Has this happened to anyone ?

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Cameras
Good Afternoon Folks,
I sold a Tamron 24-135mm lens today. It belonged to a neighbor who was not using it anymore. The gentleman who bought it was kind enough to bring his 5D along to test it :D After he attached the lens and took a few test shots, he let me hold the camera. I don't think he should have done that. After looking through the viewfinder and seeing how bright and big it is compared to my Xti, I had a very hard time giving it back to him. I shot a few pics and could not believe the images on the vf. Then he started to describe the 1600 iso shots he had taken. He just about had to pry it out of my hands to get it back :cry Now I really want a 5D. I'm afraid I can't face my Xti the same anymore. Is there a 5D anonymous club I can join :rofl
Has anyone else had this dilemma after having an Xti or similiar dslr ?
Thanks and have a good afternoon :D
Jim...

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I've not had that problem with camera bodies. I have, however, had the problem with lenses. With the first "L" I picked up and used - well, let me just say, "Hi, I'm Scott and I'm an "L"coholic." You all say, "Hi, Scott!"
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I've not had that problem with camera bodies. I have, however, had the problem with lenses. With the first "L" I picked up and used - well, let me just say, "Hi, I'm Scott and I'm an "L"coholic." You all say, "Hi, Scott!"

Hi Scott thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    Jim,

Never, ever, come close to a Canon 1D/1Ds camera of any kind. The mental anguish from separation anxiety cannot match the physical trauma to one's bank account.

It's a true lose (your mind), lose (your money), win (the opportunity to acquire amazing images) relationship. :cry thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Don't Try this at home...
    Even better, don't hold a 1DsMkIII with some L glass or you will be seriously in debt....to MasterCard, Visa and Amercian Express. You'll be really happy with the 5d and the Tammy...

ziggy53 wrote:
    Jim,

Never, ever, come close to a Canon 1D/1Ds camera of any kind. The mental anguish from separation anxiety cannot match the physical trauma to one's bank account.

It's a true lose (your mind), lose (your money), win (the opportunity to acquire amazing images) relationship. :cry thumb.gifclap
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited April 19, 2008
    Good Evening Folks,
    That you all very much for the input. While a 5D is well within my limits, I better stay away from the 1D/1Ds series to keep peace in the family :D
    I was blown away by the difference in just the viewfinder, not even realizing the hi iso quality. Now, since I have the experts' group onboard tonight mwink.gif , has anyone shot the 5D with any (brand) 14mm lens ? I know I cannot use my trusty Canon 10-22mm. Most of my interior shots are usually 10-12mm (16-18mm). Perhaps the 17-40 4.0 might be a better alternative ?
    Thanks again, and have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Try it with a 40D, you will see a similar viewfinder to the 5D at alot less $$...big difference from the XTi
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jim,

Laughing.gif Yup. I can say that while shooting a 1Ds Mk II side-by-side with my 20D I was thinking "what's the big deal over the VF?" but I also was thinking "jeeze, this AF is magic!" I really want a 1D Mk II (N) bad, if only I could afford the upgrade right now.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Laughing.gif Yup. I can say that while shooting a 1Ds Mk II side-by-side with my 20D I was thinking "what's the big deal over the VF?" but I also was thinking "jeeze, this AF is magic!" I really want a 1D Mk II (N) bad, if only I could afford the upgrade right now.

Good Afternoon,
    Yeah, I still haven't broke the news to my Xti that I'm filing for separation in the next week or two :cry I'm sure I'll find her a real good home when the time comes rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Just days after my first real camera purchase, my XT, I had a nice camera salesman cruelly pass me a 5d to play with...

Obviously, he's very good at his job.

Ever since then full frame has been on my list, really, really far down my budget, but high on my list.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Just days after my first real camera purchase, my XT, I had a nice camera salesman cruelly pass me a 5d to play with...

Obviously, he's very good at his job.

Ever since then full frame has been on my list, really, really far down my budget, but high on my list.
    Good Evening,
    That's probably something they tell the salesperson to do once the customer gets their (dslr) feet wet rolleyes1.gif Entice them in the digital camera world, then show them the next level and have em drool :cry What a concept.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    I sold a Tamron 24-135mm lens today. It belonged to a neighbor who was not using it anymore. The gentleman who bought it was kind enough to bring his 5D along to test it :D After he attached the lens and took a few test shots, he let me hold the camera. I don't think he should have done that. After looking through the viewfinder and seeing how bright and big it is compared to my Xti, I had a very hard time giving it back to him. I shot a few pics and could not believe the images on the vf. Then he started to describe the 1600 iso shots he had taken. He just about had to pry it out of my hands to get it back :cry Now I really want a 5D. I'm afraid I can't face my Xti the same anymore. Is there a 5D anonymous club I can join rolleyes1.gif
    Has anyone else had this dilemma after having an Xti or similiar dslr ?
    Thanks and have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...

