Let's Hear It...

codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in People
I'd love to hear some honest critiques on my last few model shoots. I've been shooting models for about 4-5 months and it also led me to learn studio lighting. I really need to know what I'm doing and what I'm doing wrong (or what I need to improve on) for me to grow and develop my own creative style.

Here are some samples:
279205432_bouCV-M.jpg

279231453_eiMAC-M.jpg

280718805_fYprt-M-1.jpg

280722476_CFAeD-M-1.jpg

280849990_MBT5B-M.jpg

280883171_Xc8wS-M-1.jpg

280869121_8ZD8D-M-2.jpg

280875307_bUzJc-M-1.jpg
-Chris :)
http://simplyphotostudio.com
http://decayedbeauty.com

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Interesting angles thumb.gif

I love the third one (on the bed) #4 is also quite dramatic, #5 (white dress) very cute, #6 (wall) awesome .... #7 (wall) has to be my favorite. Love the angle on that one. Would have never thought about an option like this clap.gif

(Too bad you cut the foor & fingers off on#6 & #7 + try to photoshop her ear out on #2).

Love your light settings & colors. Exellent job thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I agree, interesting angles! #7 is my favorite also. Aside from the angle, I like the colors on the ground below her which makes for an interesting BG. I don't use studio lights, so my observations you can take with a grain of salt! rolleyes1.gif I like the dramatic lighting in shots #2-4, but I think the color might have been controlled a little better in #8 as it is creeping onto her neck ....perhaps it is just a bit too much. #1 the angle is not too flattering, making her nose quite prominent. I learned to crop "in the camera" from an instructor years ago and I tend to crop too tight leaving little room for adjusting later, so I can relate to losing toes, fingers, etc. Over all...good job!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    #3 I like alot. Great lighting, mood and capture! The only suggestions I would have are to find the right angles which "compliment" your model's facial features. It comes down to the look and style you wish to capture at the end. They all work, and the lighting is great on all of them. I like that you move around a great deal shooting from so many different angles. Keeps it interesting!

As far as lighting goes...there are no formulas....none....it's all about what look you want. If you were doing more traditional types of shoots, then there are some basic lighting techniques to implement but always a variation on a theme.

I like em...good job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    You've got an impressive variety of different looks here -- the points of view, the framing/composition, the lighting, and the settings. I especially like the lighting in about 2/3 of these. (but numbering the pics would be helpful :D ) The shot on the bed has it all thumb.gif
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Interesting angles thumb.gif

I love the third one (on the bed) #4 is also quite dramatic, #5 (white dress) very cute, #6 (wall) awesome .... #7 (wall) has to be my favorite. Love the angle on that one. Would have never thought about an option like this clap.gif

(Too bad you cut the foor & fingers off on#6 & #7 + try to photoshop her ear out on #2).

Love your light settings & colors. Exellent job thumb.gif

Thank you Angie :)

I try and go above and beyond in terms of a style and imagery and it seems to work well. I just have troubles moving up to the next level. People in my field of work are just extraordinary. The missing fingers and toes are poor visions on my end and I sometimes get so involved I don't look through the viewfinder as hard as I should. I tend to get stuck with expression and lighting and less involved with good basic portrait photography skills.

thumb.gif
    saurora wrote:
    I agree, interesting angles! #7 is my favorite also. Aside from the angle, I like the colors on the ground below her which makes for an interesting BG. I don't use studio lights, so my observations you can take with a grain of salt! rolleyes1.gif I like the dramatic lighting in shots #2-4, but I think the color might have been controlled a little better in #8 as it is creeping onto her neck ....perhaps it is just a bit too much. #1 the angle is not too flattering, making her nose quite prominent. I learned to crop "in the camera" from an instructor years ago and I tend to crop too tight leaving little room for adjusting later, so I can relate to losing toes, fingers, etc. Over all...good job!

Thank you for your honesty. I do notice the lighting issue in #8 and it was a tough call. I love letting some light spill especially if it's gelled light and in this instance it is a bit much. I have a few others that don't have the spill just her look wasn't as dramitic, which is tough to make a model do over and over again when they have only been doing it for a month.

The angles are a tough call... I know exactly what you mean about the nose and my brain tells my stop, but my heart tells my funky angles and lighting and it seems my heart wins more often than it should. Plus it makes her look like Jodie Foster lol.

I try to crop in camera, but since I'm just shy of a ful frame viewfinder I sometimes get in too tight thinking I can eye-ball the 4% I'm not see-ing.
    Swartzy wrote:
    #3 I like alot. Great lighting, mood and capture! The only suggestions I would have are to find the right angles which "compliment" your model's facial features. It comes down to the look and style you wish to capture at the end. They all work, and the lighting is great on all of them. I like that you move around a great deal shooting from so many different angles. Keeps it interesting!

As far as lighting goes...there are no formulas....none....it's all about what look you want. If you were doing more traditional types of shoots, then there are some basic lighting techniques to implement but always a variation on a theme.

I like em...good job.

Thank you.

That is a point I really should look into with the facial features. I mentor a top French photographer who gets to choose from 2 of 3 top modeling agencies in the world and his models don't have facial problems, nor skin problems, nor weight problems. I try to shoot in the same respects even though I shouldn't I'll have to weigh in the fact my models aren't going to be perfect in the ranks I'm in at the moment. It can all pass when I hit the bigs rolleyes1.gif
    1pocket wrote:
    You've got an impressive variety of different looks here -- the points of view, the framing/composition, the lighting, and the settings. I especially like the lighting in about 2/3 of these. (but numbering the pics would be helpful :D ) The shot on the bed has it all thumb.gif

Thank you :)

I always forget to number, plus I haven't been tracking these forums to see how most do things aroud here, but I'll learn in time.

The bed shot was actually a test shot which is why I love it so much. I metered all the light got her in approximately the position I wanted her in and viola the first shot I pop was a winner. It was tough to continue after that, but hey you can't have models driving in from an hour away and tell her to go home after one shot now can we.
  • Marshmallow ManMarshmallow Man Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    great series, i love them, however theyre very creative and keeps you interested, i think i would of chose some wider crops on a couple of them...ne_nau.gif

great work and great pp
    wings.gif
    - Roy

• codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    great series, i love them, however theyre very creative and keeps you interested, i think i would of chose some wider crops on a couple of them...ne_nau.gif

great work and great pp
    wings.gif

Thank you MM :)

I definitely get in their faces for a lot of shots and will hopefulyl expand to doing a larger variety of full length portraits next shoot.

Lucky for me I didn't PP any of these besides converting from my 25MB RAW files to JPEG to upload.
  • L The ShadowmanL The Shadowman Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Very nice shots. I like them a lot. I did not read all the comments so someone may have mentioned it but watch shots where you can see up your subject’s nose that can be an unflattering pose for women.