My attempt using fill flash outside

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in People
Please let me know your honest thoughts. Am I close to hitting a home run yet? :dunno

Post processing was a color boost, and a slight edge burn action, opacity decreased.
281843838_W9Ued-L.jpg

281843696_YWXdD-M.jpg

Comments

• codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    You did it just right :)

Beautiful looks and just the right amount of fill to make things blend well. thumb.gif

What color boost and action did you use?
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Agreed...
    no evidence of fill flash, the subject is well lit, so in my book, you succeded! Nice dof, too.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    codiac2600 wrote:
    You did it just right :)

Beautiful looks and just the right amount of fill to make things blend well. thumb.gif

What color boost and action did you use?

It's a free action from pioneerwoman.com

It is so worth looking at. There is a whole set of free actions that literally is saving me a lot of time.

Thanks for the fast response and positive feedback.iloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I think you have done a great job of adding in fill flash without introducing shadows. Your White balance seems a tad off though....causing the skin tones....especially in the first shot to appear a bit on the red side.

I have done some quick adjustments to give you a side by side comparison. If you find this offensive, I would be happy to remove them. It helps sometimes to see rather than recieve an explanation.
    Original
    281889506_m4pKe-S.jpg

WB Adjusted....added in a bit of exposure
    281888186_AtT9m-S.jpg

Original and one with WB, exposure, and contrast
    281889487_yBHAS-M.jpg281888167_v53Qj-M.jpg
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    not offended, how else but to learn from others. But, here's the thing....I always seem to lean toward the red area in my pics. Why? that is frustrating. I'm beginning to wonder if it's my eyes, seriously because I dont' usually see the reddish huene_nau.gif but, sometimes..... you know? :D
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think you have done a great job of adding in fill flash without introducing shadows. Your White balance seems a tad off though....causing the skin tones....especially in the first shot to appear a bit on the red side.

I have done some quick adjustments to give you a side by side comparison. If you find this offensive, I would be happy to remove them. It helps sometimes to see rather than recieve an explanation.
    Original
    281889506_m4pKe-S.jpg

WB Adjusted....added in a bit of exposure
    281888186_AtT9m-S.jpg

Original and one with WB, exposure, and contrast
    281889487_yBHAS-M.jpg281888167_v53Qj-M.jpg
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I hear ya.....mwink.gif

I get in trouble if I spend too much time in front of a PC. Everything begins to look the same. If you are calibrating your monitor you surely cannot blame it on that!!!rolleyes1.gif

I shoot the majority of my photos in the exact conditions your two appear to have been shot. Overcast or shade outdoors, and typically using fill flash. I shoot RAW+jpeg and set WB later in post production. I set the WB on my camera to cloudy so that the jpegs I view onscreen will be somewhat near what I will be looking for in post. Maybe something I do that is different is to use a color correcting gel on the flash. This tints the flash to blue....like the light we find in shady areas. This helps to balance color temperatures of the subject with that of the BG. Your photos seemed fine in this respect. I only truely notice a big shift when using the flash at stronger settings. The technique helps to keep the photos from looking "flashy". One advantage with the gel is that it seems to "knock out" some of the reds in skin tones. Maybe I am imagining this, but I haven't had the problems with it that I used to.....at least not as severe and often.

As far as exposure, if your camera has a histogram, use it to set exposure. Try to get your values to shift as far to the right as possible without blowing your highlights. This will get you more punch out of camera with less work in post.

Hope this is of some help.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    First, your cheating. The little girl is way too cute to take a bad photo. :D

I think the flash work looks very good. I might want to try brighting up the images a little, but Jeff's post while nice, is a little more than I would personally do.

Sam
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    but Jeff's post while nice, is a little more than I would personally do.

Sam

+1 here too. Somewhere inbetween would be to my liking.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Can't see the flash. Looks great to me!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Julie, these are done very well. I don't think you have a white balance issue...in fact the colors are very close. The first one, her red skin tones could come down just a little. The greens and yellows on Jeff's mod are too saturated from here (24 inch IMac display w/10 profiles). I think you could just add a tiny bit of curves pop...but not too much otherwise the facial features get blown out. There is no evidence of flash in these and blended perfectly.

Very nice indeed.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone, your replies were so encouraging. With Jeff's response, it did help me to "see" the red. So I am watching out for that as I finish editing the rest of the pictures.

Thanks againiloveyou.gif
    Swartzy wrote:
    Julie, these are done very well. I don't think you have a white balance issue...in fact the colors are very close. The first one, her red skin tones could come down just a little. The greens and yellows on Jeff's mod are too saturated from here (24 inch IMac display w/10 profiles). I think you could just add a tiny bit of curves pop...but not too much otherwise the facial features get blown out. There is no evidence of flash in these and blended perfectly.

Very nice indeed.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    (24 inch IMac display w/10 profiles).
    Why on earth do you need 10 profiles?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why on earth do you need 10 profiles?

Heheh, sRGB, Adobe 1998, WHCC, Colormetric, EZPrints....well, you get the idea.:D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Agreed... I cannot see the flash.

Not bad shots. Looks as though she is not a very willing model. :D
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    skin tones
    I like the first one. I have a calibrated monitor and the one adjusted looks like the highlights are blown a bit. Also it really adds dark look around the eyes. The original shot looks more natural to me, possible bump up the curves in the skin just a bit? Cute picture.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Your flash work looks good. I agree that you need to bump up the exposure a touch and work on the white balance a little (it's not too far off to me), but that stuff's easy enough in post. Getting the right level of flash is much harder.

Caroline
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    they look great! I agree about the exposure bump, and maybe warm it slightly. Care to share the process? Like I'm assuming it was an external flash mounted on camera, but I'm not sure...how did you determine the output? I've always wondered what a good technique is for using fill outdoors. Did you have it pointing directly on her?
  • TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Perfect with the flash! bowdown.gif
    edited August 6, 2009
    wow this is an old post. Laughing.gif This was taken with my d40x...on camera flash. I had just used a piece of TP to cover the flash. This was taken before I had an external flash, or reflector. :)