I have been suffering from this problem for few years since the 5D was launched in 2005. I liked the spec but did not have chance to "hands-on" it till one day I made a special trip to Canon showroom and tested the body.

I did not separate from my 300D (Rebel) but just keep it in my bag as backup. I brought the 5D home. the 24-105L gave me a new look of digital photography then I was hooked to L lens. Then I got the 70-200 F2.8 IS and recently the 17-40 F4L.

The 5D has slimmer body than the 1D and most important the price was also much slimmer. I love the 5D particularly in the low light situation. The quick start and short shutter lag never let me down. Only problem is the big sensor attract dust easily and give me chance to clean it regularly.

You would be wrong if you get the 5D now. Althought it is a bit older by now, it is just mature enough to be appreciated like the ladies.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 22, 2008
    Just Today
    :cry I went to my local shop just to look. obviously this was a mistake. The salesman handed me the D3 with a nikon 70-200 vr attached.
    Well let's just say that my wish list just got longer as I added both items to it. If I bought this now, I wouldn't just be sleeping on the couch, but the couch would probably be in a very distant zip code. So I am putting this on santa's list!!!! :cry
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    The 40D did that to me!
    I actually didn't like the 5D compared to the XTi. Speed was my issue and it seemed to shoot slower. I ended up buying the 40D!

The MKIII's have me at attention now.

I'm in the same position as Scott with lenses :cry
    I can't afford anymore Top Shelf "L"iquor.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Hi Scott! lol3.gif

The 5D viewfinder is nice, but I did manage stay happy with my 300D. I'm not saying my 20D wasn't an improvement though :D

However, what did end up costing me a good bundle of money was the 100-400 L trombone. I still had the 300D kit lens as my standard zoom. It's a 17-55/2.8 IS now...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ryant35ryant35 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I occasnionally shoot with a 1D MKIIn on the weekends and I find it really hard to go back to my 40D.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I'll toss my 2 cent in. I'm a broke college student shooting a D70 and just hoping to break into a nice piece of glass via tax return. My boss, however, decided to bring in his new D300 that he purchased as the new 'family cam' replacing their D70s - he shoots a film hasselblad. Needless to say, I drooled, checked B&H, checked my checking account, and died a little inside... :cry
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    Truth be known I have been looking at scanning digital backs. No, I can't afford any of them. :cry

The grass is always greener ...

(... or the weeds in the case of my lawn. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 24, 2008
    I'll toss my 2 cent in. I'm a broke college student shooting a D70 and just hoping to break into a nice piece of glass via tax return. My boss, however, decided to bring in his new D300 that he purchased as the new 'family cam' replacing their D70s - he shoots a film hasselblad. Needless to say, I drooled, checked B&H, checked my checking account, and died a little inside... :cry

Time and money usually cannot go together. Some people got a lot of money to buy toys but just don't have time to enjoy the toys. We poor men have a bit more time but can enjoy our toys better.

Expensive tools doesn't guarentee good result. Simple camera may get nice picture. Photography is more art not technology. Money can buy techology but cannot get the artistic eyes.

Make good use of what you have and learn how to squeeze every single advantage from there. Get more time enjoy shooting.
    Photoskipper
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    That happend to me too. I am shooting with
    a 10D and a istDs (larger viewfinder than 40D)
    and I was ok with the viewfinder until I looked
    through a 5D with a 24-105mm/4.0 L attached.

I tried a a 1D III with 50mm/1.2 once but it's
    not as nice as fullframe. And the difference to
    APS-C isn't that great.

The digital picture has a comparison of the crop formats:
    Field-of-View-Crop-Factor.gif

One often reads about the merits of fullframe vs
    crop cameras but hardly anybody discusses what
    a difference the bright large viewfinder make. It
    enables you to actualy see what you're photographing! :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 24, 2008
    I think the full frame and brighter viewfinder just have indirect relationship. The bigger the sensor does not lead to the brighter viewfinder.
    Since the sensor is bigger, the mirror also need to be bigger. In order to get the image for the bigger sensor, the rear opening of the lens is bigger as well. So more light can go in.

Anyway, I enjoy the bright viewfinder and don't care what make it happen.wings.gif
    Photoskipper
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    wings.gifivarwings.gifivar

Hooray! I'm not alone in swimming up this stream! Ever since using a 1Ds Mk II alongside my 20D I have been asking what's the big deal over viewfinder. There's not all that much difference between the xxD and xD finders as far as I'm concerned; yes, the additional real estate aroudn the edges are well-used with useful information, but there's not a significant difference in perceived brightness. At least to me.
    Expensive tools doesn't guarentee good result. Simple camera may get nice picture. Photography is more art not technology. Money can buy techology but cannot get the artistic eyes.
    thumb.gif Thus the popularity of the Worst Camera Ever Made: the Holga. :D It's so bad, it's become good & the flaws become virtues (for example, I think mine doesn't have enough light leaks eek7.gifscratch).