Geotagging and SmugMug... A Complaint and Suggestion!

Robert BarnettRobert Barnett Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited April 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

I am using an Earthmate PN20 and RoboGeo to geotag my photos. I am currently working with a small set until I get the hang of things. I have successfully geotagged the photos. They show up find in Google Earth. When I upload them to SmugMug:

http://robertbarnettphotography.smugmug.com/

I see two pins on the map and even after waiting until the next day I still only see two pins. When I click on one of the pins I am taken to a larger map view with no pins, no photos no nothing.

Apparently you have to add captions to each photo before they will show up. I wish SmugMug would do a better job of letting people know about these things. No place that I saw in any information from SmugMug does it say you have to add captions.

Come on Smug, how about creating some quick and simple step-by-step guides for these kinds of things. You really could use a set of tutorials that covers how to use these kinds of features and how and why you need to do what you do.

Robert

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Hello,

I am using an Earthmate PN20 and RoboGeo to geotag my photos. I am currently working with a small set until I get the hang of things. I have successfully geotagged the photos. They show up find in Google Earth. When I upload them to SmugMug:

http://robertbarnettphotography.smugmug.com/

I see two pins on the map and even after waiting until the next day I still only see two pins. When I click on one of the pins I am taken to a larger map view with no pins, no photos no nothing.

Apparently you have to add captions to each photo before they will show up. I wish SmugMug would do a better job of letting people know about these things. No place that I saw in any information from SmugMug does it say you have to add captions.

Come on Smug, how about creating some quick and simple step-by-step guides for these kinds of things. You really could use a set of tutorials that covers how to use these kinds of features and how and why you need to do what you do.

Robert
    It's a bug, in our system, and we've discussed it before in our Bug Thread - we will get it fixed, sorry about the hassle :(
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Hi Robert wave.gif
    We haven't put this in the help pages, because it is a bug. It is not supposed to be like this, but we haven't exactly figured out what is going on, yet. We are working on it, it's a slippery one.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have any other questions/suggestions!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    lol3.gif two for the price of one! (I've got to get quicker at this reply-thing....)
  • Robert BarnettRobert Barnett Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Thanks but...
    Ok, so it is a bug and one that is proving hard to track down. So until you get it fixed you should make a note in the help about this. You can always remove the note once you do get it fixed.

It is interesting that it seems to be taking so long to fix. If memory serves this was a problem almost a year ago when I started playing with geotagging files by hand.

Maybe you should look at the Microsoft offering instead of Googles. Maybe it is a problem at Googles end?

Robert