More with the new lens...

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited April 19, 2008 in People
Snapped a few pictures of my sister today. I'm loving my new Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens!

C&C welcome...

281505783_JT2Mg-L.jpg

281505885_awhZE-L.jpg

281506021_Phm6k-L.jpg

281506271_v2vBX-L.jpg

281506584_xBM3j-L.jpg

281506873_3d7Yv-L.jpg

281507079_U3HaA-L.jpg

281507520_zPCRF-L.jpg

281507267_WHTbR-L.jpg

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Great pics! Great subject--what a cute kid!

1 i love the NM colors. it is a little hot. love the angle. might be better if you dropped the background out of focus.

2 again, nice NM colors. The sun on her right arm is a little distracting--too hot. Need me to shade that part!

3 i like how you dropped the backgound out of focus

4 like it. Obviously, the glass is a little dirty. I wonder if anyone has ideas as to how to make the reflection brighter. presumable get more light on her

6 I like the variety as far as they are not all of her smiling.

7 this is my favorite. I like the eyes.

8 a little blue

Again, great job overall. Get us someone to shoot on Sunday! I am proud of you!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Did you use a reflector on some of these?

I like #1.
    #2 the light leads me straight to her elbow.
    Light in 3 is pleasing.
    #4 nice idea I'm not crazy about all the dust or whatever in the reflection.
    #5 I wish the light was the same as #3.
    7 is my favorite. Love the angles, framing and lighting.
    closely followed by 6.
    #8 I would like it more if it weren't for that green weed in her hair and neck on the left. I think it hurts a pretty photo.
    Same problem #9
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    #s 1,3,5,8, and to a degree #9 could have been improved IMO by asking her to lower her chin a tad. It just seems that she has a tendency to jut her chin out for photos. This is much less evident in 2 and 7, and I think these two are more flattering to her. This is easy to see after the fact of taking photos and viewing/ critiqing on a PC screen, but a bit more difficult to identify as a photoshoot unfolds. Don't be afraid to ask your subjects to adjust themselves to better suit themselves....and you. The hardest thing for me was/is training my eye to find things like necklace clasps, clothes tags, and bra straps that are out of place BEFORE taking the picture. I once shot a set of engagement photos and the groom to be had his shoe untied for ALL of the photos. I had to spend time correcting this in all the shots that showed his shoes!!! Knowing how to pose your subjects to their advantage, and training your eye to see things that are out of place before the shutter snaps will make you a better photographer. Your local library may have books on the shelves that pertain to posing. Ours here are old old out of date and style books however.....what flattered then flatters now.

1 nice/cute
    2 crossed arms tend to look defensive and should usually be avoided much like stuffing hands in pockets.
    3 thie chin angle isn't working for me
    4 next time let her lean her face to the glass and let the reflection be a secondary subject instead of a primary one
    5 pretty nice...if her left hand were on her hip you could have kept it in the frame.
    6 I would like it better if her face filled the frame here
    7 I like the angle, but the blown out of focus stuff in the upper left isn't doing the image any favors
    8 The greeney is a distraction
    9 my favorite of them all, but I still think the greenery at lower right detracts from an otherwise beautiful image
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I believe #7 is the strongest of the series, but also has the biggest distraction in it.

I love everythign about it, the angle, the expression, the composition.

But as mentioned above the blown out area is the first thing my eyes go to in the image and it always circles back to it... Still a great capture though.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. Keep them coming! You are teaching me so much.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX