First Night Light Streaks

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in Landscapes
Took these tonight, my first try at car light streaks. Is there a standard name for these? Anyhow, trying to get better at this so that I can get something very interesting, I'm planning to go out nearly ever day this week and try new spots in the city.

C&C requested.

281509659_zz7bx-L.jpg

281510472_cZYSK-L.jpg

281510796_8NLnB-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I like the lighting in the first... i wouldnt do this at a stop light... because you will expose cars... if your just going for the light streeks, do it where cars won't stop in front of you and end up getting exposed, as you just want the light
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    I like the lighting in the first... i wouldnt do this at a stop light... because you will expose cars... if your just going for the light streeks, do it where cars won't stop in front of you and end up getting exposed, as you just want the light

Thanks.

I totally agree with the cars that are stopped kinda ruining things. Funny thing though, nobody wanted to go with me and I just don't feel safe after sundown alone on a street where there aren't a lot of folks coming by. Planning to look for a better place to go, something more interesting with less possibility of stoppage. Going to work on scouting some spots tomorrow

:D
    ~ Lisa
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I like #1 the most. thumb.gif

Really good for your first time messing w/ shots like this. I agree about the cars, but I wouldn't mind one car or object to be static in the image. It gives your eyes a second to rest but let's you zoom off to check out the rest of the shot again.
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Like the star burst. Did you put on a filter?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    david-low wrote:

These are achieved by stopping the lens down to a very small aperture. thumb.gif
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    david-low wrote:

Nope, no filter. Just F22 mwink.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Nice job!! I agree with the others, #1 is my favorite.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    These are nice. If you can capture a passing (well lit) high sided vehicle, the effect can sometimes be very nice nice (especially if you get red streaks from the top of the vehicle). Also, I recommend experimenting with lowering the height of the tripod/camera so it doesn't look like light streaks are below you.

In the case of your photographs, I think the presence of cars parked at the traffic lights add to, rather than detract from the image.