Ready in Five...

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 21, 2008 in People
I usually grab a few shots like this when my daughters are getting ready for some sort of event. This first shot was from her senior prom night. The second was her junior prom last year.

281919064_qmSzX-XL.jpg

78206812.vpN2qFrc.77863431_h_ltered.jpg

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Nice Work! Especially for 'grabbing a few shots'.
    Great conversion too. I really like the second shot, really well composed.
    Keep up the good work, I really enjoy your shots. You have very pretty daughters too clap.gif
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I like them both. I remember seeing the 2nd and it's still a great shot. I love the first as well.....some sort of film filter? Pretty girl with great shots.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Beautiful shots, especially #2, I really like the non-straight angle and old/sepia looks that brought out the best exposure.
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Interesting effect in the first one. Was this an overlay that you created, or a packaged item? Also, I was wondering how your daughter, as an attractive but presumably somewhat self-conscious teenager, felt about the spotting effect on her skin. Would she have preferred a little more selective masking, so the effect was more on the perimeter?

Both shots display effective use of the tilted frame -- not usually one of my favorite gimmicks :D
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I added the second shot in this post as an afterthought. As Swartzy mentioned, I posted it in the "whipping post" (I think) last year. I was proud of it at the time as a nice story telling type photo. For those of you who have kids I must say that I have not seen her sit in the sink and apply make-up since that day....even though it was a routine occurance then. So. That makes me extremely happy that I was there, then, to capture that 1/60th second of her life once and for all. The tilt there was of neccessity to get everything in the frame that I wanted in as I was using a prime lense in a tight area. Existing light.

The first shot (from this year) is really completely different. I used a 17-55mm zoom, and bounced flash off a nearby wall. The aged effect is a simple texture applied as a layer in overlay blending mode.

For both I chose a square crop just because I really like the square crops produced by medium format cameras. I got lucky on the duotones. I pulled up the second shot after converting the first and realized I had used the same tones. Pure luck!!!

Thanks ALL for looking and commenting.....and don't forget to take some photos of your kids!!!....TODAY!!!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I love the aged look of the first. Love looking at your photographs because they are always so beautifully done!

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I added the second shot in this post as an afterthought. As Swartzy mentioned, I posted it in the "whipping post" (I think) last year. I was proud of it at the time as a nice story telling type photo. For those of you who have kids I must say that I have not seen her sit in the sink and apply make-up since that day....even though it was a routine occurance then. So. That makes me extremely happy that I was there, then, to capture that 1/60th second of her life once and for all. The tilt there was of neccessity to get everything in the frame that I wanted in as I was using a prime lense in a tight area. Existing light.

The first shot (from this year) is really completely different. I used a 17-55mm zoom, and bounced flash off a nearby wall. The aged effect is a simple texture applied as a layer in overlay blending mode.

For both I chose a square crop just because I really like the square crops produced by medium format cameras. I got lucky on the duotones. I pulled up the second shot after converting the first and realized I had used the same tones. Pure luck!!!

Thanks ALL for looking and commenting.....and don't forget to take some photos of your kids!!!....TODAY!!!
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thank you for the kind comment.

It is always a toss up (for me)to do something as I did in the first shot. I tend more often than not to go for straight up color, or monotone looks. One of my favorite looks is that of old photographs. I have experimented a hundred different ways of trying to get "the look". I have still never quite achived anything I would save as an action that I could go back to...and reuse. I like the look of #1, but still feel it falls short of what I would like to see. It is fun to try though...as anything is possible! I am getting very close to something in color to save as an action. Very very close. Still tooling around with the monotones though!!

Everything done to both of these followed a LAB conversion to BW. My method of choice.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I LOVE the second shot! It looks perfect! The color is awesome!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I REALLY like these! Nice PP (Post Processing)!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited April 21, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    I LOVE the second shot! It looks perfect! The color is awesome!

I love it too!!!

Thanks for having a look!
    edited April 21, 2008
    I REALLY like these! Nice PP (Post Processing)!
    Thanks for the kind comments.