser? If so, any difference there?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    Certainly --

Browser = IE7 and FF2, both WinXP
    This gallery: http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/gallery/4749348_ZMoSb is set for friend/family edit captions. "sheilaf" is marked as family to me, as am I to her.

The gallery shows up on her home page, and does not require a password.

When I am logged in, and viewing that gallery, the "tools" drop down list with two options appears under the image with two choices: "Edit this caption/keywords" and "Edit captions/keywords (bulk)".

If I choose the first option, it goes here:
    http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=281490801&tool=caption
    If I choose the second option, it goes to this URL: http://sheilaf.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=281490801&tool=bulkcaption
    ....both of which are blank white pages, on either browser-

For kicks, I also set a gallery of mine up for family edit and she reported the same blank white page -- unsure of her browser/os, but it is a windows/ie combo-

Many thanks-
    bh
    Can you click the "edit" under each photo and do one at a time?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited April 19, 2008
    well...
    There is no "Edit" under each individual caption... ne_nau.gif
    Allen wrote:
    Can you click the "edit" under each photo and do one at a time?
    edited April 19, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    There is no "Edit" under each individual caption... ne_nau.gif
    Have both of you clicked each other to enable.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/friends-and-family
    edited April 19, 2008
    Allen, there should not be a 'edit' link under the photo as with a normal account, this is how it should look:

20080419-bwte4bknkqec2u8dr1gpu7mrfd.jpg
    edited April 19, 2008
    I just confirmed it works, at least with the latest Firefox in Win.
    Added caption to other family site then deleted it using the bulk
    in the dropdown.
    edited April 19, 2008
    ivar-

that is exactly how it looks-without the word "edit"-

but selecting either tool goes to the urls mentioned in the prev message, both of which are blank--

Allen wrote:
    I just confirmed it works, at least with the latest Firefox in Win.
    Added caption to other family site then deleted it using the bulk
    in the dropdown.
    edited April 20, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    ivar-

that is exactly how it looks-without the word "edit"-

but selecting either tool goes to the urls mentioned in the prev message, both of which are blank--
    Have you tried a different computer by any chance? Can you try clearing your browsers' cache and see if that helps?
    edited April 20, 2008
    clearing cache - yes, no difference-
    different computer - no, but i will this evening-

-bh
    ivar wrote:
    Have you tried a different computer by any chance? Can you try clearing your browsers' cache and see if that helps?
    edited April 20, 2008
    still no luck...
    ivar wrote:

just tried different computer- IE and FF ... still not able to edit the captions. exact same results -- the drop down list with the tools is there, but either one ("this" or "bulk") goes to a blank white screen-

viewed the html source and it was an empty document with basically head and body tags, nothing else-

any more suggestions?

bh
    edited May 3, 2008
    update-
    ivar wrote:

still not having any luck-ne_nau.gif

so far, i've tried three computers, three browsers (one or two on each computer), and three different galleries- most recently, another gallery on another users account that has me listed as friend-

since i'm sure it is working for some (most?) people, my question is, are there any settings that disable this option? i've got the obvious ones checked -- allow friends/family to edit, and have the other person marked as friend/family -- we are both able to get to the point where we see the drop down list with the two edit options in it, but clicking either ones leads to a blank screen-

i don't know what else to try at this point-

-bh