What's the best all purpose lense?

rukvarukva Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited April 23, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all,

I have a canon d400 (not sure what it is called in the US) and I am thinking of buying a lense for it. Currently I have the standard 18-55mm it comes with and a Tamron f3.8/5.6 28-200mm, I like the Tamron but it's end results are not as sharp as I would like.

So, I do a lot of nature and landscape photography and I need a realy good all purpose lense lense, I was thinkinf of the canon f2.8 70-200mm IS but I am unsure it will suit my needs.

Any comments and help would be appreciated.......

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 20, 2008
    Rukva, Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L IS USM is an excellent telephoto zoom, usable wide open and by f4 splendid in just about every way.

For sports, nature and some portraiture it has very nice qualities. I have used (the non-IS version) for some scenic photography but it would not necessarily be my first choice in a landscape lens.

I suggest you review your existing images to see how often you use that focal length range.

For instance reviewing my own images, I use an 18-50mm (ish) f2.8 for most personal images and then the 70-200mm range is next most common.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rukvarukva Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy,

The Canon lense is quite long and a bit heavy, I was wondering how easy it would be to carry it arround attached to the camera?
    I am used to a hand grip and theTamron is OK to carry like that, I woner if i can carry the Canon in the same way?
    Also by searching arround in the forums Image stabilization is the way to go pitty it cost just that much more, although It might just save me carrying my tripod arround with me all the time.

I like the Canon bu it cost quite a bit here in Oz. So is there an alternative lense, maybe?
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    rukva wrote:
    So is there an alternative lense, maybe?

Yes...the 70-200 f/4 IS is highly regarded.deal.gif
    edited April 20, 2008
    If I have the 70-200mm attached to one of Canon's smaller cameras I tend to hold the lens and not the camera. I even cradle the lens in my arm like one might cradle a baby. On the 1D sized camera I tend to hold the camera body with the lens pointed down to move it around a room.

A hand strap would probably give more confidance in holding by the camera.

I have the non-IS version of that lens and I do fine for my needs.

A lot of people also like the Sigma 70-200mm, f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro. Another heavy lens I do think that the Canon lens is somewhat better wide open. The Sigma is not available in a stabilized version (yet).
    ziggy53
    edited April 20, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Yes...the 70-200 f/4 IS is highly regarded.deal.gif

Oh yeah, I agree with Ric.

The Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM version is my very next lens purchase. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited April 21, 2008
    Hmm, the the f/4 sounds very impressive, I just read up on it on the net, I will go and check it out, I have a Tamron 2 times converter which I sometimes use with my f3.8/5.6 I am hoping that I can use it with the Canon. Is the f/4 suitable for portraits? I don't do too many of them, just wondering......
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    rukva wrote:
    Hmm, the the f/4 sounds very impressive, I just read up on it on the net, I will go and check it out, I have a Tamron 2 times converter which I sometimes use with my f3.8/5.6 I am hoping that I can use it with the Canon. Is the f/4 suitable for portraits? I don't do too many of them, just wondering......

YES f4 is alright for portraits...just have the background a bit farther back if you want it to blurr and that will take some practice...........

I have used f2.8-4 zoom lenses (Vivatar 70-210 f2.8-4) for weddings and portraits formany years until it was borrowed by a stranger without my permission.....worked fine for me ....just gotta remember that 70mm can be a td long in some situations...like shooting in small living rooms for famil portraits but if those portraits are outdoors then it is a great lens length....as the prime range from 90mm to 135 were considered "portrait" lenses and probably still are forthose shooting full frame...............now I use two lenses both f2.8 both sigma a 24-70 and 70-210............and it is the 70-210 most of the time for me.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 21, 2008
    Just had a quick look at the f4 and yes it sits great on the d400 even when I use the hand grip, it is bit longer then my tamron but it's quite manageble. I will bring in my own camera tomorrow with the tamron 2X converter and check it out some more.
    Looks like it is a good all rounder though, here in Oz it costs about $AUD1700.00 but I have seen it cheaper on e-bay.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I agree with Ric.

The Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM version is my very next lens purchase. thumb.gif
    And mine. A good deal lighter than the f2.8 & with that magical IS. Razor sharp also ive read as was its predecessor the non f4 IS...
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I just got the 70-200 f/4 L IS and I'm lovin' it! It's just barely heavier than my workhorse 17-55 2.8 IS, so it's really pleasant to carry on my 40D (although I haven't tested this out on a long shoot yet). Anyway, if you're looking for this range, I'd give it a thumb.gif.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    rukva wrote:
    I like the Canon bu it cost quite a bit here in Oz. So is there an alternative lense, maybe?
    Its what you want to pay v's what you want from your photos. Same as anything...you get what you pay for & canon L lenses are all the are cracked up to be. I have 3 (or 4headscratch.gif ) & they are amazing.

I understand about here in 0z though & the best bet is to buy from the forums with a poster that has a good rep. America is full of good second hand lenses unlike here & unfortunately time & time again many US sellers will not sell outside of the US because...because...well i dont really know but most simply wont do it. ne_nau.gif I dont know...maybe dragons or the sea ends or something.

If i wanted a lens these days i would use our own lens trader Remford

I saw a 70-200 f4 IS going here for cash in brisbane for $1000 a few weeks back...man did that take some strength to hold back from.

The long & the short of it is that you honestly need good quality lenses to secure repetitious good quality photos...the ability to 'compose' great photos is up to you but you will be in front to start with with a good lens...dont skimp on it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    if you have a tridpod and can do without the is of the canon lenses then I would suggest taking a look at the Sigma line like Ziggy53 suggested...Sigma makes darn good lenses and they are a lot less expensive than camera brand lenses................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Any of the 70-200 lenses will work well. I've used all variations except the f/4 IS & have been pleased with them all. The one I own is the non-IS f/2.8; I have carried it around all day using an Op/Tech strap & it's fine. I don't really miss the IS myself. Like ziggy said, look at your current images to find trends in your shooting style. Is the 70-200 range appropriate? Is f/2.8 used often since you pay a price and weight premium for it.

I don't recommend TCs on the 70-200s as my experience has been less than satisfying. Under perfect conditions you can get good images, but anything requiring opening the lens up degrades IQ rapidly. I'd rather get a longer lens instead--in fact that is my current plan.

For landscapes I'd think the UWA zooms would be high on the list as well. Particuarly the Canon 10-22/3.5-4.5 or Tokina 12-24/4 (I prefer the latter).
    edited April 21, 2008
    Thanks all,
    I think I managed to get "the financial controler" at our place to agree spending some money on the new lense, I will go and check out all the lenses recommended here.
    As I said I do use my Tamron 28-200 most of the time so I am looking for a similar but better quality lense.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Any ideas on this lense, Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro, I havent seen any reviews but just the basic anouncements on it?
    edited April 22, 2008
    Just a few threads down:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=84098
    ziggy53
    edited April 23, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Oops! should have searched, sorry and thanks.........