Irritants

ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
There are two things that are really starting to irritate me more and more these days with Smugmug.

The first irritant is the Stats. Basically they suck!

There is no rhyme nor reason on how they are presented. They are not sorted by name. they are not sorted by activity. I can get a half dozen galleries with no hits before I see any with activity.

The second irritant is how galleries are listed in drop down menus such as 'Move photo'. There is no sort. Actually there probably is a sort. I suspect it is based on first created gallery listed first, last created gallery listed last. Makes it real easy to quickly locate a gallery you created a while back. [NOT!]<not!>

And before anyone suggests that I can fix one or the other through customizing -- I can't, I'm a basic user.

Are these irritants enough to make me leave Smugmug. No, they aren't. But after almost three years here, they are enough to make me wonder if I should start looking at other sites to see what they offer these days.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--></not!>

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Hi, thanks for posting about these two things. Yes indeed, they are bad, both of them.

The 2nd is far easier to fix than the first, I think, and I'll make sure the sorcerer who's working on that area right now sees your post. Happens to be our president and co-founder, Baldy thumb.gif I can't make any promises as to a change - but I can promise you that he'll see it.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    ghealy wrote:
    The second irritant is how galleries are listed in drop down menus such as 'Move photo'. There is no sort. Actually there probably is a sort. I suspect it is based on first created gallery listed first, last created gallery listed last. Makes it real easy to quickly locate a gallery you created a while back. [NOT!]...<not!> <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]--></not!>
    A simple solution to get around this is first rename the "move to" gallery. I add
    as x in front of the name. Then in the "move to" drop hit the x on your
    keyboard and it jumps to the xgalleryname. Then after move remove the x.

This is especially helpful if you have galleries with the same name in different
    categories.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, thanks for posting about these two things. Yes indeed, they are bad, both of them.

The 2nd is far easier to fix than the first, I think, and I'll make sure the sorcerer who's working on that area right now sees your post. Happens to be our president and co-founder, Baldy thumb.gif I can't make any promises as to a change - but I can promise you that he'll see it.

Thanks, Andy.
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    A simple solution to get around this is first rename the "move to" gallery. I add
    as x in front of the name. Then in the "move to" drop hit the x on your
    keyboard and it jumps to the xgalleryname. Then after move remove the x.

This is especially helpful if you have galleries with the same name in different
    categories.

Thanks for the suggestions, Allen.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    11doh.gif Such an easy workaround, Allen. Why didn't I think of that?

The "unsorted" gallery dropdows in indeed annoying, and becomes more of one the more galleries you have. Even with Pro accounts, you cannot fix that right now. Should be a relatively simple fix (spoken as a web developer who's built more than one dropdown...).